Player Discussion Adam Gaudette - Part III

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I know Gaudette is a bit of a whipping boy for the analytics crowd.....but currently sits at 10 goals and 17 assists in 45 games....on pace for 15-17 goals and 40 points in his first full season in the NHL....Hard to argue with that in the limited minutes he gets.......more importantly, he's on the books for just over $900,000, and as I understand the collective agreement is not eligible for arbitration as an RFA and isn't eligible for an offer-sheet either.

Any time you can get 40 points out of a young player on basically an entry-level contract it's 'found money". Canucks need a lot more guys like Gaudette, instead of the plethora of bottom-of the roster forwards who are either over 30 or pushing it, and are grossly overpaid.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
I know Gaudette is a bit of a whipping boy for the analytics crowd.....but currently sits at 10 goals and 17 assists in 45 games....on pace for 15-17 goals and 40 points in his first full season in the NHL....Hard to argue with that in the limited minutes he gets.......more importantly, he's on the books for just over $900,000, and as I understand the collective agreement is not eligible for arbitration as an RFA and isn't eligible for an offer-sheet either.

Any time you can get 40 points out of a young player on basically an entry-level contract it's 'found money". Canucks need a lot more guys like Gaudette, instead of the plethora of bottom-of the roster forwards who are either over 30 or pushing it, and are grossly overpaid.
Man I love this post :yo:

Reactions: HockeyWooot

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
Been playing decent but really shit the bed during his opportunity to play in the top 6. Doubt green gives him another chance.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
Didn't catch this, what happened?

During the third when green was desperate for offence he put Gaudette with Horvat. Gaudette made some terrible pass and bobbled the puck a few times. I think that line could work but I doubt Green goes back to it again.

HockeyWooot

Jan 28, 2020
As a few have predicted, Gaudette has been scratched in the playoffs. Particularly with Minny’s centre depth he can’t be sheltered and expect it to be an effective line.

Despite this I still like his upside. He’s clearly demonstrated NHL level offensive instincts with a nose for the net. He seems to be competitive, and given his continuous improvement I think he has the right mindset as a pro to make the further improvements he needs to make.

What do you folks reckon, will he become stronger at the 3C position or will he eventually become a winger?

To me his challenge seems to be in strength and explosiveness department. He’s not able to be completely effective as an NHL centre in other aspects of the game, because he hasn’t quite got up to the NHL level speed and pace? If so I do think that is something that will improve over upcoming offseasons.

I do suspect getting sat in the playoffs despite a relatively successful season offensively will bug him and motivate him to get better. He seems to have the attitude the staff wish Jake had, Im cautiously optimistic he’ll get where he needs to.

If the Canucks brass are still high on him as a centre, in some respects his development over the next year or so will be important to the team’s success and taking the steps to becoming a legit contender. His deployment currently has a trickle down effect to the other centres.

Appreciate everyone’s thoughts.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
i think he's better suited on the wing. his faceoffs sucks. clearly needs alot of work. plus he gets sheltered. just give him pp2 unit mins and he will contribute there plus third line mins. if van was playing an opponent that is a bit more offensive. then i think gaudette can shine there.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
The problem with Gaudette is that we have no real candidates within our system to take the 3C position if we're going to shift him to wing. It's possible that he develops his defensive play enough to be at least passable but someone like Bonino or Sutter should have been able to fulfil that need for a strong two-way centre.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I think Gaudette will draw back in eventually but I think the last two wins are examples of Travis Green hockey where you have the bottom 2 lines grind things out and win the game when the PP or top 2 lines produce some goals. We have rarely seen it but having Petey, Horvat, and healthy Sutter and Beagle down the middle is pretty much the ideal lineup down the middle for Green. If AV was the coach he would likely have Sutter centering the 3rd line over Gaudette as well. I've said this before, Roussel and Beagle are very much guys that Benning signed for Travis Green.

HockeyNightInAsia

Mar 22, 2020
There is certainly something lacking about Gaudette's defensive game, but I ain't sure whether the issue is physical or more on awareness. I do agree Gaudette has had good attitude, but that may also mean he has done what he could and there may not be too much upside beyond this. Now is probably the critical point where to make a decision on whether to continue him at center.

Are the closest things we have in our pipeline ...... Michaelis and Focht? Michaelis is actually older than Gaudette (!!) so we may know who he can be pretty soon. By the way, I was of the view that Madden needed at least a couple of seasons, and doubtful at 3C, because of his physique.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Maybe have him as the third liner RW along Side Sutter, and on the pp2. He needs to figure it out sooner than later the defensive part of the game or hes always just gonna be a #12/13 guy for any team cause in the playoffs it seems MOST teams would pick a defensive grinder in their bottom 6 over a defensive LIABILITY who can help out the 2nd pp unit

shottasasa

Nov 16, 2011
Canada
I think he’ll get there as a Centre, he’s got the offensive instincts and talent, And has improved his 2-way game since he arrived in the NHL. While he doesn’t have natural defensive instincts it’s a lot easier to learn than offence. I don’t think he’ll ever be a shutdown centre but I think he can convince I us to take steps. I think this post-season was just a bit too soon for him.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I think he’ll get there as a Centre, he’s got the offensive instincts and talent, And has improved his 2-way game since he arrived in the NHL. While he doesn’t have natural defensive instincts it’s a lot easier to learn than offence. I don’t think he’ll ever be a shutdown centre but I think he can convince I us to take steps. I think this post-season was just a bit too soon for him.
Gaud, like you say, is still learning. He also needs to get a lot stronger in his hands, forearms, and lower body.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

Troy Terry signed for $1.45 mill per over 3 years with nhl numbers not as good as Gaudette but was a PPG in the A. If they could get Gaudette on a similar 3 year term in the $1.6-$1.75 mill per range they should aim to do that.

BB06

Jun 1, 2020
Gaudette is an offensive minded Centre if put in the proper situation could probably get you 40ish points but he isn’t a fit in Vancouver IMO. I’d look to trade him for a similar caliber 3C around the same age with a different skill set. One who’s mostly defensive minded and can line match.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
The problem with Gaudette is that we have no real candidates within our system to take the 3C position if we're going to shift him to wing. It's possible that he develops his defensive play enough to be at least passable but someone like Bonino or Sutter should have been able to fulfil that need for a strong two-way centre.

Yeah, he's in no man's land in some ways. Needs to be heavily sheltered but has the offensive talent to be a 2nd line C imo...but that position is already covered. I'd try on him on the wing and see if he can contribute more with less defensive responsibility...and find a match-up / shut-down C to take some of the hard minutes away from Horvat.

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
Gaudette is an offensive minded Centre if put in the proper situation could probably get you 40ish points but he isn’t a fit in Vancouver IMO. I’d look to trade him for a similar caliber 3C around the same age with a different skill set. One who’s mostly defensive minded and can line match.

Yup. I was in the Stars forum as some don't think they have enough room for Faksa - he would be such an incredible acquisition for us. Didn't get many responses but I'd love to swap Gaudette for Faksa, Not sure if the Stars bite on that however.

Reactions: Hughes Unleashed

tradervik

Hear no evil, see no evil, complain about it
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007
Maybe Gaudette should have spent more time in Utica after all.

BB06

Jun 1, 2020
Yup. I was in the Stars forum as some don't think they have enough room for Faksa - he would be such an incredible acquisition for us. Didn't get many responses but I'd love to swap Gaudette for Faksa, Not sure if the Stars bite on that however.

That'd be a great trade. Think it'd be good for both teams as the stars struggle offensively and Gaudette could help both PP and scoring. Faska would be a godsend as it'd mean Horvat wouldn't be getting buried and it'd free him up to unleash his full offensive potential. Honestly might've thrown in a prospect to balance it out as Faska is around the age group of the core (Only 26).

Reactions: Diamonddog01

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019

Agree with this. Good player, could thrive elsewhere if given a bigger offensive role; something he likely doesn’t get in Vancouver. If another team is willing to part with good value, he should be on the block this offseason.

Possibly the biggest reason you look to move him is due to Horvat’s stalled development defensively. Had Horvat reached his defensive potential and was a strong penalty killer, you could afford to have a 3C with an offensive bent. But because Horvat is virtually unplayable short handed, you need a guy in Gaudette’s slot that can play those tough minutes.

Big fan of Gaudette’s nose for the net and offensive instincts. Just not a great fit for the current roster.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
At some point Green's obsession with Brandon Sutter will have to come to end, if only because his contract has only one more shortened season to run, and there isn't a chance that the Canucks bring him back.

It's hard to break in as an everyday center in the NHL, but I thought Gaudette was making solid progress, despite being saddled with a couple duds on the third line in form of Roussel and the aforementioned Sutter.

But it's still too bad the Canucks felt they were forced to peddle Madden at the deadline. He's a natural center, and organizationally the Canucks are dangerously thin down the middle.

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria
I like the idea of running 3 lines that can score as well as being good enough defensively that you don't have to worry about match ups.Unfortunately if Gaudette continues to have defensive issues and neither him or Horvat are good PKers then the idea of a better defensive 3C does make a lot of sense.I think that you need to have all your bottom 6 players capable of playing on the PK as it doesn't make sense to have your top 6 scoring forwards tiring themselves out and risking injury to do that.
I'd say give Gaudette another year to see if he can improve his defense enough and if not,I'd play him at wing in the top 6 and see if he's an upgrade on Virtanen who then could be used for trade bait.

As far as prospects go,we also have Linus Karlsson playing in Sweden who could potentially develop into a bottom 6 center.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I like the idea of running 3 lines that can score as well as being good enough defensively that you don't have to worry about match ups.Unfortunately if Gaudette continues to have defensive issues and neither him or Horvat are good PKers then the idea of a better defensive 3C does make a lot of sense.I think that you need to have all your bottom 6 players capable of playing on the PK as it doesn't make sense to have your top 6 scoring forwards tiring themselves out and risking injury to do that.
I'd say give Gaudette another year to see if he can improve his defense enough and if not,I'd play him at wing in the top 6 and see if he's an upgrade on Virtanen who then could be used for trade bait.

As far as prospects go,we also have Linus Karlsson playing in Sweden who could potentially develop into a bottom 6 center.
Too many other bottom 6 don’t PK like Virtanen, Ferland. Needed that from Roussel.

ideally want 4/6 bottom 6 to do PK. Then your #5/6 options are guys who can do it when a PK forward takes a penalty or is out of the lineup.

shottasasa

Nov 16, 2011
Canada
I’m surprised people are thinking of trading him already. As I said above, defence can be learnt and I firmly believe he can improve as a centre. Offensive instincts and a nose for the net are harder to obtain. If necessary he can be put on the wing where I think he’d be at least a decent scoring winger who can play centre in a pinch, which is very useful utility.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
I’m surprised people are thinking of trading him already. As I said above, defence can be learnt and I firmly believe he can improve as a centre. Offensive instincts and a nose for the net are harder to obtain. If necessary he can be put on the wing where I think he’d be at least a decent scoring winger who can play centre in a pinch, which is very useful utility.

Keep him at C. I think his development goes awry if he's moved from his natural position.

I wouldn't trade him for Faksa either. There's a lot more to gain from seeing Gaudette's potential through than there is to gain from the surety Faksa provides.

This team has a thin pipeline and a small core group. Developing Guadette is the prime route to take given that landscape.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad