Player Discussion Adam Larsson

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Larsson had 160 blocks and 253 hits last season while being +21 and adding 19 pts (all at even strength).

He also only had 55 PIM while playing 20 minutes per game... which is pretty low PIM for a dman throwing that many hits and playing a fairly physical game facing top opposition like he does.

I would describe Larsson as very disciplined and an excellent all-around dman.

When he's out there I also definitely get the sense that the team knows they have a very reliable player in their own end and that gives them more of a green light to take some offensive chances that they wouldn't take with a lesser dman on the back end... which is an asset in itself.

Reactions: sundaysleftovers

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Larsson had 160 blocks and 253 hits last season while being +21 and adding 19 pts (all at even strength).

He also only had 55 PIM while playing 20 minutes per game... which is pretty low PIM for a dman throwing that many hits and playing a fairly physical game facing top opposition like he does.

When he's out there I also definitely get the sense that the team knows they have a very reliable player in their own end and that gives them more of a green light to take some offensive chances that they wouldn't take with a lesser dman on the back end... which is an asset in itself.

Chris_Pratt_I_Agree-GIF.gif

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy

... and he is 4th overall in playoffs EV pts per GP amongst all D counting from 13/14-16/17!

1. Erik Karlsson 0.64 EVP/GP
2. Duncan Keith 0.54 EVP/GP
4. Adam Larsson 0.46 EVP/GP
6. Victor Hedman 0.45 EVP/GP
9. Oscar Klefbom 0.42 EVP/GP

:yo:

(disclaimer: there may or may not be an issue with the sample size :laugh:)

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
As mentioned up above, Vlasic is likely a decent comparable.

Vlasic has only exceeded 30 pts twice in his career and hasn't hit 40 ever.. yet I don't think anyone would consider him anything less than an elite top pairing dman for what he does at both ends of the ice.

Except Vlasic takes the hardest comp in the league and still posts elite defensive results. Larsson isn't like that. I really like Larsson as a player, but he isn't close to Vlasic, Hjalmarsson, etc. level.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Except Vlasic takes the hardest comp in the league and still posts elite defensive results. Larsson isn't like that. I really like Larsson as a player, but he isn't close to Vlasic, Hjalmarsson, etc. level.

Yes he does and yes he is.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Only thing I'll disagree with in regards to your post is that Larsson has averaged closer to 20 minutes a game in his career than 24. It was that way in New Jersey, and it was that was last year in Edmonton.

Part of it is McLellan dividing the top minutes fairly evenly between the Klefbom/Larsson pairing and the Sekera/Russell pairing, but Larsson has never played the type of workhorse minutes you're suggesting.

I don't really want to start a grand discussion about his ice time, but to be fair his ice time in NJ was closer to 24 than 20 in 15/16.

Also, I think you should consider the situation he was in.

14/15 TOI 20:57 / GP
14/15* TOI 23:06 / GP.

* after DeBoer was fired.

15/16 TOI 22:30 / GP.

All these number without any significant PP TOI. 22:30 brings him to 45th in TOI/GP overall but he literally has less PP TOI than every single player ahead of him.

It is very evident that if you look specifically at the games he played in NJ in 14/15 (post-DeBoer) and 15/16 the games which draw down the average are ones riddled with penalties, i.e. NJ PP. Also, it is worth considering you are talking average here, in 25 games in 15/16 he clocked in at >24 mins TOI.

This last season you are obviously right though, but when his ice time went up in the playoffs I didn't see any regression so I still think he could have handled more throughout the regular season. As long as the job gets done I am a happy man and since Sekera and Russell had no big problems taking on part of the heavy lifting I won't be complaining that they should have been playing Larsson more. I suspect it may look a bit different this year, but I guess we will have to wait and see what happens.

In short, I have little to no problem with a generalisation to 24 mins a night defenseman for Larsson. Considering context he is definitely that kind of D.

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
Larsson is a soldier. We ended up losing game 5 against Anahiem but the guy played 45 minutes that night including over 5 minutes on the penalty kill. Thats the sort of play that teams need from their top defenceman, and he was a rock for the entirety of the playoffs.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
A little bit surprised by the choice just because he's fairly new to the team. But I have no clue how he is in the dressing room and on the ice he's obviously a great leader in terms of playing hard shift to shift. Awesome. Glad he's become such a leader for the team!

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
A little bit surprised by the choice just because he's fairly new to the team. But I have no clue how he is in the dressing room and on the ice he's obviously a great leader in terms of playing hard shift to shift. Awesome. Glad he's become such a leader for the team!

Can't be any worse than Ference being named captain, coming in and not playing 1 game with the Oilers :laugh:

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Smart, tough as nails, hard nosed dman who leads by example.
Larsson is a great choice for Alternate captain.

Reactions: oiler4ever

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Good for Larsson. He's been a warrior for us.

Haha true.

And Lucic got an A last season before playing a game. I forgot about that too lol.

The difference there though is Chia drafted him, and had him play over 500 games for him. We knew exactly what we were getting with Looch.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
I think it's a good indication of his importance to his team. I think Ebs and Nuge got A's because of how long they've been with the org so it'd be weird not to, but now with Chia putting his mark on his team he knows who the real leaders of this team are. Curious to see who'd get that fourth A when/if Nuge gets shipped out. Probably Drai.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad