Adam Larsson Appreciation thread

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
giphy.gif

Reading back through this thread was pretty depressing.

FooteBahl

Took a big shitz for Nemec
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2005
Metuchen NJ
I can't remember a trade where I wanted to see the player leaving exceed so much. There's nothing I would love to see more than an Oilers-Devils final in a few years...of course ending with Hall blowing by Larsson in OT of game 7 to score the winning goal lol

Rhodes 81

grit those teeth
Nov 22, 2008
Atlanta
Yeah, I think this trade is going to prove the main board / HF groupthink consensus very wrong.

I was laughed at for not liking the trade at the time. If we don't win anything while Hall is a major contributor and Larsson remains a top pairing cornerstone for another 12 years, it's going to be hard to accept this one looking back on it.

I'm going to need to see significant strides this year in order to not feel like we shortened our window to compete pretty needlessly. In 6 years, Hall is not going to have nearly as much of an impact as Larsson.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I was laughed at for not liking the trade at the time. If we don't win anything while Hall is a major contributor and Larsson remains a top pairing cornerstone for another 12 years, it's going to be hard to accept this one looking back on it.

I'm going to need to see significant strides this year in order to not feel like we shortened our window to compete pretty needlessly. In 6 years, Hall is not going to have nearly as much of an impact as Larsson.

I'm not sure how the hell you can tell this right now? :laugh:

do you know how much can change in SIX years?

I was one of (and still am) Larsson's biggest defenders on here, even in the dark days of being benched by Pete. But this trade is one that you make every time. That doesn't mean I (and the team) don't miss Adam, but still.

Devilsfan118

Sing us a song, you're the Schiano man
Jun 11, 2010
NJ

Holy smokes, have we not learned as Devils fans that things can take a total 180 between seasons?

You're worried about a hypothetical situation 6+ years from now?

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
Larsson's going to be a cornerstone in 12 years because he won't be able to skate at all by that point

ChokeOnOil

Lambs to Lions
Feb 11, 2007
Edmonton
He's been really, really good. I was sort of worried Devils fans were hyping him up because they came out on the better end of the deal, but his play and his habits on the ice have made me think the trade was a lot closer than I thought... You guys weren't lying about him, sheesh.

Glad to see Hallsy scored a few tonight!

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I can't remember a trade where I wanted to see the player leaving exceed so much. There's nothing I would love to see more than an Oilers-Devils final in a few years...of course ending with Hall blowing by Larsson in OT of game 7 to score the winning goal lol

In a hypothetical situation, I really wouldn't want that to happen to Larsson. Nurse would be a good alternative. :laugh:

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey

Me either, first time for everything. I've been checking out the EDM board a lot since the season started and definitely checking in on their boxscores almost every game. Its as if i were sort of an Oiler fan......................................................? Weird.

I am immensely glad, so far to see Oiler fans have warmed up to him as a group. I know there were a number of them on board from day 1, but at least its reached a much larger consensus that Larsson is actually pretty damn good (quietly so)... :)

McWeber

Mouthbreather
Jul 14, 2015
Lethbridge
Me either, first time for everything. I've been checking out the EDM board a lot since the season started and definitely checking in on their boxscores almost every game. Its as if i were sort of an Oiler fan......................................................? Weird.

I am immensely glad, so far to see Oiler fans have warmed up to him as a group. I know there were a number of them on board from day 1, but at least its reached a much larger consensus that Larsson is actually pretty damn good (quietly so)... :)

He pretty much won everyone over when he knocked Gaudreau on his ass multiple times in the first two games lol. He may be quiet on the score sheet but he has made some impressive defensive and physical plays that really stood out. I was very upset when the trade happened but it seems like all parties involved are reaping benefits. I haven't watched Hall play in NJ yet but I imagine he will be even better for you than he was for us.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton

I think most of us were just shocked with the trade itself. Others were disappointed because there were foolish rumors about guys like Subban and Peiterangelo potentially coming for Hall.

Most of us don't see a lot of Devils games so we weren't as familiar with Larsson as other guys. Within a day or so of the trade, a lot of video was posted about Larsson as well as stat charts and Oiler fans began to realize how good he was. His cap friendly contract is a huge selling point too. Not many in Edmonton think this was as one sided a deal as the embarrassing, knowledge-less Toronto media does.

His play through five games has started to win over the few remaining detractors he did have. He's been solid defensively and much more physical than anybody expected.

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
He picked up that physical game when Stevens was able to work with him closely after PDB was let go. It first started with a little bit of a nasty snarl once and awhile, but it really started to become a more mainstay to his game last season.

Also, he is subtly good on the corner boards/behind the net, he can angle himself/bodypositioning so well to cut off guys immediately and they have to try to reach around him and he's already gotten positive control of the situation.. Again, it's very very subtle, but if you look at it closely you should see it and it really tilts the posession your way during those board battles down low.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I miss him

But I think both teams got the player they needed more.

The Oilers have quite a bit offensive firepower, where they could afford to lose Hall. I don't think we have the manpower on defense to make Larsson expendable, but our offense would be mind numbingly terrible without Hall.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
I miss him

The Oilers have quite a bit offensive firepower, where they could afford to lose Hall. I don't think we have the manpower on defense to make Larsson expendable, but our offense would be mind numbingly terrible without Hall.

No but Schneider is good enough to make up for it

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I miss him

Apparently we do. Especially on the PK where we haven't missed a beat.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
No but Schneider is good enough to make up for it
Definitely.
Apparently we do. Especially on the PK where we haven't missed a beat.

Maybe manpower was the wrong word, I think I should have said that we don't really have a great enough defense to make a guy like Larsson expendable.

But I think the team system we play will make it not much of a burden.

I've noticed the shots against have went up by a few this year, in the small sample of only 5 games. But our shots for have went up even more.

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
With the way the media is going on, I'm convinced that if the Oilers make the playoffs this year they'll say it's all thanks to Kris Russell. :facepalm:

One day Larsson will get the respect he deserves, hopefully. :help:

ChokeOnOil

Lambs to Lions
Feb 11, 2007
Edmonton
With the way the media is going on, I'm convinced that if the Oilers make the playoffs this year they'll say it's all thanks to Kris Russell. :facepalm:

One day Larsson will get the respect he deserves, hopefully. :help:

If it means anything that's the national media more than anything. The local media in Edmonton have been in love with Larsson since game two (for good reason).

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Let's keep in mind this is supposed to be a Larsson appreciation thread.

Apparently not everyone got the memo.

I'm all for debate but this isn't the thread to trash Larsson in Edmonton or prove that we don't miss him, it's appreciation for his time here.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad