Player Discussion Adam Gaudette - Part III

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
West Coast
3rd full season. What do we think about his development so far.

Just read his thread from the 18/19 season and I can’t help but think his development was handled poorly. He’s no better defensively than when he showed up.

I wonder if he’s even back next season. Arbitration rights...and we know how scary those are to the current GM.

Just like in 2019. I still feel he should’ve been tried on wing. Especially since they had no interest in ever truly developing him at C ie tons of AHL minutes as an all situations C.
Gaudette has been in no mans land since he arrived with the Canucks. Travis is too scared to give him the defensive minutes he needs to develop into an effective bottom 6 two-way player.

Every time I see Beagle/Sutter/Rousell on the PK I cringe. If the Canucks don't develop two-way players they will be stuck in a cycle of having to go to FA and overpay them. Both Horvat and Gaudette should be killing penalties full stop.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Most of Jimbo prospect were hyped by fans . He was called a master drafter. You guys should browse canucks.com board from time to time. Even some media members called the rebuild finished a few years ago. Best prospects in the league they said. And then you come back to reality and see that outside of the 1st round only Demko is a valuable NHL player.
Different now, now are prospects actually are beauties from outside the 1st: Person, McDonagh, Zholedev, Costmar, Kunz, Etc

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
Gaudette has been in no mans land since he arrived with the Canucks. Travis is too scared to give him the defensive minutes he needs to develop into an effective bottom 6 two-way player.

Every time I see Beagle/Sutter/Rousell on the PK I cringe. If the Canucks don't develop two-way players they will be stuck in a cycle of having to go to FA and overpay them. Both Horvat and Gaudette should be killing penalties full stop.

Green had years of no expectations or playoff aspiration where he could literally try anything and develop players. He still never once tried experiments like Virtanen on the PK. The people who call him a good developmental coach because of Hughes/Pettersson/Boeser are out to lunch.

Regress2TheMeme

Mar 14, 2018
What a bizarre run of events for Gaudette. Totally coughing up that puck for an easy short handed goal against. That's the kind of mistake that sticks with you. But then he comes back and scores the next goal on probably his next shift.

All in all I'm ready to move on from Gaudette if the Canucks could get any reasonable value for him, like a 2nd or 3rd rounder. He just doesn't bring enough to the table. Is he ever going to be more than an angry guy with a good shot? He's just not good enough offensively to make up for how little he contributes when he's not ripping pucks. I think Benning can find someone comparable by dipping into the low cost free agent market.

Reactions: Get North

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
The sad thing is Gaudette is still not better than Sutter.

Where did Gaudette offence go? It's because the last 30 plus games going back to last year. Not even one goal from the 2nd pp unit. His points just wasn't sustainable

Reactions: HockeyWooot

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
The sad thing is Gaudette is still not better than Sutter.

Where did Gaudette offence go? It's because the last 30 plus games going back to last year. Not even one goal from the 2nd pp unit. His points just wasn't sustainable
Look at Sutter, all of a sudden he's not injury prone once we become a team that can control possession of the puck. He has been completely healthy for the NHL playoffs and this regular season. When healthy and playing to his usual self, he's a capable 3rd line center. Former 1st round pick and WJC gold medalist, he can definitely play on this team.

We can win games today, and improve this team by upgrading on Gaudette/Virtanen. That doesn;t mean we have to trade Gaudette, he can sit in the press box or help Utica, but we need to get a winger beside Sutter-MacEwen. Then, figure out the defence because we can use a top 4 righty to support Myers.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
Green had years of no expectations or playoff aspiration where he could literally try anything and develop players. He still never once tried experiments like Virtanen on the PK. The people who call him a good developmental coach because of Hughes/Pettersson/Boeser are out to lunch.
Virtanen and Gaudette playing like shit dude. Turning the puck over on the PP! Do you wanna be a contender or wait for guys like Gaudette to figure out how to not turn the puck over on the PP in your own zone?

You put Virtanen on the PK and we're increasing our chance at losing games. It's pretty simple, Green doesn't want to lose games and lose his job so he's not going to play Virtanen on the PK. Find me some evidence that Virtanen would be better on the PK than Roussel, Motte, Miller or MacEwen.

Travis has been getting schooled by Julien, but if you want to see Virtanen on the PK you are on drugs.

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Look at Sutter, all of a sudden he's not injury prone once we become a team that can control possession of the puck. He has been completely healthy for the NHL playoffs and this regular season. When healthy and playing to his usual self, he's a capable 3rd line center. Former 1st round pick and WJC gold medalist, he can definitely play on this team.

We can win games today, and improve this team by upgrading on Gaudette/Virtanen. That doesn;t mean we have to trade Gaudette, he can sit in the press box or help Utica, but we need to get a winger beside Sutter-MacEwen. Then, figure out the defence because we can use a top 4 righty to support Myers.
You mean when he's playing for a contract.

The sample size is 5 years. Not 1 year.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
He just doesn’t have the necessary game away from the puck to survive in the NHL. And he doesn’t appear to be learning and at 24 it is time to consider moving on.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Either way you slice it, he's a better deal than Roussel and Virtanen's salary combined.
Better than Roussell and Virtanen??? Yikes if thats his main defense hes in trouble cause thats HELLA weak :laugh:

Whats the next argument to defend Sutter, that hes better than BOTH Eriksson and Beagles contracts???? :laugh:

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
We all followed Gaudette during his dominant college days... but I think it's time to bring the old dog out to the back... he is just not improving his defensive play to be a 3c.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
He just doesn’t have the necessary game away from the puck to survive in the NHL. And he doesn’t appear to be learning and at 24 it is time to consider moving on.

Sad but true. The lack of acceleration and speed has only lessened his chances. This was evident last year even in the games he was playing wing. Gaudette may be hard pressed to even to anything in the AHL..

The gut punch is many here were saying Madden was expendable with Gaudette...when Madden looks much better offensively and defensively down in the AHL.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Sad but true. The lack of acceleration and speed has only lessened his chances. This was evident last year even in the games he was playing wing. Gaudette may be hard pressed to even to anything in the AHL..

The gut punch is many here were saying Madden was expendable with Gaudette...when Madden looks much better offensively and defensively down in the AHL.

This is the issue with running an organization with the assumption that essentially every player is going to hit. Madden doesn't become expendable because Gaudette had a decent first year in a proper organization. Rather, in a proper organization, Madden only becomes expendable when he is given chances to displace someone from the roster and fails. Essentially, up and down the organization management actively removes the possibility of competition. This limits growth of the individual AND the team.

The exception, of course, is a team on the cusp of winning may deem good prospects and high picks expendable or worth the cost of getting that cup.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016

Why would you cringe? Canucks are 13th on the PK and they were in the middle of pack last year. Some of the bottom 6 they might be bad five on five but they are solid on the PK. PK is not the problem

Maybe you're just a casual fan, if you do follow the Canucks, you would realize Horvat has been a horrible penalty killer for a lot of years. His GA/SA per 60 on the PK has been horrible.

Gaudette killing penalties. I will just give you lol for that.

Last edited:

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
West Coast
Why would you cringe? Canucks are 13th on the PK and they were in the middle of pack last year. Some of the bottom 6 they might be bad five on five but they are solid on the PK. PK is not the problem

Maybe you're just a casual fan, if you do follow the Canucks, you would realize Horvat has been a horrible penalty killer for a lot of years. His GA/SA per 60 on the PK has been horrible.

Gaudette killing penalties. I will just give you lol for that.
You've completely missed the point, maybe you are just a casual fan and don't understand how developing players work. But you can develop players into better defensive players.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
If you weren’t such a casual fan, you’d understand that 13/31 is really very good.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
2 G 0 A 2 P in 19 games this year. Going back to last year playoffs. 2 P in 29 games, last year about 0.5 ppg. Never been a fan of Gaudette, I didn't think he was that good of a hockey player. I am even surprised on how horrible his stats are. Most likely Gaudette level is somewhere in between this season and last season.

Last year season just wasn't sustainable since he got a lot of puck luck and 2nd pp unit was scoring. Canucks didn't get a goal from the 2nd pp unit since the end of last regular season. Stretch about 45 games, not counting playoffs. Pearson did score a few ppg however Petey and Hughes were still on the ice.

What should we expect from Gaudette going forward?

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
The 'choices' for third and fourth line centers revolve around Beagle, Sutter or Gaudette. Pick your poison.

But the reality is that once you get past the top 5-6 forwards on the depth chart, this lineup just falls off a cliff. At least Gaudette isn't taking the salary cap with him down the black whole--unlike Sutter and Beagle.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
The 'choices' for third and fourth line centers revolve around Beagle, Sutter or Gaudette. Pick your poison.

But the reality is that once you get past the top 5-6 forwards on the depth chart, this lineup just falls off a cliff. At least Gaudette isn't taking the salary cap with him down the black whole--unlike Sutter and Beagle.

Beagle or Sutter any day, Audette is useless defensively and nobody gets more shots on goal that barely discomfit the opposing goalies than Audette. Also if another player touches him he falls down and coughs up the puck, he has the physicality of a huge bag of feathers. Lots of hustle but bugger all else...

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.

I think we have to stay with Gaudette for another year. Look at Appleton in Winnipeg, he's excellent this year even though Gaudette looked better until the season started.

The question is why does Gaudette weigh less than Pettersson. He's playing at a 20-30 pound disadvantage compared to league average.

IslandBeast

Apr 19, 2015
V.I
I think we have to stay with Gaudette for another year. Look at Appleton in Winnipeg, he's excellent this year even though Gaudette looked better until the season started.

The question is why does Gaudette weigh less than Pettersson. He's playing at a 20-30 pound disadvantage compared to league average.

Yeah most guys kinda just are what they are but Gaudette is the perfect example of a guy who could really use an extra 15-20 pounds. Petey is on that list as well

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad