Acquiring Panarin

Basilisk

Aug 5, 2012
we've spent years trying to get a respectable farm....

While this is true, our Cup window is now. This window revolves around Jonathan Quick. So long as Quick is our #1 goalie, I do not see depleting the farm team as a bad thing to be avoided at all coasts.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Taking Dubinsky at almost $6M, adding Panarin $6M this year and ~$9.5M next, Doughty increase next adds $4M is alot of next year. That's almost $20M in extra cap hits next year. Moving Toffoli, Pearson and Muzzin/Martinez would free up $12.35M. That is still a big gap

Oh yeah, I actually forgot about Doughty's raise. Haha. I was throwing Dubinsky in there to try and decrease the need for younger ELC guys going the other way. Mostly concerned with this season though, and figure out who else needs to go later if you sign Panarin.

Almost impossible to make a deal work, but no question I'd include both Toffoli and Pearson, should that be of any interest to the Jackets.

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
While this is true, our Cup window is now. This window revolves around Jonathan Quick. So long as Quick is our #1 goalie, I do not see depleting the farm team as a bad thing to be avoided at all coasts.

I think the goal of the front office is to not fall into the abyss around 21-22 (by which time we will probably start to see meaningful decline from the present core guys), which is why they probably want to keep guys like Vilardi, Kupari, JAD, Thomas, Clague etc. to ideally sustain to some degree and stay relevant during a transition.

Again, this is what I figure they are thinking, not what I think they SHOULD do.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Villardi is the only one I negotiate around but when you get the chance of a Panarin for at least a good 7+ years I might be tempted. But this is what I offer to start:
For a UFA Panarin, I’d offer Toffoli, 2019 2nd and JAD, I’d add a 2020 1st if he resigns.
If he’s resigned by CBJ (very unlikely) or agrees to an extension I’d offer: TT, Pearson, 2019 1st & one of Kupari or JAD.
In a good youth driven system TT & Pearson are good for more 100 points. The problem is would TT or Pearson resign with CBJ? Do we switch out Pearson for a D and does CBJ need any of our D Depth?

Our lineup looks something like this

Kovi-Kopitar-Brown
Panarin-Carter-Villardi
With a bottom six that includes in no special order Iafallo, Amadio, Lewis, Kempe, Thompson, Clifford..... blah blah blah.

Hmmm... Maybe I’ve been reading the main boards too much?

Yeah to acquire Panarin you have to move contracts to make room for him.

Brown + Toffoli +

And then you get rid of Amart. Make space.

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
Kings can't afford Panarin. He will get $9 million or so on his next contract. The kings have $74.025 million committed to 15 players for 2019-2020.

Without Panarin, the kings are looking at having to get rid of one of the mid level contracts. Probably a defenseman (Phaneuf) in order to sign RFAs Rempal, Iafallo, Kempe, Brickley, etc.

Getting rid of the older/slower Phaneuf would open a spot for Moverare, Clague (if ready), Fantenberg, or any of the other plethora of defensemen the kings have.

To sign Panarin would require not one but at least 2 of the mid level contracts going out in addition to Phaneuf. those contracts would be a forward that Panarin would replace and probably another defenseman - and that still may not be enough. It would open up too many holes in the lineup. If it's 2 forwards, that second forward would have to be replaced.

The Panarin ship sailed once Kovalchuk signed.

AlphaBravo

Jan 31, 2015
Yerevan
I don't think the Kings will even try to land Panarin. If Blake was comfortable moving around several roster players to make cap space to acquire an elite player making $9 million plus, he would have at least made a pitch for Tavares. The fact that he didn't suggests to me that he would rather have depth then trading away roster players to make room for one elite player. To be honest, I am very comfortable with this roster going into the season. I would like to take a long hard look at how Vilardi plays in the NHL before making any more moves.

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
I agree. Blake had more flexibility with Tavares since Kovalchuk was not signed and yet he still didn't go for JT. So I highly doubt Blake goes for Panarin.

If Panarin only extends for 2 years or signs next summer for only 2, then that to me would be a major hint that he's looking at LA for summer 2021. But he won't do that. Too much risk of losing money due to injury.

CowMix

Go Kings Go!
Feb 12, 2006
I agree. Blake had more flexibility with Tavares since Kovalchuk was not signed and yet he still didn't go for JT. So I highly doubt Blake goes for Panarin.

If Panarin only extends for 2 years or signs next summer for only 2, then that to me would be a major hint that he's looking at LA for summer 2021. But he won't do that. Too much risk of losing money due to injury.

Huh? Isn't Panarin a UFA next year?

Kings should push hard for Panarin, adding him now while the core can still play would give us a chance at another cup.

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
Either he wants LA or he doesn't. If he does, we sign him as a UFA and keep all our goodies. Then trade enough salary for even more future goodies. Star added, future increased, no up-front risk.

Trading for Panarin sounds sexy but we assume all the risk. And we've been burned several times already.

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
Huh? Isn't Panarin a UFA next year?

Kings should push hard for Panarin, adding him now while the core can still play would give us a chance at another cup.

Yes, 2019 UFA. That's why I'm saying 2 year extension or signs somewhere in 2019 for 2 years. Totals 3 years which is the length of Kovalchuk's contract.

2-4 Slashin

Tony Granato Fan!
Jul 25, 2005
South Pasadena
If he’s testing UFA in 2019 we should be kicking the tires and offloading mid level contracts for that NEXT offseason. If not him we’ll have $$ to shop with.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
He's a stud, but trading for him would be far too risky.. The Kings would have to overpay (other teams will offering...) for a rental. He will wait (as has been pointed out) until next summer and listen for the 'ka chings' to arrive.
He' want 9-10M per year, which the Kings can't afford with Kopi and Doughty...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad