DET
NYI
WPG
NJD
@FLA
@BOS
PHI

That could easily be 2-10

I feel like there's a stretch like this every year. Every time we think they're going to fall out of it and have to accept that they should sell, and every time it doesn't happen.

Capitlols

Historic Chokers
Feb 9, 2010
Depending on how long OV is out, wouldn't shock me if they lost all of them.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
We will get up for that Boston game. Maybe Montreal and Philly.

Oates trying to manage George's train wreck roster may not be easy, but a lot of what he does is laughable and illogical. People used to get mad at Dale for not talking to players. Talk is cheap. Clearly whatever Oates is saying is not working so how important is it that he keeps saying the same thing to them? At least Dale got an honest days work out of his players, without saying anything. Impressive if you think about it.

How many scoreless games does he give Erat at his non natural position before he considers what is clearly the unthinkable. 100? 200? Add to that, Brouwer can play both sides up and down the entire lineup, yet remains the uncontested 2RW on a team with 6RWs. It is but one example of Oates not at least trying to make George's lineup work.

Stewie G

Needed more hitting!
Oct 19, 2009
Genuinely curious. What did the team's ES possession numbers look like under Hunter compared to Oates?

Capitlols

Historic Chokers
Feb 9, 2010
We will get up for that Boston game. Maybe Montreal and Philly.

Oates trying to manage George's train wreck roster may not be easy, but a lot of what he does is laughable and illogical. People used to get mad at Dale for not talking to players. Talk is cheap. Clearly whatever Oates is saying is not working so how important is it that he keeps saying the same thing to them? At least Dale got an honest days work out of his players, without saying anything. Impressive if you think about it.

How many scoreless games does he give Erat at his non natural position before he considers what is clearly the unthinkable. 100? 200? Add to that, Brouwer can play both sides up and down the entire lineup, yet remains the uncontested 2RW on a team with 6RWs. It is but one example of Oates not at least trying to make George's lineup work.

It is impressive looking back at it. If you think about it they're still collapsing a lot, but they aren't blocking shots well, they're just screening their own goalies. They were 6th in blocked shots under Hunter, 27th now. Doesn't tell the whole story, but I remember guys selling out to block shots back then, you won't see that now.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Dale doesn't talk to me :(

Boo ****ing hoo cry me a ****ing river. Maybe if you weren't afraid of getting hit with the puck you wouldn't be turning to the media about your career turning stagnant.

I bet the ES numbers under Dale looked bad. I assume he had hoped for significantly better neutral zone play resulting in quick counters, but that never really materialized since our forwards were just stuck in attack mode mentally from the BB era.

But after the neutral zone EZPass, he made the forwards collapse down and support a meh D and young Gs. Which they did well, Ovi learn block shot hahaha. Our breakout was rusty, but we somehow always seemed to score just enough to be in every game.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Genuinely curious. What did the team's ES possession numbers look like under Hunter compared to Oates?

the caps didn't forecheck under hunter. they played a very passive one man in system and if they scored a goal for a lead they played 5 men in the neutral zone. they did not carry the puck into the offensive zone.

iirc mike green was required to dump the puck in as soon as he crossed the red line.

under hunter the caps really didn't want the puck unless they were behind.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
It is impressive looking back at it. If you think about it they're still collapsing a lot, but they aren't blocking shots well, they're just screening their own goalies. They were 6th in blocked shots under Hunter, 27th now. Doesn't tell the whole story, but I remember guys selling out to block shots back then, you won't see that now.

different players largely. a lot less experience among this current group as opposed to that one, particularly on defense. with Erskine out, the caps oldest d is green. 3 d combined have less than 100 games of experience.

who were the caps best shot blockers then? are they still on the team?

Capitlols

Historic Chokers
Feb 9, 2010
different players largely. a lot less experience among this current group as opposed to that one, particularly on defense. with Erskine out, the caps oldest d is green. 3 d combined have less than 100 games of experience.

who were the caps best shot blockers then? are they still on the team?

Carlson, Hamrlik, Alzner, Wideman, Laich.

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
the caps didn't forecheck under hunter. they played a very passive one man in system and if they scored a goal for a lead they played 5 men in the neutral zone. they did not carry the puck into the offensive zone.

iirc mike green was required to dump the puck in as soon as he crossed the red line.

Yeah, I in no way, shape, or form want a return to Hunter hockey. I agree with you that we did not forecheck at all, it was really all about counterattack and then back off if you don't score on your first shot. The shot blocking thing was admirable but I wouldn't want my team's success hinging on that for a couple reasons. One, injuries. And two, it leaves players open to the fake shot.

I'm just tiring of the extremes with our coaches. No chefs, just guys who know how to make pancakes, boiled eggs, and grilled burgers. And our GM is providing them with foie gra, skittles, and goat cheese.

Stewie G

Needed more hitting!
Oct 19, 2009

I couldn't tell from watching. That was super helpful.

Does anyone have any actual numbers?

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
That version of Hammer is exactly what Green and likely most all of our PMRHD could use.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Carlson, Hamrlik, Alzner, Wideman, Laich.

now we know why wideman and hamrlik played so much in the playoffs. now maybe we know why laich hasn't been the same since. now maybe we know why Carlson had such an erratic regular season last season.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
That version of Hammer is exactly what Green and likely most all of our PMRHD could use.

hamrlik is a reason why hunter hockey is unsustainable. remember what happened with hamrlik the next season and the ripping McPhee took in these parts over signing him.

hamrlik was good and hunter used all that he had left in the tank. maybe hunter hockey had nothing to do with what has happened to brooks laich since those playoffs, but he certainly has looked like has been used up himself.

Capitlols

Historic Chokers
Feb 9, 2010
now we know why wideman and hamrlik played so much in the playoffs. now maybe we know why laich hasn't been the same since. now maybe we know why Carlson had such an erratic regular season last season.

Calle Johansson blows?

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I couldn't tell from watching. That was super helpful.

Does anyone have any actual numbers?
I haven't seen a recent comparison but this was eight games into this season:

Hunter-Oates_Chart.png

Overall this season the Caps are at:
5v5 All: GF% 46.0, SF% 47.3, FF% 48.5, CF% 49.3
5v5 Close: GF% 45.1, SF% 47.4, FF% 48.2, CF% 48.9

What has changed since then under Oates? A much worse GF% overall and in tight games, despite an improved close SF% and a slight uptick in possession stats. Still not the stuff of a good possession team overall and they seem to have less of an identifiable method. They have the puck a bit more but struggle to generate shot quality or break down opposition defenses with any ease. Typically it's just the opposite with them getting broken down easily while overall playing more with the puck.

Their 5v5 All SF% being the same as under Hunter is pretty awful. I see way less buy-in compared to Hunter, particularly lately.

swimmer77

More PIM's than Points
Jun 22, 2010
in water
hamrlik is a reason why hunter hockey is unsustainable. remember what happened with hamrlik the next season and the ripping McPhee took in these parts over signing him.

hamrlik was good and hunter used all that he had left in the tank. maybe hunter hockey had nothing to do with what has happened to brooks laich since those playoffs, but he certainly has looked like has been used up himself.

Hamrlik got off to a slow start because of the lockout and never was "allowed" to work himself into shape like the others. And he wasn't the reason for the team's early failings last year. Frankly, the game he played before his scratches started, I'd say he was one of the better d-men on the ice. He was just a convenient scapegoat at the time. I'd say the lockout did him in more than anything - not Hunter's system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad