Player Discussion Adam McQuaid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
On a pathetically soft team that lacks leadership and toughness Adam McQuaid is an important part of the team. Unless Sweeney is planning on adding a tougher 3rd pairing D for less money that stands up for his teammates, hits and fights he should be resigned.

For everybody that wanted Thornton gone so badly last off season, even though he is clearly at the end of his career, tell me he wouldn't have made this team tougher and brought more leadership than Seth Griffin or Simon Gagne.

Team has lost leadership and toughness over and over the past three off seasons, at some point it has to stop.

Chara, Bergy, Kelly, lately Lucic. Don't think they lack leadership and really don't think McQuaid brings any.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong. But I think the rules changed for UFA's before July 1 after the last CBA revision. Anyone savy on that?

Yes agents and other teams can now talk in advance but not sign contracts until July 1. I'm not sure how many days it is.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Chara, Bergy, Kelly, lately Lucic. Don't think they lack leadership and really don't think McQuaid brings any.

To me standing up for your teammates is leadership and McQuaid and Kelly were the only ones who did that with regularity last year.

BadBruins

Aug 10, 2005
PEI
Wouldn't shock me. The Bruins are down the another RH defenseman with Hamilton out.

This organization is being run backwards.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Armed with a new four-year contract and with six NHL seasons now on his resume, Boston Bruins defenseman Adam McQuaid said his sights are set on taking on more of a leadership role.

http://bruins.nhl.com/club/blogpost.htm?id=41127&navid=DL|BOS|home

"I've been here for a little while now, and I do want to take that next step," McQuaid told the Bruins website Friday after a captains' practice at Ristuccia Arena. "I want to try and bring more to the table, hopefully play a little bit more in a top-four role, but at the end of the day, it's all about what works within the team and the system, and whatever brings success."

McQuaid, 28, lost much of his 2013-14 season to injuries but rebounded to play in 63 games last season and had one goal and six assists.

He was set to become an unrestricted free agent on July 1 and initially wasn't sure the Bruins would bring him back. But not long after trading defenseman Dougie Hamilton to the Calgary Flames at the 2015 NHL Draft, the Bruins signed McQuaid to a long-term contract with an average annual value of $2.75 million.

"They're putting faith in me, and I want to reward that faith," he said. "… I didn't foresee things happening the way they did, but obviously, I'm very excited to be back. It's an organization that has done a lot for me, and I want to continue to win here."

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Armed with a new four-year contract and with six NHL seasons now on his resume, Boston Bruins defenseman Adam McQuaid said his sights are set on taking on more of a leadership role.

http://bruins.nhl.com/club/blogpost.htm?id=41127&navid=DL|BOS|home

"I've been here for a little while now, and I do want to take that next step," McQuaid told the Bruins website Friday after a captains' practice at Ristuccia Arena. "I want to try and bring more to the table, hopefully play a little bit more in a top-four role, but at the end of the day, it's all about what works within the team and the system, and whatever brings success."

McQuaid, 28, lost much of his 2013-14 season to injuries but rebounded to play in 63 games last season and had one goal and six assists.

He was set to become an unrestricted free agent on July 1 and initially wasn't sure the Bruins would bring him back. But not long after trading defenseman Dougie Hamilton to the Calgary Flames at the 2015 NHL Draft, the Bruins signed McQuaid to a long-term contract with an average annual value of $2.75 million.

"They're putting faith in me, and I want to reward that faith," he said. "… I didn't foresee things happening the way they did, but obviously, I'm very excited to be back. It's an organization that has done a lot for me, and I want to continue to win here."

I don't think many here doubt Quaider's heart and toughness. I thought he played well last year. I am happy the B's signed him

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
McQuaid in the top 4 means trouble. Guy is Rasks worst nightmare.

quite the opposite actually, the issue I have with Quaider and this D as a whole is lack of foot speed but Quaider does position himself well in spite of the lack of speed

Miller far worse with the puck than McQuaid

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Two time Cup regular making under $3 m in his 20's still

biggest no brainah in the history of life to bring him back

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
quite the opposite actually, the issue I have with Quaider and this D as a whole is lack of foot speed but Quaider does position himself well in spite of the lack of speed

I like Quaider and Krug. Stay at home and speedy ...

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I like Quaider and Krug. Stay at home and speedy ...

Agree arguably best third pair in league and each can play top 4 in a specific special team

Love the speed, skill, and youth of Colin Miller and Krug and the toughness of McQuaid and Kevan Miller

Impressed by the direction Sweeney is taking this defense by signing McQuaid, drafting specific types, and resisting giving Franson a multi year deal to date (with the news that Colin Miller can both fly & be invisible) I am backing off signing Franson

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA

McQuaid took massive steps forward last season with the puck. Head up, looking for breakouts and transition. First season I wasn't scared when he had the puck. Defensively he is great.

I suppose it isn't crazy to think McQuaid may improve slightly more into a true top 4 defenseman but I don't expect it. Seems like a high salary for an injured 10 point defenseman.... but then again he is our only player who defends teammates now.

Patrice Krejci*

Pastafarian
Aug 12, 2014
Washington DC
He's the only guy who clears the crease and knocks players around when they're in Rasks grill. I'd say quite the opposite.

He also flops around and falls directly in front of Rask a lot as well. One of the main reasons I prefer Miller over McQuaid. Balance.

I'm all for giving him a shot but I'm skeptical.

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
He also flops around and falls directly in front of Rask a lot as well. One of the main reasons I prefer Miller over McQuaid. Balance.

I'm all for giving him a shot but I'm skeptical.

I hope it happens ,McQuaid succeeding in a top 4 role but as you mention I am also skeptical. The D seems so weak at the moment,it was weak with Hamilton here and now ??

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Adam McQuaid Could Have Larger Role For Bruins After New Contract
http://nesn.com/2015/09/adam-mcquaid-could-have-larger-role-for-bruins-after-new-contract/

However, with the Bruins making some small adjustments to their game this season that aim to improve breakouts and use a little more speed in the transition game, McQuaid will have to adapt slightly from the way he normally plays.
“It’ll be a bit of an adjustment. We’ve played a certain way for a while here. You kind of get used to that,†McQuaid said.
“Guys are excited about the new challenge of trying to change things up a little bit here. We worked quite a bit on it today and I’m sure we’ll keep working on it. It’ll be something, at first, we might have to think about, but then it will become second nature here pretty quick.€

DitClapper

May 15, 2014
McQuaid has one of the best break out passes on the team. That's what puts him so far ahead of Miller in my book.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad