Value of: Adam Gaudette to Columbus

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
What’s Vancouver’s need at the moment and how attached are they to Gaudette ?

He seems like a promising young center who could be acquired relatively cheap.

I’m sure Columbus might have an interest to try him as a 2C

GoodbyeLuongo

Jun 8, 2012
Seattle
He could probably be had. Defense would be the main need, not sure on how CBJ's defensemen are viewed outside Jones or Werenski obviously. Something around Gaudette and Gavrikov possibly? Not sure how that looks from CBJ's standpoint.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
He could probably be had. Defense would be the main need, not sure on how CBJ's defensemen are viewed outside Jones or Werenski obviously. Something around Gaudette and Gavrikov possibly? Not sure how that looks from CBJ's standpoint.
Gavrikov is unlikely to be traded, any other defense man besides the 3 (Jones, Werenski, Gavrikov) is available

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Since when do promising young centers come relatively cheap in trades? I mean, I'm sure he's not untouchable but they aren't going to trade him for Nutivarra or a 2nd or anything like that.
Nutivaara and a second (which we don’t have this year) will do though ?

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
I feel like I’m repeating this in every trade forum involving the Canucks, but it still holds true. The Canucks have 2 clear needs. Cap space and RHD. I’m not opposed to moving Gaudette if we get an equal piece back. If we can’t get a piece of equal value then the Canucks better be off loading salary in the process. Gaudette and Sutter/Baertschi/Rousell for .....

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
I feel like I’m repeating this in every trade forum involving the Canucks, but it still holds true. The Canucks have 2 clear needs. Cap space and RHD. I’m not opposed to moving Gaudette if we get an equal piece back. If we can’t get a piece of equal value then the Canucks better be off loading salary in the process. Gaudette and Sutter/Baertschi/Rousell for .....

Nutivaara and a second (which we don’t have this year) will do though ?

Nutivaara plays almost exlusively RHD even though he's a lefty

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
What does Columbus need to add(if anything ?)

Andrew Peeke is another solid d prospect (RHD) which I can see being traded for Gaudette )
Peeke would be of interest to the Canucks, but not as a 1 for 1. Peeke has 21 NHL games, his value alone isn't Gaudette.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
Using a young #3 C with offensive upside for a player like Nutivaara would be pretty stupid asset management. Nut makes more (Canucks need cap space) and plays a 3rd pairing role. We can find 3rd pairing D for $2.7 in free agency.
Not saying you're wrong, but he's 3rd pair bc savard/Gavrikov was so good....

Boondock

Feb 6, 2009
Over his career he only has 1 season over 16:02 toi, he is not physical, he produces offense at a third pairing rate, he doesn't play on the PP, he doesn't play the PK, his advanced stats are average. Nut is a typical bottom pairing D that can play up as a short term fill in. That player is not worth a 23 year old C that has improved every year in pro hockey and just finished his first full (sort of) season with 0.56 pts/gm.

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
Would move him for Gavrikov but tbh the other offers in this thread aren't very appealing.

Nucks aren't in a position to move their young, cost controlled players unless it a) relieves significant cap, or b) addresses the need for a RHD with top 4 upside.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
Would move him for Gavrikov but tbh the other offers in this thread aren't very appealing.

Nucks aren't in a position to move their young, cost controlled players unless it a) relieves significant cap, or b) addresses the need for a RHD with top 4 upside.
Gaudette for Peeke and a 3rd seems reasonable

Reactions: Ana Crusis

Aqualung

Nov 16, 2007
Gaudette did well in his first full season with his deployment. Needs to get better defensively, but he's got a lot of energy and coachability from what has been told. Rather see if he can turn into a solid top 6 player for the Canucks.

Reactions: Cogburn

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
The Canucks are in pretty good shape on the NHL level for centres, but have very few prospects who project well. I’d say that centre is probably our biggest need in the pipeline.

not to say that Gaudette is untouchable, but trading him would be a tough deal for Benning to make.

Johnsie19

Jun 29, 2010
The Canucks are in pretty good shape on the NHL level for centres, but have very few prospects who project well. I’d say that centre is probably our biggest need in the pipeline.

not to say that Gaudette is untouchable, but trading him would be a tough deal for Benning to make.
I'd agree. We clearly need to move money out and improve our defense but after that a 3rd line center is the team's biggest need. Gaudette could develop into that player. He could be had if it addressed our needs and we could find a 3c via free agency though.

lilfedor

Feb 16, 2016
Cleveland, OH

Right. It's the age old issue...

Remember, when CBJ traded for Seth Jones he was a third pairing D who at times was the 7th in Nashville.

I remember Preds fans going nuts thinking they fleeced CBJ...

No one is taking that stance now.

Johnsie19

Jun 29, 2010
Right. It's the age old issue...

Remember, when CBJ traded for Seth Jones he was a third pairing D who at times was the 7th in Nashville.

I remember Preds fans going nuts thinking they fleeced CBJ...

No one is taking that stance now.
I don't remember a single person thinking Nashville won that trade long term. It sorta felt potentially win/win but had disaster potential all over it for Nashville.

AHLdepth

Feb 17, 2020
Gaudette for Peeke and a 3rd seems reasonable

Speaking as a Canuck fan who is, admittedly, quite high on Peeke, I would push for a second, but am not offended by this trade.

I believe that by the time you have a young, all around top 4 RHD, they are essentially untradeable, so you have to pick them up just before they become that. And I believe that Peeke has that potential to be a player for sure. Again though I am fairly high on Peeke compared to most....

Reactions: Toe Pick

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad