Actual Player Value Thread

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
True. But who are the $9M forwards in the league? All of them are much better than Jake, I would think.

Rantanen is the first player that comes to mind that is a comparable.

He's 26th in PPG and 34th in raw production over the last three years.

Comparables in PPG are Point, Wheeler, Gaudreau, Aho and Landeskog. Nearly all of them are making close to 9 million now or near it if they signed today.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Yeah Jake is worth it and third best on team

But... That sucks lol

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
What are your arguments to say that Sid is not worth $10M a year?
Well for a team with precious few grains of sand left in the hourglass, a 34 year old who has recurring wrist and hernia problems and hasn't done a thing in the playoffs for 3 years running isn't worth $9 million to me, despite scoring at a PPG pace in the regular season. But I don't give a shit about anyone on this roster anymore, to be brutally honest. We could sell off the supporting cast and let the big three decide their fate--either play out their contracts here and retire Penguins or chase the Cup elsewhere--and I don't think anything changes in all practicality. Missing the playoffs entirely versus being out in the 1st round is whatever.

In real world terms, with things like merch sales, ticket sales, and comparable players production-wise, he's worth his contract. But we're not getting $9 million-worth of production or success out of the player when it matters in the playoffs, and haven't for years.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Well for a team with precious few grains of sand left in the hourglass, a 34 year old who has recurring wrist and hernia problems and hasn't done a thing in the playoffs for 3 years running isn't worth $9 million to me, despite scoring at a PPG pace in the regular season. But I don't give a shit about anyone on this roster anymore, to be brutally honest. We could sell off the supporting cast and let the big three decide their fate--either play out their contracts here and retire Penguins or chase the Cup elsewhere--and I don't think anything changes in all practicality. Missing the playoffs entirely versus being out in the 1st round is whatever.

In real world terms, with things like merch sales, ticket sales, and comparable players production-wise, he's worth his contract. But we're not getting $9 million-worth of production or success out of the player when it matters in the playoffs, and haven't for years.

So, to you, who, in the NHL, is worth $9M? If Sid is not, the list must be pretty freaking small.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
So, to you, who, in the NHL, is worth $9M? If Sid is not, the list must be pretty freaking small.
It depends. Like I said, it's a nonsense, vague term to use "worth". Is Skinner worth $9 million? f*** no. Is the face of a franchise who may not be winning scoring titles or propelling their team to the SCF--but sells a buncha jerseys and puts butts in seats--worth $9 million? Probably to an owner. Am I content seeing the team pay such a huge portion of its cap to ever-aging and oft-injured guys who seemingly can't hack it anymore when it matters most? Nah, I don't think that's "worth".

I don't think anyone making substantial money on this team is worth their contract outside of Letang. Not Sid, not Geno, not Jake, not Zucker.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
It depends. Like I said, it's a nonsense, vague term to use "worth". Is Skinner worth $9 million? f*** no. Is the face of a franchise who may not be winning scoring titles or propelling their team to the SCF--but sells a buncha jerseys and puts butts in seats--worth $9 million? Probably to an owner. Am I content seeing the team pay such a huge portion of its cap to ever-aging and oft-injured guys who seemingly can't hack it anymore when it matters most? Nah, I don't think that's "worth".

I don't think anyone making substantial money on this team is worth their contract outside of Letang. Not Sid, not Geno, not Jake, not Zucker.

Ok, that's a fair assessment.

Now, my next question would be, why do you consider Jake not to be worth his cap hit? His production easily justifies it. If he were to hit the open market tomorrow, he'd make much more than what he is now. Sure, the playoffs have been a disappointment for the ENTIRE team the last three years, but then, would you say that Auston Matthews is not worth his contract?

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Ok, that's a fair assessment.

Now, my next question would be, why do you consider Jake not to be worth his cap hit? His production easily justifies it. If he were to hit the open market tomorrow, he'd make much more than what he is now. Sure, the playoffs have been a disappointment for the ENTIRE team the last three years, but then, would you say that Auston Matthews is not worth his contract?
Because all I care about is playoff performances, to be honest. This is no longer a team who can or should be "working through it". Jake's a sidecar. As soon as one or more of the big three move on, whether in retirement or to chase a Cup in a better spot, he's nothing more than a trade asset. Jake's got the defensive attentiveness/effort of Phil Kessel, the temperament to boot, and a fun new bum shoulder that had him hesitant or downright against taking many shots at range, let alone with any real power behind them, all season/playoffs long. He's a problem.

Matthews falls into the "face of the franchise" thing, for me. The real issue with Toronto's cap, imo, is Tavares. Even when guys like Matthews and Marner are making money by the buckets, and failing to translate regular season numbers/success to the playoffs, they're 23 years old. They'll figure it out, or they won't, but they have a bunch of time. Tavares is about to be 31 and makes $11 million AAV. He's way more a problem than Matthews or even the often vilified Marner.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Yeah, this is a "worth more than his contract" versus "worth less than his contract" thread.

For me, our biggest values are:
1) Dumo (+$2.9M)
2) Rust (+$2.5M)
3) Letang (+$2.25M
4) Carter (vs. cap, $1.9M)
5) Kapanen (+$1.5M)

Our biggest net negatives are:
1) Zucker (-$3M)
2) Geno (-$2.4M)
3) Petts (-$1.5M)
4) Matheson (-$1.3M)
5) Marino (-.9M)

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Because all I care about is playoff performances, to be honest. This is no longer a team who can or should be "working through it". Jake's a sidecar. As soon as one or more of the big three move on, whether in retirement or to chase a Cup in a better spot, he's nothing more than a trade asset. Jake's got the defensive attentiveness/effort of Phil Kessel, the temperament to boot, and a fun new bum shoulder that had him hesitant or downright against taking many shots at range, let alone with any real power behind them, all season/playoffs long. He's a problem.

Matthews falls into the "face of the franchise" thing, for me. The real issue with Toronto's cap, imo, is Tavares. Even when guys like Matthews and Marner are making money by the buckets, and failing to translate regular season numbers/success to the playoffs, they're 23 years old. They'll figure it out, or they won't, but they have a bunch of time. Tavares is about to be 31 and makes $11 million AAV. He's way more a problem than Matthews or even the often vilified Marner.

If I understand your logic correctly, the problem with Jake is not his worth versus his contract. Like, we could get a lot of value for him if we traded him and he is definitely a $6M player a year? You just do not like the fit on the 2021 Pens and you think that once we stop trying to contend, he is not a piece you build around. Correct?

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017
Zucker and Pettersson are overpaid. Letang and Rust are underpaid. The rest are paid relatively fairly.

Jobeycool

Jun 20, 2019
Yeah, this is a "worth more than his contract" versus "worth less than his contract" thread.

For me, our biggest values are:
1) Dumo (+$2.9M)
2) Rust (+$2.5M)
3) Letang (+$2.25M
4) Carter (vs. cap, $1.9M)
5) Kapanen (+$1.5M)

Our biggest net negatives are:
1) Zucker (-$3M)
2) Geno (-$2.4M)
3) Petts (-$1.5M)
4) Matheson (-$1.3M)
5) Marino (-.9M)
Good Grief ...I like all the other prices..but you got Marino way over valued.

Jobeycool

Jun 20, 2019
The defense has evolved so much and way to much padding and interference going on in the playoffs mostly...none of the players seem to be worth that price anymore. Well it is mainly because of the massive interference going in the playoffs. Ruining the game and becoming a joke for guys like Connor McDaivid and other great players in the playoffs only.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
If I understand your logic correctly, the problem with Jake is not his worth versus his contract. Like, we could get a lot of value for him if we traded him and he is definitely a $6M player a year? You just do not like the fit on the 2021 Pens and you think that once we stop trying to contend, he is not a piece you build around. Correct?
My issue with Jake is that the player we currently employ is not the player we signed to his deal. He's fallen off a cliff in terms of play and production. He put together the least impressive, most boring PPG campaign I've ever seen. It was predictable from miles away that his production in the regular season would not translate to a playoff atmosphere. Tons of soft points against atrocious teams. For all the drum banging people love to do (not you, just in general) about the Pens winning the division, like that f***ing matters :laugh:, the East had 3 of the 4 worst defensive teams in the NHL.

No, I would not build around Jake Guentzel. He's a sidecar, a complimentary winger, an "in addition to" piece. By the time this team is any sort of competitive or competent again in the post Sid/Geno era, Jake is likely to be north of 30 by a couple years. The second one or more of the big three decide to move on, whether in retirement or to chase the Cup in a better spot, I'd move Jake to the highest bidder.

In all honesty, and I know this is a sacrilegious and scoring hot take, but I hope Geno's knee forces him to retire next summer. I hope he looks at his career earnings, his injury status over the past few years, the current status of the team, and decides to hang 'em up while he has a bit of gas left in the tank to go home and play in Russia for a couple of years a la Datsyuk. This team's a bedazzled turd floating around the pool. Paper tigers, and have been for a while. They'll skill their way into the playoffs with no real world, actual chance of making any noise in the post season because of how they're coached and how they're built. I'd rather Geno retire and help force this team into a rebuild than watch any more of this bullshit, 1st or 2nd round exits annually while we tread water in mediocrity.

So, in short, no. I'm not attached to anyone on this roster and outside of Letang, and maybe Dumo, I don't really think anyone is "worth" their contract, or really worth a damn. Playoffs are all that matter for a team in our current position. I couldn't give a shit less about how Sullivan coaches in January if he's going to continually torpedo this team come spring. I couldn't give a shit about Sid and Jake (and Rust) posting nice numbers in an awful division during the regular season if they're going to continue their multi-year tradition of ghosting it in the playoffs.

I realize the team won't blow it up until they have to because of the revenue big names generate, but this team's stale, boring, and predictable. I can't wait for the rebuild, personally.

dogthateats

May 26, 2011
discord.gg
My issue with Jake is that the player we currently employ is not the player we signed to his deal. He's fallen off a cliff in terms of play and production. He put together the least impressive, most boring PPG campaign I've ever seen. It was predictable from miles away that his production in the regular season would not translate to a playoff atmosphere. Tons of soft points against atrocious teams. For all the drum banging people love to do (not you, just in general) about the Pens winning the division, like that f***ing matters :laugh:, the East had 3 of the 4 worst defensive teams in the NHL.

No, I would not build around Jake Guentzel. He's a sidecar, a complimentary winger, an "in addition to" piece. By the time this team is any sort of competitive or competent again in the post Sid/Geno era, Jake is likely to be north of 30 by a couple years. The second one or more of the big three decide to move on, whether in retirement or to chase the Cup in a better spot, I'd move Jake to the highest bidder.

In all honesty, and I know this is a sacrilegious and scoring hot take, but I hope Geno's knee forces him to retire next summer. I hope he looks at his career earnings, his injury status over the past few years, the current status of the team, and decides to hang 'em up while he has a bit of gas left in the tank to go home and play in Russia for a couple of years a la Datsyuk. This team's a bedazzled turd floating around the pool. Paper tigers, and have been for a while. They'll skill their way into the playoffs with no real world, actual chance of making any noise in the post season because of how they're coached and how they're built. I'd rather Geno retire and help force this team into a rebuild than watch any more of this bullshit, 1st or 2nd round exits annually while we tread water in mediocrity.

So, in short, no. I'm not attached to anyone on this roster and outside of Letang, and maybe Dumo, I don't really think anyone is "worth" their contract, or really worth a damn. Playoffs are all that matter for a team in our current position. I couldn't give a shit less about how Sullivan coaches in January if he's going to continually torpedo this team come spring. I couldn't give a shit about Sid and Jake (and Rust) posting nice numbers in an awful division during the regular season if they're going to continue their multi-year tradition of ghosting it in the playoffs.

I realize the team won't blow it up until they have to because of the revenue big names generate, but this team's stale, boring, and predictable. I can't wait for the rebuild, personally.
Dang I see why you have no time to watch a 9 min long video

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
The defense has evolved so much and way to much padding and interference going on in the playoffs mostly...none of the players seem to be worth that price anymore. Well it is mainly because of the massive interference going in the playoffs. Ruining the game and becoming a joke for guys like Connor McDaivid and other great players in the playoffs only.

And yet, a guy like Kucherov had two monster playoffs in a row. A guy like Hedman is worth his weight in gold.

Price and Weber were worth every penny for the Habs during the playoffs.

Sid, Geno and Letang brought us three Cups and have been worth every penny.

I understand your argument and I agree with it to a degree. I definitely think the NHL needs to enforce their rules better and let guys like McDavid express their talent, especially in the playoffs.

I agree with the bolded part. However, the discussion is about value relative to their contract. Jake Guentzel is paid $6M which considering his production and the comparables is more than fair. He is worth every penny.

Now, he has a lot of value, but the fit might not be there anymore and that's another subject. But as far as the discussion at hand is concerned, I would find it very difficult to agree with someone who says Jake Guentzel is not worth $6M.

Reactions: Big Friggin Dummy

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
And yet, a guy like Kucherov had two monster playoffs in a row. A guy like Hedman is worth his weight in gold.

Price and Weber were worth every penny for the Habs during the playoffs.

Sid, Geno and Letang brought us three Cups and have been worth every penny.

I understand your argument and I agree with it to a degree. I definitely think the NHL needs to enforce their rules better and let guys like McDavid express their talent, especially in the playoffs.

I agree with the bolded part. However, the discussion is about value relative to their contract. Jake Guentzel is paid $6M which considering his production and the comparables is more than fair. He is worth every penny.

Now, he has a lot of value, but the fit might not be there anymore and that's another subject. But as far as the discussion at hand is concerned, I would find it very difficult to agree with someone who says Jake Guentzel is not worth $6M.
Again, it's a murky, vague thing in my opinion to ask what a guy is "worth", or how he's valued. Regular season production? Jake's contract is fine. Actual effectiveness, especially in the post season? Nah, he can kick rocks for all I care. He, Sid, and Rust were as big a problem in our loss as Jarry, but nobody wants to confront that uncomfortable truth. Those three have been duds for three years in a row, Rust has been four, and there's nothing to say they'll suddenly turn back into elite production guys--which Rust never was, even at his best, he was a 9pts in 23 games kinda guy.

Last edited:

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
Jake ($9 million) Sid ($11.5 million) Rust ($6.75 million)
Zucker ($3.75 million) Malkin ($9.75 million) Kap ($4.75 million)
ZAR ($750,000) Carter ($4.5 million) Gaudreau ($900,000)
Zohorna ($800,000) Blueger ($1.75 million) Angello ($850,000)
Total Forwards: $55,050,000

Dumo ($5.25 million)- Letang ($9.75 million)
Matheson ($3 million)- Marino ($3.25 million)
Petts ($2 million)- Ruh ($750,000)
Total Defense: $24,000,000

Jarry ($1 million)
DeSmith ($1.25 million)
Total Goalies: $2,250,000

Total Cap Hit: $81,300,000
Available Cap Space: $200,000

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Again, it's a murky, vague thing in my opinion to ask what a guy is "worth", or how he's valued. Regular season production? Jake's contract is fine. Actual effectiveness, especially in the post season? Nah, he can kick rocks for all I care. He, Sid, and Rust were as big a problem in our loss as Jarry, but nobody wants to confront that uncomfortable truth. Those three have been duds for three years in a row, Rust has been four, and there's nothing to say they'll suddenly turn back into elite production guys--which Rust never was, even at his best, he was a 9pts in 23 games kinda guy.

I don't think worth is really all that murky. Who are we getting a good bang for the buck for, and who are we not? Who is helping us make the playoffs and hypothetically helping us move forward - I realize you think this is a pipe dream - once there.

But you've said your piece - Letang and Dumo are worth it, everyone else north of $4M AAV hasn't been living up. I think we're getting fair value on Sid & Jake right now and Rust's regular season performances make him a bargain...though he's postseasons recently have been poor to say the least.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I don't think worth is really all that murky. Who are we getting a good bang for the buck for, and who are we not? Who is helping us make the playoffs and hypothetically helping us move forward - I realize you think this is a pipe dream - once there.

But you've said your piece - Letang and Dumo are worth it, everyone else north of $4M AAV hasn't been living up. I think we're getting fair value on Sid & Jake right now and Rust's regular season performances make him a bargain...though he's postseasons recently have been poor to say the least.
Eh, I still think it's vague to try and pin "value" or "worth" on a guy. It's not black and white. Is a 1C, PPG guy with defensive ability like Sid worth ~$9 million? Probably. But that player disappears the second the playoffs start for three years running, and between age and injury, I don't expect to ever see Sid at a dominant level again in the post season. Is a 1LW with 35-40g/PPG potential worth $6 million? Sure, no doubt. But again, that player isn't who Jake is as soon as the 1st round starts, and it's been that way since 2018. Is Rust worth his cap hit? In the regular season? Absolutely. Playoffs? Ehhhhh. He's been a ghost on both sides of the puck since 2017, and his best was a mighty 9pts in 23 games--where the timing of his points were far, far more important than the point totals themselves.

Anyone and everyone can kick rocks for all I care. Chapter's closed and we're just watching watered down, late-season reruns until the show is taken off the air.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad