Player Discussion Adam Larsson

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
E0oWCZnXMAA463W.jpg

Shoutout to Larsson, confirms what a beast he’s been 5 on 5 defensively.

Saw this on the Mackenzie Weegar for Norris thread on the mains. Larsson is 4th for WAR amongst all D men, matches the eye test.

After that rough 10 or so first games, he’s played the best hockey of his career.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
This is no knock on Larsson, and I think he has had a very good season, but that list (what is War actually, how is it quantified?) List has a lot of um odd names on it. I mean any list where Tanev and somebody named Weegar are leading sounds like the metric may not mean a whole lot.

I mean serious question. Who here even heard of Mackenzie Weegar, the 7th round pick, before this season? Did he go from nobody to Norris? I haven't even glanced at the mains convo but probably a lot of it based on +/- and anything else which are team metrics.. Aren't this seasons Weegar stats simply connected to how Florida has done as a club this season?

Reactions: dawunderboy

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
This is no knock on Larsson, and I think he has had a very good season, but that list (what is War actually, how is it quantified?) List has a lot of um odd names on it. I mean any list where Tanev and somebody named Weegar are leading sounds like the metric may not mean a whole lot.

I mean serious question. Who here even heard of Mackenzie Weegar, the 7th round pick, before this season? Did he go from nobody to Norris? I haven't even glanced at the mains convo but probably a lot of it based on +/- and anything else which are team metrics.. Aren't this seasons Weegar stats simply connected to how Florida has done as a club this season?

Weegar was pretty hyped late last season.

I've ragged on Larsson for years but this season he's been great. His puckmoving is slightly improved too but I feel paying him over $4M/yr and a long 4 year contract is a mistake.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Weegar was pretty hyped late last season.

I've ragged on Larsson for years but this season he's been great. His puckmoving is slightly improved too but I feel paying him over $4M/yr and a long 4 year contract is a mistake.

I NEVER watch Florida. Just a total distaste for non hockey markets so not familiar with their club. Seems like Weegar has figured it out since the coaching change but pretty odd coming out of nowhere story. 7th round D pick to Norris candidate? Seems pretty wild ride.

Yeah, Larsson has been very good this season.

Blue Line Turnover

Oct 26, 2006
Apparently Weegar's uncle is Craig Rivet.

I can't believe the turnaround Larsson has made in the last two seasons. and I hope it's due to his injury regressing and that he has found his love for the game again.
His skillset is so underappreciated and he is world class within his niche when he is on top of his game.

JayE

Sep 24, 2016

Tanev has always been great defensively and Weegar, from my limited viewings and many opinions that I respect, has been excellent. Having said that, WAR for hockey is a very flawed stat that I pay little to no mind to.

JayE

Sep 24, 2016
Larsson has been a thoroughbred this year. In some respects, the defenseman I trust the most (Nurse has also grown massively and has more to his game, but Larsson destroys cycles on his own). He's in better form than he was in 2017 with less support. I've always been of the opinion that truly good defensive dmen were massively undervalued, and I think Larsson is entering (or re-entering) this elite defensive dmen group. Seems like a very understated character guy, too.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Holland needs to make signing Larsson a priority. Not sure how the expansion draft weights in and unfolds but if we lose Jones I’m ok with that

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Adam Larssons offensive game this year has been much better. Love his D to D passing in the offensive zone. Smart shot selection and passing. He's been an absolute beast this year

He's also shown some really smart o-zone pinches this year. Very good decision making when he does and doesn't turn the puck over. Quick to get back on d.

Been a beast season with solid all around game but major bread and butter as a guy who gets the babysitting role with rotating young defenders and has been a huge calming influence as the Oil integrate Lagesson and Jones onto an NHL d-corp. Add a consistent tough, physical game which makes this team tough to play against. Plays physically on the age yet contained to do so with only 24 minutes in penalties.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

I am not really a fan of these things all that often but MacKenzie Weeger has had a fantastic year. He's been establishing himself with the Panthers for several years as a really solid defender. What took off this year was his offensive game. His contraact might be one the Oilers use in discussions with Larsson.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
do you guys think he is good enough to make team sweden olympic team?
I'm not sure, but sometimes choices are made for complementary skills, so maybe they'd want what he brings, even if there is some Dman out there with more points

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
I'm a huge fan of Larsson, but seeing Nino throw him with one arm was disconcerting to say the least.
How does that one play change anything?
I was a huge McDavid fan but when he lost foot race to the puck that one time I was done with him :/
Red flags!!
Fact: Larsson is still a punishing Dman even if gets owned physically on rare occasions.

Blue Line Turnover

Oct 26, 2006
How does that one play change anything?
I was a huge McDavid fan but when he lost foot race to the puck that one time I was done with him :/
Red flags!!
Fact: Larsson is still a punishing Dman even if gets owned physically on rare occasions.

Maybe check the date on that post: it was from two years ago and it was when he admitted that his play was at an all time low.

I've been a big fan of Larsson's since his prospect days and even have had the chance to chill with him a few times through a mutual friend.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Maybe check the date on that post: it was from two years ago and it was when he admitted that his play was at an all time low.

I've been a big fan of Larsson's since his prospect days and even have had the chance to chill with him a few times through a mutual friend.
Oops

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
do you guys think he is good enough to make team sweden olympic team?
He is, he should, but I am guessing he won't. Well, maybe not. As you know, he's the kind of D man Grönborg gave huge minutes despite having sexier options. Grapen was with Grönborg, Grönborg had success, so it would not surprise me if Larsson made it.

Blue Line Turnover

Oct 26, 2006
He is, he should, but I am guessing he won't. Well, maybe not. As you know, he's the kind of D man Grönborg gave huge minutes despite having sexier options. Grapen was with Grönborg, Grönborg had success, so it would not surprise me if Larsson made it.

Larsson seems to play very well internationally and was a beast with Ekman-Larsson.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Both Larsson and Nurse have made monumental leaps forward this year (mostly Nurse as he's never been anywhere near this level before).

Reactions: LaGu

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Sign this man.
Thought they were talking not that long ago? Not surprised if things got put on the back burner closing out the season, but there seem to be multiple reports of a contract being worked on.

Maybe Adam should call his agent

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad