Confirmed with Link: Adam Lowry Signed to ELC

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Adam Lowry is going to be an NHL player before most of you expect it will happen.

He is a beast.

What do you believe would be the optimal time line now Gump? I think most of us (or at least me) are pleasantly surprised by how he has adapted to the AHL game with bigger faster men. My only fear is that he is so responsible and coach friendly that Noel loves him and Adam joins the Jets in the fall but gets pigeonholed in the bottom 6 as a checking centre or LW. In some ways I feel a year in the AHL playing allot of quality top 6 minutes might not be a bad place for him to grow, and be leaned on at the next level. A part of me believes that a slightly more patient path could mean Adam is a long term top 6 asset vs. a bottom 6 asset but who knows maybe I am being too cautious?

Wow I just Lawless'd you Gump.....all I forgot to say was "do you agree with me" ;):laugh:

Rheged

JMFT
Feb 19, 2010
Winnipeg
Good stuff, wonder if Yuen or Brassard will be signing shortly.

Yuen I'd think will be kept around for sure, not as certain about Brassard.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
I agree. You guys might laugh at me, but I believe Adam could stick next year. And if he does go back to the rock, I don't see him staying there too long.

It is definitely a possibility.

Of course it will depend on what happens in the off-season, but there should be a roster spot or two to battle for. Then again, the glut of bottom 6 forwards could create a bit of an impasse. It will be interesting to see what happens.

Slater, Wright and Thorburn are already locked up although parting with Thor wouldn't sadden me. Burmi, Peluso and Tanger probably will be retained. O'Dell should / could be in that mix since he is waiver eligible. Cormier could be in there too, but I could also see him on the outs. Realistically Olli should be in the bottom six convo too, but I doubt he will be. Outside of #2C/RW or #3C/LW I'm not quite sure where where Lowry could slot in.

Will Chevy try to let one of these young pieces grow into the vacant #2RW slot?

Will he add and a free agent and let them fight it out? If he does, he could end up losing a young piece or two to waivers.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
Great news. I think he's been playing C during his short stint in St. John's, but I will be very interested to see where they slot him in next year full time.

As others have said, it would be great if they think of him as a C, and want to develop him into our own Hanzal type to go against the bigger C's of the league.

This would be great. At a minimum if we could get 30-50 points from Lowry as a consistent 2nd-3rd line, two-way forward, I'd be very happy. I'd love to have a center Lowry's size playing in the 2-3 slot who we could put out against the big bulls of the Western Conference - Getzlaf, Toews, Kopitar, etc.

Yea Guerzy I look at this group as the first grads from juniors and collage on "the program" that TNSE wants to use.....we are getting close to populating the NHL roster with a few of them and we might have 1 more year (perhaps less) where the three get some AHL time and then away we go.

People downplay the natural void that was left between when Burmi joined the NHL and the next drafted Jet will join the team. If you throw out Reds and Postma because they were both older than Burmi and actually developed through the system there will be a 3 to 4 year lull in young high end prospects populating the roster. That is a growing pain that I really hope pays off by bringing in more NHL ready talent who have developed a bit more fully.

Scheif, Lowry, and Trouba should be the first wave and I think being able to take 6 picks in the first three rounds this year could be huge as well. It's really hard to have patience and often GM's are not afforded the luxury by their ownership group or the market they play in. I am really looking forward to next season and watching these three in particular young men come of age in our Org.

Adam was a heck of a 3rd round draft pick hats off to TNSE for getting that one right.

Well said. The next couple to few years will be very exciting as we see our prospects graduate their junior leagues and join the pro ranks of the Jets system.

As much as Lukas Sutter is looking like a not so "ideal" 2nd round pick "talent wise", I still have hopes for him to be a pain in the ass, pest, tough, in your face, PK'ing bottom 6 forward. There are a lot of 2nd round picks that don't amount to squat but have some talent, and in hindsight you may look back and think "I wish we took a guy like Brandon Prust in the 2nd round" even though he was never 2nd round "talent". Prust was taken in the 3rd round of the 2004 draft. So long as we can get useful players out of our draft picks, I am game for that given how hit or miss drafting actually is. I understand though that you still have to draft and take a chance on talented kids whether they are hit or miss or not. Drafting is such a hard task in terms of where the kids actually develop and pan out years after being drafted.

Jesus Christ Horburn

Aug 22, 2008
Between Scheifele, Trouba, Lowry, Samuels-Thomas, Hellebuyck, O'Dell and Olkinuora, I am a happy Jets fan.

What position did Lowry switch to when he exploded offensively?

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
I remember they had someone on the radio talking about him and how his game just exploded and you can sure see it looking at these game by game numbers

http://www.whl.ca/roster/gameByGame/id/484/ls_season/242
The offensive explosion seemingly coincided with his move from the wing to centre.

His late sesson slow down also seemed to have something to do with position switching.

I would really like to see him developed as a centre, even if it means he needs more time on the Rock. Not saying that would slow him, but it would be worth the wait if it did.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Between Scheifele, Trouba, Lowry, Samuels-Thomas, Hellebuyck, O'Dell and Olkinuora, I am a happy Jets fan.

What position did Lowry switch to when he exploded offensively?

moved to centre from LW

jigglysquishy

Jun 20, 2011
Regina, Saskatchewan
The offensive explosion seemingly coincided with his move from the wing to centre.

His late sesson slow down also seemed to have something to do with position switching.

I would really like to see him developed as a centre, even if it means he needs more time on the Rock. Not saying that would slow him, but it would be worth the wait if it did.

For sure. He has the size to become a good #2 C. If we can't find a true number 1 centre, we can always run 3 #2Cs in Burmi, Lowry and Scheifele.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

100% agree.

If it goes right and he reach's his potential we would have a 6'5" 220 pound (when he fills out) centre that is smart and has leadership skills. Having him go up against the other big centre's in the West is an appealing thought.

shakey1

Jun 22, 2012
Good signing Chevy is doing a good job finding guys with some size. The Jets are going to need it when we move to the west.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
As much as Lukas Sutter is looking like a not so "ideal" 2nd round pick "talent wise", I still have hopes for him to be a pain in the ass, pest, tough, in your face, PK'ing bottom 6 forward. There are a lot of 2nd round picks that don't amount to squat but have some talent, and in hindsight you may look back and think "I wish we took a guy like Brandon Prust in the 2nd round" even though he was never 2nd round "talent". Prust was taken in the 3rd round of the 2004 draft. So long as we can get useful players out of our draft picks, I am game for that given how hit or miss drafting actually is. I understand though that you still have to draft and take a chance on talented kids whether they are hit or miss or not. Drafting is such a hard task in terms of where the kids actually develop and pan out years after being drafted.

The best pests are the ones that can score at a 2nd or 3rd line level. It would be nice if Kossy could fill that void over the long term. He seems to have some agitator in him.

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace
What do you believe would be the optimal time line now Gump? I think most of us (or at least me) are pleasantly surprised by how he has adapted to the AHL game with bigger faster men. My only fear is that he is so responsible and coach friendly that Noel loves him and Adam joins the Jets in the fall but gets pigeonholed in the bottom 6 as a checking centre or LW. In some ways I feel a year in the AHL playing allot of quality top 6 minutes might not be a bad place for him to grow, and be leaned on at the next level. A part of me believes that a slightly more patient path could mean Adam is a long term top 6 asset vs. a bottom 6 asset but who knows maybe I am being too cautious?

Wow I just Lawless'd you Gump.....all I forgot to say was "do you agree with me" ;):laugh:

I don't think you are being cautious; I think it will depend upon how comfortable (or not) they'd be with going with three rookies in the lineup next season, because I already have both Scheifele and Trouba penciled in. I suspect though that the outcome will be more fluid than anything we can envision here, that perhaps all three players will spend at least some time with the IceCaps this coming season as well as with the Jets.

I've been watching Adam Lowry play since he was 16 so I'm clearly biased in anything I say about the guy. Personally, I think he could replace Burmistrov basically tomorrow if they needed him there in that spot - as a third/fourth line C. I also think they could drop him into that open second line RW spot next season and play him on his off-wing, because when you watch him play at C... he sure loves to spend a lot of time in the other team's end of the rink banging in the right corner.

So anyway, the IceCaps last game is Sunday. I hope they throw Lowry a bone and bring into Winnipeg to at least skate with the team, akin to what they've done with Trouba.

Last edited:

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
(...)

So anyway, the IceCaps last game is Sunday. I hope they throw Lowry a bone and bring into Winnipeg to at least skate with the team, akin to what they've done with Trouba.

That would be great! Nice way to start to get him acclimated to the bigs, give him something to shoot for, etc.

That said, given that they've stuffed Trouba between the goalies due to lack of room in the dressing room, Lowry might have to figure out how to jam his 6'5" frame into an equipment locker somewhere. ;)

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
I don't see Lowry as a winger under Noel. His system seems to really emphasise attacking with speed down the wings and I don't think Lowry has the speed. With the exception of Wellwood and Thorbs all are winger are great skaters.

I think he'll play the full year out in St. John's being groomed as a 2/3 center. I don't see him beating out one of Little /Jokinen / Scheifele / Burmi / Slater for a center spot.

I don't see Jokinen / Schiefele or Slater moving to play wing so I don't see a spot for Lowry this year.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Hold on a sec guys...

20 year old Alex Burmistrov scored 3 points in 4 AHL games.

20 year old Adam Lowry has scored 1 point in 6 AHL games.

Doesn't that mean Lowry is even more limited offensively?

Oh nooooo!!!

#youngplayers

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
Burmistrov had 11 points in 22 games and is in his 3rd pro season.
Lowry is in his 6th pro game

#applesandoranges
Before playing in the AHL Burmistrov had played 212 games in NA. Lowry has played 243 games of major junior. #perspective

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad