Acquiring Panarin

2-4 Slashin

Tony Granato Fan!
Jul 25, 2005
South Pasadena
Bored speculation based post here... but.
Since we keep getting brought up as one of the rumored destinations. What could we offer for Panarin that would hurt but still be survivable? Of course this is contingent on him signing a long term deal with us.

Hate posts, Leaf fan’s styled posts and honest evaluation posts.. start now!

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Pearson or Toffoli
Muzzin or Martinez
Kale Clague
Jaret Anderson-Dolan
1st Round Pick

And even then, I’m not sure if that’s enough given the fact that Panarin is 26 and has never scored less than 74 points in three seasons.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Don't care what it takes. If Panarin wants LA you get him here. All based on if he agrees to re sign here

member 88115

Panarin is the type of player LA needs, more than any shooter. Columbus is looking for forwards, they don't want D. So we need a third team to give us good asset on Muzzin and/or Martinez (still hopeful Voynov gets signed).

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
I think Panarin is hell bent on testing UFA to choose where he and his wife want to go. That's not to say that he wouldn't re-sign with a team that traded for him, but it's not going to be a certainty. Any offers for him should keep in mind that he's going to be a rental, unless CLB gives other teams permission to discuss an extension (which I don't think they have).

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Without a extension for Pararin I wouldn't waste any assets in a trade.Great player but to risky of a chance giving up assets without a extension.

If Panarin says he will sign, everyone is on the table for the Kings.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I don't think it would be a good idea for the Kings to acquire Panarin. They make soups, sandwiches, and salads. The Kings are trying to make 7 course meals.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
If it's strictly as a rental, you offer a 2019 first and a F prospect, that 2019 first they are thinking is going to be low, adding in Panarin makes those chances it's low a lot better etc, but a full year to let him enjoy the city, enjoy the lifestyle, I think gives a legup on wanting to re-sign etc, then you look at moving out pieces to make him fit.

Reactions: Sleeping Dog

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
he will likely want what like $9M a year? So how does LA even fit that in while building depth.

Acquisition cost would be Pearson, 1st plus high end prospect at minimum.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Columbus's window is closing very fast. Panarin and Bob both look like they will be gone. Two very important pieces and if they go with nothing coming back the team will be screwed.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
You'd have to start with Toffoli and a 1st round pick. After that it gets really tricky. I think the only young guys that are untouchable are Vilardi and Kempe and then I think guys like Kupari, Thomas and JAD are tradeable.

Reactions: Basilisk

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
I'd send them Toffoli and Pearson. Can't give up too many ELC guys, since you'll need them if you sign Panarin. Although Kempe and Iafallo will need new contracts next year too.

I'd get crazy with it. If Dubinsky agreed, I'll take his bad contract at 100%. I'll take Panarin. Send Toffoli, Pearson, Kempe or Iafallo, and they have to take either Muzzin or Martinez. Or, as was said, trade them to a 3rd team or whatever, otherwise the cap doesn't end up working. Although lets not say Columbus has such a loaded defense that they couldn't use M or M.

However it could be done without the picks or longer term ELC's. Probably couldn't be, but there's not enough space if it can't be.

KingTrouty

Allons!
Jan 18, 2015
The Valley
Can we even afford Panarin now? The NHL cap is real. And in before "you do what it takes"

not if it depletes our little depth that we have, and our barely re-stocked prospect pool. Vilardi is a nonstarter in any trade talks, coupled with the contract Panarin is looking for. I dont see how we swing that with the new DD extension/Kovy signing. Panarin will be looking for what, 8M aav?

You wanna talk about "top heavy"...

Reactions: tny760

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
I'd send them Toffoli and Pearson. Can't give up too many ELC guys, since you'll need them if you sign Panarin. Although Kempe and Iafallo will need new contracts next year too.

I'd get crazy with it. If Dubinsky agreed, I'll take his bad contract at 100%. I'll take Panarin. Send Toffoli, Pearson, Kempe or Iafallo, and they have to take either Muzzin or Martinez. Or, as was said, trade them to a 3rd team or whatever, otherwise the cap doesn't end up working. Although lets not say Columbus has such a loaded defense that they couldn't use M or M.

However it could be done without the picks or longer term ELC's. Probably couldn't be, but there's not enough space if it can't be.

Taking Dubinsky at almost $6M, adding Panarin $6M this year and ~$9.5M next, Doughty increase next adds $4M is alot of next year. That's almost $20M in extra cap hits next year. Moving Toffoli, Pearson and Muzzin/Martinez would free up $12.35M. That is still a big gap

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Can we even afford Panarin now? The NHL cap is real. And in before "you do what it takes"

not if it depletes our little depth that we have, and our barely re-stocked prospect pool. Vilardi is a nonstarter in any trade talks, coupled with the contract Panarin is looking for. I dont see how we swing that with the new DD extension/Kovy signing. Panarin will be looking for what, 8M aav?

I think he will be at least $9M

2-4 Slashin

Tony Granato Fan!
Jul 25, 2005
South Pasadena
Villardi is the only one I negotiate around but when you get the chance of a Panarin for at least a good 7+ years I might be tempted. But this is what I offer to start:
For a UFA Panarin, I’d offer Toffoli, 2019 2nd and JAD, I’d add a 2020 1st if he resigns.
If he’s resigned by CBJ (very unlikely) or agrees to an extension I’d offer: TT, Pearson, 2019 1st & one of Kupari or JAD.
In a good youth driven system TT & Pearson are good for more 100 points. The problem is would TT or Pearson resign with CBJ? Do we switch out Pearson for a D and does CBJ need any of our D Depth?

Our lineup looks something like this

Kovi-Kopitar-Brown
Panarin-Carter-Villardi
With a bottom six that includes in no special order Iafallo, Amadio, Lewis, Kempe, Thompson, Clifford..... blah blah blah.

Hmmm... Maybe I’ve been reading the main boards too much?

Last edited:

tny760

Mar 12, 2017

this

we've spent years trying to get a respectable farm after all the draft picks lombardi gave away now people want to ship it off for the new shiny thing?

no thanks guys

Reactions: King Trouty

Basilisk

Aug 5, 2012
You'd have to start with Toffoli and a 1st round pick. After that it gets really tricky. I think the only young guys that are untouchable are Vilardi and Kempe and then I think guys like Kupari, Thomas and JAD are tradeable.

This.

It'd have to be something like Toffoli, Muzzin, 1st, 2nd, and Kupari. That is, unless they can be Jedi-mind-tricked into taking Brodzinski instead of Kupari. Or Voynov's rights instead of Muzzin. Or Pearson instead of Toffoli. Or 3rd and 4th round picks instead of 1sts and 2nds.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad