Confirmed with Link: Adam Engström signs 3 year ELC

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
There, you just fixed the issue of "not enough spots to develop everyone" yourself without even trading anyone.

My idea would be:

Matheson - Guhle
Hutson - Savard
Xhekaj - Barron
Kovacevic

Vet D - Mailloux
Engstrom - Reinbacher
Struble - Trudeau
Guys like Bisson, Galipeau, Tourigny or UDFA for depth

Harris traded (or kept as 7/8D).

Alternatively, keep Struble up and rotate Xhekaj, Barron and Struble until the inevitable injury comes in play. Or keep him down a promote him to 6D over Kovacevic in case of injury.
Not quite, because I was forced to keep Mailloux and Struble in the AHL, when I want them to start in the NHL. And half-way into the season I think at least Reinbacher could use tougher minutes in the NHL too. I'm thinking Engstrom might be on the same curve. So still an issue. It'll be like keeping 3 goaltenders last season. We can do it, doesn't mean it's what's best.

Also: I gave up on Barron. Okay that might be a given for a lot of us.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Not quite, because I was forced to keep Mailloux and Struble in the AHL, when I want them to start in the NHL. And half-way into the season I think at least Reinbacher could use tougher minutes in the NHL too. I'm thinking Engstrom might be on the same curve. So still an issue. It'll be like keeping 3 goaltenders last season. We can do it, doesn't mean it's what's best.

Also: I gave up on Barron. Okay that might be a given for a lot of us.

So the issue is not that we have too many D on contracts, it's that you want too many of them in the NHL.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
So the issue is not that we have too many D on contracts, it's that you want too many of them in the NHL.
Both, we have too many NHL contracts who should develop in the NHL, and that's pushing pressure down in the AHL. A logjam basically. So quality of opposition and ice time will be rationed.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
NHL contracts doesn't mean "need development". For example, Kovacevic has a NHL contract but doesn't require development.

Right now, we have space to play everyone, but no rookie could make the roster. Example:

Matheson - Guhle
Xhekaj - Savard
Struble - Barron
Harris, Kovacevic

Hutson - Reinbacher
Engstrom - Mailloux
Trudeau - XXX

The reason why we would need to trade a D is not playing spots per se, it's NHL roster spots. By trading Harris for example, you allow a rookie to push to make the NHL roster.

You also have to consider that there is a decent chance Savard and/or Kovacevic don't finish the year in Montreal.

For the record, I am for trading both Harris and Ylonen (or the dead wood) to make space at the NHL level for rookies otherwise the roster is pretty much already set.

Harris and Ylonen don't get traded, they get placed on waivers, and likely go down unclaimed.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
He has some but I'd guess it would be around a 3rd round pick in the off-season.

It would be more than that. The Bruins are currently playing Lohrei Grezclyk and Wotherspoon in a playoff series. They would be one of many contending teams that would spend a 2nd to upgrade their blueline especially one that is very young.

Reactions: FloJack

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
It would be more than that. The Bruins are currently playing Lohrei Grezclyk and Wotherspoon in a playoff series. They would be one of many contending teams that would spend a 2nd to upgrade their blueline especially one that is very young.
Kulak went for a late 2nd at the deadline and I would say he's better than Harris. I also don't think you can project Harris to get much better than he is at this point.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011

If the Bruins are willing to part with a 2nd for a third pairing D, why did nobody make that trade at the deadline?

Reactions: SannywithoutCompy

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Kulak went for a late 2nd at the deadline and I would say he's better than Harris. I also don't think you can project Harris to get much better than he is at this point.

Kulak was also a pending UFA. Harris would be cost controlled

Also not sure why a young defenseman can't get any better.

If the Bruins are willing to part with a 2nd for a third pairing D, why did nobody make that trade at the deadline?

They went for Peeke who got hurt and maybe the Habs weren't ready to take Harris out of the equation this year?

You guys are sleeping on the value of a good young defenseman who makes very little money.

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
Why would you limit a player's projection when they are so young and have so little NHL experience, and will only get stronger, faster, and smarter?
Largely because I don't see any tools that would indicate untapped potential. He's a decent passer, okay shooter, decent defensively with his stick, but never shows flashes of anything beyond that. He's a pretty polished ~#5 dman which there's nothing wrong with.

He's already pretty smart, which is what allows him to play in the NHL with his somewhat limited toolset (beyond skating).

Reactions: Hins77 and 26Mats

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Largely because I don't see any tools that would indicate untapped potential. He's a decent passer, okay shooter, decent defensively with his stick, but never shows flashes of anything beyond that. He's a pretty polished ~#5 dman which there's nothing wrong with.

He's already pretty smart, which is what allows him to play in the NHL with his somewhat limited toolset (beyond skating).

I don't think his future is with the Habs. But I hope for his sake he bulks up. I think that could elevate his defensive game.

Reactions: SannywithoutCompy

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
I don't think his future is with the Habs. But I hope for his sake he bulks up. I think that xould elevate his defensive game.
I think he's in an awkward spot where bulking up could limit his only above average skill, which is his skating.

I think he'll have a decent career as a bit of a journeyman (much like Kulak really), but agree that it won't be with us. The value he brings as a 3rd pairing D is less than the potential value of developing our D with more high end skills on that third pairing in my view.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Contending teams don't trade for young players that are still developing at the trade deadline. They trade for established vets and add players like Harris in the off season.
If we trade Harris this offseason I think it will be for a young forward, or a prospect that is further from the NHL.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal

Kulak was a 28 years old D on an expiring 1.85 million contract that lead him to UFA who had 13 points in 56 games. At Harris' age, Kulak had 8 points in 71 games.

Harris is a 23 years old D who has a year on his 1.4m contract and then is RFA for a few years still. He had 14 points in 53 games.

I think experience will help Harris compensate for his lack of size.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
I like this signing, but let's see how he adapts to N.A. Let's remember the noise around our last hyped Swedish d-man before arriving here. I'm hoping for a much better outcome.
Last Euro defense man Habs drafted who actually had success in the league: Peter Popovic (1988) - Swedish.

We had better picks on Russian D since then.

Edit: Passed over Mark Streit.. Swiss..

Durvann

Feb 6, 2013
I wonder what their plan his to ensure they don't undersell these extra def due to team seeing us coming with our "problem". I guess the key is to identify who you want to keep long term before they become waiver eligible.

I personally think Struble/Savard/Kovacevic are gone this year. I somehow prefer Harris' game an d reliability over Struble's. Struble's physical aspect is overrated imo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad