Adam Fox v Cale Makar

You can only pick one

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
I guess it's Makar because I watch the Avs for him and I don't watch the Rangers at all :sarcasm:

Jokes aside I think this is a case where both teams are damn happy with what they have. I think both fanbase will probably vote for their player. As I said in a previous post, I haven't watched the Rangers this year sadly so can't comment on Fox but with Makar he has been freaking good. Even almost being PPG (25pts in 26 games) so far this year he hasn't been as impactful as he was last year offensively not because of regression but I think he chooses better when to join the rush he is more aware of his defensive game. He was always called an offensive dman but clearly the defense is coming along well. He doesn't make a lot of mistakes and doesn't have much of a weakness IMO. The only thing that I've noticed so far this year is him bumbling with the puck and some defensive lost coverage. It doesn't happen very often but still can happen. It can be easily improved though.

Reactions: Machinehead

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I guess it's Makar because I watch the Avs for him and I don't watch the Rangers at all :sarcasm:

Jokes aside I think this is a case where both teams are damn happy with what they have. I think both fanbase will probably vote for their player. As I said in a previous post, I haven't watched the Rangers this year sadly so can't comment on Fox but with Makar he has been freaking good. Even almost being PPG (25pts in 26 games) so far this year he hasn't been as impactful as he was last year offensively not because of regression but I think he chooses better when to join the rush he is more aware of his defensive game. He was always called an offensive dman but clearly the defense is coming along well. He doesn't make a lot of mistakes and doesn't have much of a weakness IMO. The only thing that I've noticed so far this year is him bumbling with the puck and some defensive lost coverage. It doesn't happen very often but still can happen. It can be easily improved though.
I agree with this. I think both fanbases are going to stick with their guy and that's fine. I think it's a coin-flip going forward.

What I like about Fox is that he's getting absolutely shit on this year with usage. He has the type of usage where 9/10 times the analytics are really poor and the fans will defend the player by bringing up his usage. Fox is taking that usage and putting it in a submission hold. So what you have is a guy who's an animal defensively and is just also giving you a point per game because he's a nice guy. And I think a guy that's proven he can shovel crap and succeed bodes well in the playoffs down the road.

That would be my reason besides "he's a Ranger." But again, I'm fine with either choice here.

I think if you're going to make an argument for Makar, Fox is really hot right now to be fair, and I think Makar has the raw ability -particularly his skating- to produce numbers like this maybe more consistently throughout their careers, so I do see the case for him.

rangersfansince08

Oct 8, 2019
Makar slightly but both teams are happy. Colorado with a homegrown player and Rangers with a hometown guy. Hughes shouldn't be mentioned in the same breath as either though.

Reactions: Dominance

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
I don’t think any defenceman tilts the ice in transition like Cale Makar (though his teammate Sam Girard is probably pretty close).

I would take Makar for his raw explosive ability, but hell, if Fox keeps throwing up 3-5 point nights on a regular basis, he’s going to blow everyone out of the water :laugh:

Both top-end defenceman well suited to their current clubs.

Reactions: rangersfansince08

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Fox is one of those players I haven’t watched enough of. Looking forward to trying to watch him a bit more, but I’ll take Cale. He’s a freak and might just be a generational defenseman.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
I watch them both a lot since I follow the Avs and the Rangers and pretty much no one else. I'd take Makar, but Fox is not far behind. I think Fox is certainly the better PP QB, and his overall defensive game might be a bit more mature (that's not to say Makar is having a lacking defensive game, not at all). Makar still I think has more of the game breaking ability, and Fox can't match Cales ability to transition the game with his skating speed.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I'm a big fan of both players. I know I'm in the minority, but I like Fox's overall game a tad more. He makes a lot less mistakes, and has that Lidstrom type of ability to keep things calm. But Makar is just so unbelievably dynamic. Most explosive defenseman I've ever seen.

This is kind of like Lidstrom vs Neidermayer. Can't really go wrong with either.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
I think Fox is going to age better. Makar won't be able to skate like that forever.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I agree with this. I think both fanbases are going to stick with their guy and that's fine. I think it's a coin-flip going forward.

What I like about Fox is that he's getting absolutely shit on this year with usage. He has the type of usage where 9/10 times the analytics are really poor and the fans will defend the player by bringing up his usage. Fox is taking that usage and putting it in a submission hold. So what you have is a guy who's an animal defensively and is just also giving you a point per game because he's a nice guy. And I think a guy that's proven he can shovel crap and succeed bodes well in the playoffs down the road.

That would be my reason besides "he's a Ranger." But again, I'm fine with either choice here.

I think if you're going to make an argument for Makar, Fox is really hot right now to be fair, and I think Makar has the raw ability -particularly his skating- to produce numbers like this maybe more consistently throughout their careers, so I do see the case for him.

You’ve mentioned before Leetch was your favourite player when you were younger and made you fall in love with the Rangers. I bet there is a little Machinehead out there somewhere who thinks the same of Fox in New York.

He’s such a good talent, so noticeable on the ice much like Leetch everytime you watch him play. So glad Fox isn’t a Flames player.

As for the poll super close, I’ve been a big Makar fan since his AJHL days when I watched him live a couple times for the Brooks Bandits when the hype was starting to pick up for him big time in his draft year.

I’d take both Fox and Makar over Hughes.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I'll take Makar purely for the fact that his dynamism is special. Like we haven't seen a dman like him before special. But overall the difference between the two isn't huge and Fox has surpassed what I expected of him. I figured he'd be the best dman in the tier below Miro and Makar and be a solid 1D, but he's already an elite 1D.

UncleOscar

Feb 12, 2010
Austin, TX
This one is a lot closer than the poll result suggests.

Still taking Makar, but Fox is definitely making a case.
The thing about the lopsidedness of polls like this doesn't mean that voters think one player is that much better than the other, but that you have to take one and many people feel Makar is marginally better. That's the thing about dealing in absolutes.

Buck Naked

Can't-Stand-Ya
Aug 18, 2016
The thing about the lopsidedness of polls like this doesn't mean that voters think one player is that much better than the other, but that you have to take one and many people feel Makar is marginally better. That's the thing about dealing in absolutes.

Absolutely, I agree.

Would you structure the poll with four alternatives it would probably give a much better view.

Makar AINEC
Makar but it's close
Fox but it's close
Fox AINEC

I think it would be more like 60/40 or even 55/45 but with most people voting for one of the middle options.

Reactions: UncleOscar
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad