Speculation: Acq/ Rost. Bldg./ Cap Part XVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoJoSauce

Apr 3, 2011
NNK
41 year old Jagr has two less points than 27 year old Ovechkin. That's depressing.

41 year old Jagr also owes back taxes and is broke. There is a big difference between the 41 year old who is trying milk the very last ounce of milk out of the teat known as the NHL vs. Mr. 9 million a year about to marry a tennis pro.

Ovi lacks motivation and heart. He has won every individual tropy there is, and his desire for those is gone. He needs some youth to motivate and challenge him, or a change of scenery where he isn't the primary force. Also never placing that C on his chest might have helped. He leads by example, and in games when he doesn't have a SOG no one is going to follow that lead

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
He takes dumb penalties, is not strong on the boards, and is not good defensively.

Who is he.

It's ironic, the things that Semin was accused of being, Ribeiro is guilty of as well. He yaps and gets unsports, is not a big boards guy, and waves at faceoffs.

While Ribs is eligible for a Seminesque contract 1@6M, which would buy GM another year to see if MJ can be our C, I have a feeling George is stuck in a bad place. Ribs is going to laugh at that offer.

The plan is to compete every year and then one year it will be our turn. So he can't sell our top scorer Ribs with Ted staring at him, and he can't ink him to a huge contract with fans with capgeek bookmarked watching his every move.

fedfed

@FedFedRMNB
Oct 28, 2010
Moscow City
He takes dumb penalties, is not strong on the boards, and is not good defensively.

Who is he.

It's ironic, the things that Semin was accused of being, Ribeiro is guilty of as well. He yaps and gets unsports, is not a big boards guy, and waves at faceoffs.

While Ribs is eligible for a Seminesque contract 1@6M, which would buy GM another year to see if MJ can be our C, I have a feeling George is stuck in a bad place. Ribs is going to laugh at that offer.

The plan is to compete every year and then one year it will be our turn. So he can't sell our top scorer Ribs with Ted staring at him, and he can't ink him to a huge contract with fans with capgeek bookmarked watching his every move.

Trade Ribeiro, draft Barkov/MacKinnon/Drouin. Youngsters with star potential are public attractions, symbolizing the new hope (see: Ovechkin, Backstrom, RGIII, Strasbourg, Harper). They will bring people to the stands, so it's a win-win for commercialized owner, capgeek-y fans and results-oriented GM.

fsnoles98

Mar 16, 2009
Trade Ribeiro, draft Barkov/MacKinnon/Drouin. Youngsters with star potential are public attractions, symbolizing the new hope (see: Ovechkin, Backstrom, RGIII, Strasbourg, Harper). They will bring people to the stands, so it's a win-win for commercialized owner, capgeek-y fans and results-oriented GM.

The biggest difference there is Ted has no part of the Nationals and I'm glad. He destroys teams, but does a GREAT job marketing them.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006

It seems obvious what needs to be done but I am not sure Ted wants to take a year off for fear of the perceived negative marketing. Maybe more important than getting a late first for Ribs or even adding a top tier prospect, it would afford time to get Ovi sorted out in a low pressure environment.

But it seems it takes the average fan a few years to be able to even correctly pronounce the new stars name (bark off :facepalm:), let alone pay to see him. Let's use Ovi as an example.

Then again, the modern day media gets news out fast. And DC is drowning in cash, spending it as fast as we can print and borrow it. The fans will be there. That is where Ted fails, his obsession with marketing blocks his view of what is best to do. The fans are not going anywhere.

Last edited:

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Perhaps the reason to not trade Ribeiro is the common belief a team needs very strong center depth to have any chance at a cup. While there will be cheaper options available, we often get what we pay for. A cheaper option.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Perhaps the reason to not trade Ribeiro is the common belief a team needs very strong center depth to have any chance at a cup. While there will be cheaper options available, we often get what we pay for. A cheaper option.

Well I'd be fine if we trade him or resign him. I wouldn't be fine with letting him walk for nothing when we are a longshot to make the playoffs.

If we DON'T trade him, DON'T make the playoffs and then let him walk for nothing then I will be furious if GMGM is not fired. He has to use option 1 or 2 here

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Ok so it looks like the Phoenix board's counter offer is Johansson, Neuvirth, Forsberg, and a 2013 protected 1st (if top 10 it becomes a 2013 and 2014 2nd instead) for Yandle.

My original offer was Johansson, Neuvirth, Wilson, and a 2013 2nd for Yandle.

Thoughts?

Of course the Yotes fans wants that much. No chance they give up Forsberg and a 1st. I agree with you.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York

Who is he.

When Semin was scoring like Ribeiro, no one gave a **** about his antics. It was idle whining rather than pitchforks. It's amazing to me that people continue to struggle with that.

Ribeiro is a noted locker room problem, a diver and a whiner. I don't care so long as he's making the team better.

brs03

Coo coo ca cha!
Jun 2, 2008
Maryland
When Semin was scoring like Ribeiro, no one gave a **** about his antics. It was idle whining rather than pitchforks. It's amazing to me that people continue to struggle with that.

Ribeiro is a noted locker room problem, a diver and a whiner. I don't care so long as he's making the team better.

He's not necessarily making them better, though; or, I should say, not better enough. Semin, for all his warts, was never the ES liability that Ribeiro is right now. He's getting dominated.

Maybe it's Ovi weighing him down (although Ovi isn't nearly as bad at getting outchanced at even strength). But it's a serious issue that's getting masked by his good PP production.

Apr 6, 2004

This and it's clear he is but we have to consider the future as well. Maximizing his value if he really has no intent to stay or we can't afford him. Really would love to see how that type of conversation goes between GMGM and 'X' player / agent.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Of course the Yotes fans wants that much. No chance they give up Forsberg and a 1st. I agree with you.

Not directed at you RS but....

WHY THE HELL WOULD WE WANT YANDLE!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Don't we have a collection of soft puck movers already??? Do we really need more???

We need nasty. We need a crease clearer. We need toughness. Yandle is none of those and would cost an arm and a leg.

The concept of building a team, with the correct and complimenting pieces, is lost in an effort to pine for that shiny new toy.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
MacKinnon is going to look awesome in a Caps sweater next season.

And then once the Caps development gets ahold of him, he'll progressively look worse and worse until they have Ovechkin 2.0, with a bloated lifetime contract.

Fire McPhee and bring in a new guy with a good player development resume (and who will fire Nemish). Blow up the org. Then let said new guy do what he wants with the roster. The organization is beyond salvaging. The roster isn't.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006

I am not sure Ribs has been here long enough to be compared to Semin and specifically, fans perceptions of those players.

IIRC fans did always complain about a Semin hook long before his and our teams scoring dried up. Lazy, flight risk, introverted, bad egg, sullen seemed to be complaints about him for quite a long time.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
I am not sure Ribs has been here long enough to be compared to Semin and specifically, fans perceptions of those players.

IIRC fans did always complain about a Semin hook long before his and our teams scoring dried up. Lazy, flight risk, introverted, bad egg, sullen seemed to be complaints about him for quite a long time.

Where are all the Semin haters? The ones who INSISTED we'd be a better team without him? The addition by subtraction crowd?

Haven't heard a peep from them.

I know alot of us defended him for a long time when he was here.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Where are all the Semin haters? The ones who INSISTED we'd be a better team without him? The addition by subtraction crowd?

Haven't heard a peep from them.

I know alot of us defended him for a long time when he was here.

George didn't really change the dynamic of the team, replacing Semin with Ribs.

The Semin haters should soon hate Ribeiro, right? Lazy, slacker, bad egg, dumb penalties.

If George had changed the dynamic of the team, gotten two bulldog 2b/3a line guys at 3M each, maybe that would have had a bigger impact on the team.

We replaced an elite and somewhat scrappy winger with an elite and somewhat short tempered center. Who is getting setup to walk for nothing.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
George didn't really change the dynamic of the team, replacing Semin with Ribs.

The Semin haters should soon hate Ribeiro, right? Lazy, slacker, bad egg, dumb penalties.

If George had changed the dynamic of the team, gotten two bulldog 2b/3a line guys at 3M each, maybe that would have had a bigger impact on the team.

We replaced an elite and somewhat scrappy winger with an elite and somewhat short tempered center. Who is getting setup to walk for nothing.

I don't know if two more Joel Wards/Troy Brouwers would change much.

This team needs an identity change from the top down IMO.

swimmer77

More PIM's than Points
Jun 22, 2010
in water
Oates changing things up................

Matt Hendricks – Nicklas Backstrom – Alex Ovechkin

Eric Fehr – Marcus Johansson – Troy Brouwer

Jason Chimera / Mathieu Perreault – Mike Ribeiro – Joel Ward

Wojtek Wolski / Aaron Vopatti – Jay Beagle – Joey Crabb

Karl Alzner - Tomas Kundratek

Jeff Schultz - John Carlson

Cameron Schilling - Steve Oleksy

Ribeiro surely will want to stay now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events