Player Discussion Adam Fox

Status
Not open for further replies.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
BTW, can we cool it with the "Adam Fox will be a top 10 defenseman of all time" type threads on the main boards. It's both extremely premature and also embarrassing. Makes us look like enormous homers.
Absolutely. To boast about him being a Top 10 defenseman of all time is incredibly annoying to other people.

Which is why I boast about him being a Top 5 defenseman of all time, to be more concise and annoying.

FireGerardGallant

The Artist Formerly known as FireDavidQuinn
Mar 19, 2016
Guys keep in mind, even the best of the best rarely win more than 1-2 Norris trophies during their career*. And even then, after two, the rarest players start winning them by reputation anyway.

*And yes that applies to Kale Makar too. :laugh:

Take solace in the fact that Fox’s greatest attribute is the only attribute in hockey that improves with age rather than declines.
Noone not named Bobby Orr has ever won his norris that young so hell have more chances then the average candidate. Would be cool if he got 3 and beat the amount Leetch had

MysticLeviathan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 7, 2013
Noone not named Bobby Orr has ever won his norris that young so hell have more chances then the average candidate. Would be cool if he got 3 and beat the amount Leetch had
maker is his biggest obstacle and will be for the next decade unless another phenom pops onto the scene.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
It’s such a treat watching a truly elite defenseman like Makar. Fox really can’t hold his jock strap in the offensive zone. Who cares if Makar doesn’t know where his own zone is, those extra prorated 10 points blow Fox out of the water

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY
It’s such a treat watching a truly elite defenseman like Makar. Fox really can’t hold his jock strap in the offensive zone. Who cares if Makar doesn’t know where his own zone is, those extra prorated 10 points blow Fox out of the water

I do think Makar has a better shot, and is a better skater. Fox is the better passer, has a higher IQ, and is better on defense.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
I do think Makar has a better shot, and is a better skater. Fox is the better passer, has a higher IQ, and is better on defense.
I think Makar is probably a bit more talented than Fox in the offensive zone. I also think Fox is already so good in the o-zone and is so much better defensively that the slight edge on offense to Makar means f*** all

Reactions: KevinFinnerty

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
Noticed something that means nothing but struck me as oddly interesting--Fox has only had 5 scoreless games thus far this season, and ALL of them have been against Canadian teams.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
The NHL Network showed a stat. Fox is one of like 5 or 6 D-men in Rangers history to have 20+ points in his first 20 games. Leetch did it 7 times, LMAO!

xsniper11x

Jul 12, 2002
Visit site
And Fox has more points. Makar gets style points big F'n deal

Not to mention Makar still starts 70% of his shifts in the OZ well Fox is a 50/50 guy while still keeping up with Makar’s pt totals. Fox is certainly proving to be the better all around defensemen.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I think Makar is probably a bit more talented than Fox in the offensive zone. I also think Fox is already so good in the o-zone and is so much better defensively that the slight edge on offense to Makar means f*** all

Makar is the superior offensive talent. The wheels and the shot are high end. He’s a legitimate game breaking player and a monster on the PP.

he is average in his own end at best though and pretty inefficient despite all the tools. Hell of a talent and a top 5 player at the position in the league, but despite that he’s overrated because people see the highlights and splooge over them while ignoring the faults, which do exist.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Maker has 3 points already tonight. The guy is on an absolute tear with no sign of slowing down.

It’s going to be a massive uphill battle for Fox.

It was gonna be anyway, they generally give the award to the same guy unless it's obvious, if it's close they'll just give it to someone else

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
What an incredible generation of defensemen that are in the NHL right now.

Fox, Makar, Hughes, McAvoy, etc. Incredible generation going on in front of our eyes.

Reactions: lilphildub

FireGerardGallant

Mar 19, 2016
Makar's on a TEAR! Makar has THREE points tonight!!!!

Makar is STILL a point behind Fox. And Fox is a better defenseman.
I mean Makar missed like 4 games so him only being a point behind is pretty impressive. These two prob gonna trade norrises the next few years

MysticLeviathan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 7, 2013
I mean Makar missed like 4 games so him only being a point behind is pretty impressive. These two prob gonna trade norrises the next few years

Unless Fox realky turns up the offense, Makar slows down significantly or loses any significant amount of time, I don’t see Fox’s winning another Norris. The only reason he won last year is Makar was out for a significant portion of the season.

Fox is the best overall defenseman, but the Norris puts way more emphasis on offense. It’s frustrating, but that’s the way it is.

FireGerardGallant

Mar 19, 2016
Unless Fox realky turns up the offense, Makar slows down significantly or loses any significant amount of time, I don’t see Fox’s winning another Norris. The only reason he won last year is Makar was out for a significant portion of the season.

Fox is the best overall defenseman, but the Norris puts way more emphasis on offense. It’s frustrating, but that’s the way it is.
But Fox HAS turned up the scoring compared to last year. Fox is currently leading this team in scoring and is over a point per game. I think to decree there will never be another season where Fox’s offense is not comparable or better then Makars is a little silly to be honest.

MysticLeviathan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 7, 2013
But Fox HAS turned up the scoring compared to last year. Fox is currently leading this team in scoring and is over a point per game. I think to decree there will never be another season where Fox’s offense is not comparable or better then Makars is a little silly to be honest.

If voting were to be held today, Maker would win.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Makar isn't gonna shoot 20% all season

I can certainly see Makar scoring more points than Fox this season, but you know what, Fox is over a point per game and we know how excellent he is in all areas of the ice. I don't think they'll always give the Norris to the player with the most points but yeah if we assume Fox and Makar are going to be trotting out point per game season for awhile then I can definitely see the voters trading back and forth (not taking into account other players who might get into teh conversation)

I'm more interested to see the analytics at the end of the season and what they show.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad