Recalled/Assigned: Adam Edström and Jonny Brodzinski called up, Connor Mackey sent down

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Does Edstrom earn a full day’s NHL salary for being called up for five hours?

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Yeah I have no idea how any of this works.

Everytime I feel like I'm starting to get it, something like this happens and it turns out that I don't.

It's confusing, normally you'd send someone down to bank cap space.

But with LTIR, especially if someone is likely done for the year, you actually want to be as tight against the ceiling as you can, so you can spend more over it.

Being right up against the ceiling, they can add a player with Kakko's cap hit.

If they were a million under the cap ceiling, they'd only be able to add a player with a 1.1M cap hit, instead of 2.1 etc.

Basically just maximizing the 'LTIR Pool' space

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
Does Edstrom earn a full day’s NHL salary for being called up for five hours?
But what about the inconvenience? Dude is busy outside of hockey and was made to do a round-tripper between Hartford and NYC on the MegaBus for shits and kicks.

Megabus.jpg

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
But what about the inconvenience? Dude is busy outside of hockey and was made to do a round-tripper between Hartford and NYC on the MegaBus for shits and kicks.

Megabus.jpg

In all seriousness, he doesn't actually have to physically show up to a Ranger facility or anything, does he?

I think it's just a paper transaction

Reactions: will1066

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
It probably had something to do with maximizing the LTIR space.

Without Edström they are actually accrueing cap space for the deadline. Calling up Edström negated that. So unless there was a bottom-6 player with a bit of discomfort, the callup makes zero sense.

It definitely didn't benefit them cap-wise.

Reactions: egelband

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Without Edström they are actually accrueing cap space for the deadline. Calling up Edström negated that. So unless there was a bottom-6 player with a bit of discomfort, the callup makes zero sense.

It definitely didn't benefit them cap-wise.
I haven't done the math so maybe it wasn't, but the idea is to get as close to the cap as possible before putting a player on LTIR in order to maximize the LTIR cap space.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I haven't done the math so maybe it wasn't, but the idea is to get as close to the cap as possible before putting a player on LTIR in order to maximize the LTIR cap space.
Don't you not accrue cap space for TDL purposes if you're using the LTIR space? So if there was no plan to actually utilize the LTIR space, wouldn't that kind of eliminate the need to maximize it? Forgive me if I'm totally off base as the LTIR thing has always been confusing to me, partly because we really have not had to worry about it as Rangers fans.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Don't you not accrue cap space for TDL purposes if you're using the LTIR space? So if there was no plan to actually utilize the LTIR space, wouldn't that kind of eliminate the need to maximize it? Forgive me if I'm totally off base as the LTIR thing has always been confusing to me, partly because we really have not had to worry about it as Rangers fans.
You don't accrue cap space if you are using LTIR space, but the amount of LTIR space you get is dependent on how much you are spending at the time you place the player on LTIR.

If we were spending 82.5 out of 83.5 and put Kakko on LTIR, our cap ceiling would go up to 84.6 (82.5 + 2.1). If we bring up a player making 900k, the place Kakko on LTIR, our cap ceiling would go up to 85.5 mil (83.4 + 2.1). We then send that 900k player down and accrue cap space, but our cap ceiling remains 85.5 mil.

That's the idea. I have no idea if that's what they were actually trying to do.

Reactions: egelband and nyr2k2

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad