Adam Larsson Thread Version: The Second One

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
seems the same people who wrote him off are the first ones to jump on him if he has a poor game

hes 22. hes not going to be a stud every single night. yet.

NJD Kula

THE SPITFIRES LINE
Jan 16, 2009
По&#1082
www.rshl.org
This thread is getting a bit ridiculous. Every little play weather it's good or bad is being critiqued now every single game.

One good or bad play isn't going to make or break him or any other player for that matter. Everyone should take a step back and make assessments on his general play/trends over a block of games.

Exactly.

There's a reason why we don't have a running thread for every player on the team. Must we endure this Larsson thread much longer?

I beg of thee to lock this thread.

Wilbur*

Not really. And that giveaway passing to the slot that resulted in a goal was the grand daddy turd on top of the Zubrus and Fraser sundae.

It's fine to overlook a key mistake for the big picture progress, but you can't call a turd a cigar and hope nobody notices.

Larsson was far from the worst player on the ice for NJ last night. Most of the team sucked. Larsson sucked a little less.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
seems the same people who wrote him off are the first ones to jump on him if he has a poor game

It's like the people who pile on Cory after every single goal he gives up. "OMG I TOLD YOU HE SUCKS AND WE NEVER SHOULD HAVE TRADED FOR HIM"

People make up their minds first and then see what they want to see.

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
I really don't understand some posters here on this board.

There's those who seem they want him to underachieve and criticize his every play:

Example: Justifying benching Larsson after that turnover last night, but no benching for Greene who had just as bad of a turnover. Or the numerous times Zidlicky had similar turnovers.

But then there's the posters on here who are severely overrating him:

Examples:
Won't trade Larsson for McDonagh
Larsson would be the #1 Draft pick if 2011 was redone today
He will be a #1D by next year

Can't there be any middle ground?

MichaelJ

May 20, 2013
I really don't understand some posters here on this board.

There's those who seem they want him to underachieve and criticize his every play:

Example: Justifying benching Larsson after that turnover last night, but no benching for Greene who had just as bad of a turnover. Or the numerous times Zidlicky had similar turnovers.

But then there's the posters on here who are severely overrating him:

Examples:
Won't trade Larsson for McDonagh
Larsson would be the #1 Draft pick if 2011 was redone today
He will be a #1D by next year

Can't there be any middle ground?

Why would you make the lateral move to McDonagh? Sure you're making a temporary upgrade but so what? It's the same rationale for people not interested in dealing Henrique for Hall. In a vacuum those trades happen but not in the overall context here.

And I'm sure McD has had his share of stinkers.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
ill admit ive read the title of this thread many times and for some reason i still get confused for a split second thinking, 'wait, there's two adam larssons now!' :laugh:

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Larsson for McDonagh is NOT a lateral move. McDonagh is a top 10 DMan in the NHL at 25 years old.

I can't believe people are even suggesting that.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
Why would you make the lateral move to McDonagh? Sure you're making a temporary upgrade but so what? It's the same rationale for people not interested in dealing Henrique for Hall. In a vacuum those trades happen but not in the overall context here.

And I'm sure McD has had his share of stinkers.

Henrique for Hall was never proposed as a 1 for 1 though. if it was you do it 100/100 times. once you start adding what EDM wants it becomes pointless. same with Larsson and McD. Straight up you do it every single time but accounting for realistic value you probably dont

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011

Agreed.

Why is it so necessary to point out that he had a bad game?

One bad game in the last 3-4 weeks?

Wingman77

Mar 16, 2010
As I mentioned earlier, he should just be treated as a normal player when he has a good or bad night.

This thread isn't exactly helping that.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
The only reason this thread really existed was because of the scratches/limited ice time he was dealt under his former coach. Now that's past him and he's playing regular minutes this thread seems unnecessary, no?

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
Larsson was far from the worst player on the ice for NJ last night. Most of the team sucked. Larsson sucked a little less.

that's the complete opposite of what you just posted - you said he was the best by saying he was the least worst.

And my bad, it wasn't a goal it was a near goal. It was a horrible play regardless and I only half watched after they gave up the third stinker post-Zubrus giving them two on the PP. Knew it was in the books at that point. Which was the point about the Zubrus-Fraser sundae. They blew the game, Larsson's gift turnover was just the cherry on top.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Larsson is a good player that sometimes makes mistakes.

He's not elite, probably never will be. But he's good enough to deserve big minutes and he's the kind of guy that helps the team win more often than not. He has off games, he makes mistakes. He has on games and makes good plays.

I think what needs to be realized is that he's never going to be an elite D man, but that doesn't mean he isn't a very good one. Sometimes he deserves criticism, like last night. Sometimes he deserves praise like the prior few nights. His play doesn't need to be blindly defended or criticized. Just call it like it is in that moment like you would with any other player and I think everyone would realize that, on the whole, he's a good D man.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Larsson is a good player that sometimes makes mistakes.

He's not elite, probably never will be. But he's good enough to deserve big minutes and he's the kind of guy that helps the team win more often than not. He has off games, he makes mistakes. He has on games and makes good plays.

I think what needs to be realized is that he's never going to be an elite D man, but that doesn't mean he isn't a very good one. Sometimes he deserves criticism, like last night. Sometimes he deserves praise like the prior few nights. His play doesn't need to be blindly defended or criticized. Just call it like it is in that moment like you would with any other player and I think everyone would realize that, on the whole, he's a good D man.

I'll try to realize that if we reach the point at which we need to realize that. Don't think we are there yet.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Pointing out a bad game from Larsson these days is as ridiculous as pointing out when Fraser has a good game.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
As to if Lars needs his own thread? The discussion is still heated enough that it would overwhelm the general player discussion thread.

Not all guys need a single thread, but certain guys do, and if a debate on a single player can support a thread then why not let it roll?

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
I don't think Larsson was any worse than any of the other Dmen. Greene I thought was having a great first half of the game then his second half was awful. Fraser sucked. Still happy with the way he has been playing overall.

Devilsfan992

Apr 14, 2012
I don't think Larsson was any worse than any of the other Dmen. Greene I thought was having a great first half of the game then his second half was awful. Fraser sucked. Still happy with the way he has been playing overall.

I think it's pretty trivial to rank defensive performances from game to game. What's conclusive is Fraser is the worst defensemen on this team (Not including Sal) and Greene is the best.

Cult of Hynes

Hynes is never wrong.
Nov 9, 2010
I think it's pretty trivial to rank defensive performances from game to game. What's conclusive is Fraser is the worst defensemen on this team (Not including Sal) and Greene is the best.

Greene was absolutely terrible though last night, along with Fraser. Both of them couldnt clear the puck for **** during the PKs.

Greene is the best defenseman on the team no doubt, but he was **** last night.

Larsson wasnt perfect and did screw up, but I felt like the best dman, Greene, ****ed up more than anyone, especially given how good he has been and how he is the best d man on the team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad