Confirmed with Link: Adam Fox for 2019 2nd (NYR), 2020 3rd (cond.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
Butcher was never once near Fox’s level. He’s a pure offensive 4/5 dman. Even devils fans think he isn’t good
Fox doesn’t have an average shot, it’s one of his strengths. Can snipe it from far out or can get his shot through well. Fox doesn’t really have defensive issues either but Butcher definitely does. And I’m not just saying this because he’s a Ranger, I’ve been a big fan of Fox for a while, he’s a consensus top 40 prospect. When Fox is on the ice (at least for Harvard) the whole play runs through him. I think he’ll be similar to Shatty with less offense and better defense
Well, Fox has an accurate shot, but watching his highlights, you can clearly see that’s it’s weak. Good accuracy + weak power = average shot. And Fox does have defensive issues. I think they’re overblown, but nearly every scouting report says he has trouble with that aspect of the game. He has a good stick and anticipation, but can’t clear the net. I don’t know about his positioning, though. I hope you’re right, and I hope his defense is better than advertised. If so, then yea Butcher is not a good comparison.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Well, Fox has an accurate shot, but watching his highlights, you can clearly see that’s it’s weak. Good accuracy + weak power = average shot. And Fox does have defensive issues. I think they’re overblown, but nearly every scouting report says he has trouble with that aspect of the game. He has a good stick and anticipation, but can’t clear the net. I don’t know about his positioning, though. I hope you’re right, and I hope his defense is better than advertised. If so, then yea Butcher is not a good comparison.

His shot is pretty good. Def above average.

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
What makes you say that?
Because he has close to the ceiling that Byram has while being much further along in his development, thus showing that not only is he more NHL ready but he is a much more sure thing

Just my 2 cents

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
Clearing the net as in steam rolling the forward in front of the goalies is not a skill all defenders need but boxing out for screens and deflections is, not sure what was meant. Also, staying with and tying up his man during loose puck scrums, is crucial. He sounds like he's got solid hockey sense so hopefully that will come.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
There’s also some Harvard full games available on YouTube if you guys want a better look at Fox aside from the highlights. He’s pretty much on the ice every other shift

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
Because he has close to the ceiling that Byram has while being much further along in his development, thus showing that not only is he more NHL ready but he is a much more sure thing

Just my 2 cents
Fox doesn’t have Byram’s ceiling or near it imo

Reactions: Trxjw

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Why does everyone keep calling Adam Fox a “known quantity”? He was good in the ECAC, just like .............. HUGH JESSIMAN
Hugh had a good rookie season then never got better. It was his size that people loved. And breaking his leg his 3rd NCAA year also crushed his development.

Not sure how Fox is comparable at all with Jessiman.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
Fox’s wrist shot is similar to Yandle’s- it’s deceptively quick and he knows how to place it accuratelt through traffic. He doesn’t really utilize his slapper because so much of his game is based on controlling the puck on his stick. He’s also really effective reading plays develop in the offensive zone and knows when to activate and release from a pinch very well.

He’s not physically strong defensively because of weak upper body strength, he can be prone to a bit of floating. It’s not the worst thing and can be easily corrected as he learns to play at the pro pace. My comment about the worry of his skill set not translating was predicated on his pension for trying to defend passively as opposed to actively. He’s got the legs to be able to step into guys and the hand-eye coordination to be aggressive in tight on pucks. It’s up to the coaches to help him develop those habits. The other worry is his backwards skating, but that’s just me being nitpicky.

The biggest thing people will notice right away is the transition game. Give this kid an outlet and the puck’s out of your zone cleanly and quickly. He’s an absolute machine at controlling the flow of powerplay entries too. He’s just so good at the subtle reads for when his forwards are activating and switching off the D to open passing seams for him.

Reactions: GodlyRangers

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Why does everyone keep calling Adam Fox a “known quantity”? He was good in the ECAC, just like .............. HUGH JESSIMAN
I don't think he's a known quantity, but he's more of a known quantity than whoever you're taking in the second and third round with those picks. I think that's the point--the picks are lottery tickets whereas with Fox he's so much further along in his development, he appears to be more of a sure thing.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Isn't the ECAC a lot better than it was then? Looks to me like there's a lot more representation in the Sweet 16 than there was in Jessiman's day.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
They had to get him signed soon so he can play in the World Championship which starts in like a week. I imagine he'll be heading to Slovakia in the next couple days.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Yeah, a lot of them were risky for that reason. And I think Panarin is an exceptionally good candidate to age well, as he played much fewer games per season until he was 24, and his hits given and hits taken stats are negligible. Neal signed when he was 30 and was a healthy scratch in year 1. Shattenkirk got injured, but I'm not about to take that out of the sample, because that's a risk with every long-term contract. My point is there's always risk throughout any long-term contract, it's just about how much.

Yah, and again, I'm not really advocating for signing Panarin. I'll enjoy watching him if the Rangers do sign him and I'll hope that things develop such that he's still productive and all when the Rangers are trying to compete, but I'm not sure it's the best idea at this point. The Rangers might need to fill some holes in free agency though and it'll be interesting to see how it all sorts out.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Some of the commentary in here really exposes the lack of basic knowledge about how business in general works.

I can only imagine if Fox was traded elsewhere for the same package and signed an extension with said team afterwards, how many people would be screaming at Gorton for not giving up what we did to get him.

How hard is it to understand that waiting an entire year, in the hopes he will sign with you, is taking a huge gamble.

It's quite easy to see another team trading for him and trying to woo him with money and/or playing time and him choosing to sign there.

This was the right move. If the opportunity was there, which it was, you take it. You don't wait and cross your fingers that he'll arrive next year. Don't be greedy. We got a top-flight prospects for two picks that have less than a 50% chance of making the NHL.

Not to mention the confidence that a go-out-and-get-him move instills in the player. It's a two way relationship. Fox made it known he wanted to play for the Rangers. The Rangers made it known that they want him to play for them

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Werek wasn't a complete bust for NYR though, turned him into Lindberg, who got NYR through expansion draft without losing a more important piece

The player himself was a bust though. That's what is being discussed.

Werek, even with his trade value, netted a #57 overall pick. Still not good value

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad