Speculation: Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap Part XLI *(Poll added 2/12)*

Status
Not open for further replies.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
people are just going to ignore what historically is hard to deny. You have to be GREAT down the middle.

chicago wasn't great down the center, they did have a hell of a deep offense though. having every line being able to compete/produce is the most important thing and i think the 2nd line needs be to addressed through the most cost efficient means necessary (for rentals only i mean). If we have to give a kings ransom for Vermette than **** it, add to our winger depth.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
people are just going to ignore what historically is hard to deny. You have to be GREAT down the middle. Its a lot to expect him to be that player this year, I agree. I don't think its simply out of the question either....but when you look back at the centers from Cup winners its like a HoF list

Its a tough call. He is playing center much better than I expected and to me, he look like the long term solution there. The guy you replace him with at 2C has to be quite a bit better now but not a long term solution. I guess it comes down to how they feel about moving him to wing

I think the spot that could make the biggest impact is probably 1RW. If they can get someone that can cement his spot there, really click, it could be an absolute beast of a line

Exactly.

Vermette is worth the splash, IMO. He's a fantastic two-way player and fits perfectly into Trotz system. If they want to FINALLY win a Cup, they need to go all-in. Stop *****footing and waiting for players to develop. The core is only getting older. There's nothing wrong with letting Kuznestov grow into his frame a couple more years.

If they decide to go the 1RW route it'd better be a stud.

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
Exactly.

Vermette is worth the splash, IMO. He's a fantastic two-way player and fits perfectly into Trotz system. If they want to FINALLY win a Cup, they need to go all-in. Stop *****footing and waiting for players to develop. The core is only getting older. There's nothing wrong with letting Kuznestov grow into his frame a couple more years.

If they decide to go the 1RW route it'd better be a stud.

Vermette is going to cost us a arm and a leg. Not really worth it when he's going to test free agency and be one of the top paid players this offseason (meaning he will be greatly overpaid).

I want to make a move and make a big splash - and we really do need a top winger or #2 center, but I don't want to give up some big pieces to do so.

There has to be someone under the radar we could get for less.

I still think Derek Roy could be a good playoff guy. Great two ways, has gone against other teams top lines a ton, 1 million/season this year, and would be very cheap to get.

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
people are just going to ignore what historically is hard to deny. You have to be GREAT down the middle. Its a lot to expect him to be that player this year, I agree. I don't think its simply out of the question either....but when you look back at the centers from Cup winners its like a HoF list

Its a tough call. He is playing center much better than I expected and to me, he look like the long term solution there. The guy you replace him with at 2C has to be quite a bit better now but not a long term solution. I guess it comes down to how they feel about moving him to wing

I think the spot that could make the biggest impact is probably 1RW. If they can get someone that can cement his spot there, really click, it could be an absolute beast of a line

You don't have to be "great" at the position. You just have to get hot at the right time and be better than the team you're playing against 4 out of 7 times.

It's the same argument as "You have to be more tough like the LA Kings and Bruins with a great D and goaltender" who are two of the most physical teams in the NHL VS "You have to have a lot of skill like the Blackhawks and Penguins". Both have been successful. Both have won Cups.

What wins Cups is just having a lot of really good players at the top of your lineup. Pittsburgh, LA, Chicago, Boston, etc all have MULTIPLE players that are all star potential each year. Right now we have a ton of very high prices "role" players.

I'd love to add a amazing top 6 guy, but It's not something "YOU HAVE" to do. Heck, maybe Kuzy is our Tyler Seguin this playoffs? ;)

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Vermette is going to cost us a arm and a leg. Not really worth it when he's going to test free agency and be one of the top paid players this offseason (meaning he will be greatly overpaid).

I want to make a move and make a big splash - and we really do need a top winger or #2 center, but I don't want to give up some big pieces to do so.

There has to be someone under the radar we could get for less.

I still think Derek Roy could be a good playoff guy. Great two ways, has gone against other teams top lines a ton, 1 million/season this year, and would be very cheap to get.

If you're going to overpay, do it at a critical position like 2C.

Dumping Laich/Ward and letting Green walk frees up over 11m in Cap space in the offseason. After they re-up Holtby and Mojo (assuming he isn't traded), that's 7-8 million free.

They'll be spending that money at the forward position anyways.

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
Pay the price for a real C and plug him into line two, the only real weakness of the roster. Win a Cup already...

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
One player that's kind of flying under the radar as a trade target is a personal tormentor of the Caps -- Nick Foligno.

Ovechkin-Backstrom-Johansson
Foligno-Kuznetsov-Brouwer

That ain't bad, and I think Foligno plays a suitably "heavy" game that would fit the Trotz system well.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
If you're going to overpay, do it at a critical position like 2C.
Then IMO don't do it for a rental, do it for Kadri or Bozak or someone with term remaining. Not that either of those two are necessarily the solution but I don't think Vermette makes much sense. They need to approach the deadline with longer-term thinking ala Kane. With Vermette, I find it unlikely they're going to want to give him the sort of term he wants (even if he were open to giving the Caps a bit of a discount on the cap hit). He's the best among rentals but as a real piece I doubt it's realistic.

Vermette is likely to cost a first and maybe a first plus so I think you'd kind of have to consider players with term remaining as more attractive.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
So many options and variables this year. If GMBM pulls off something that gets even 50% approval here it will be a hell of an achievement. Getting almost everyone on board would be a magic trick.

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
Then IMO don't do it for a rental, do it for Kadri or Bozak or someone with term remaining. Not that either of those two are necessarily the solution but I don't think Vermette makes much sense. They need to approach the deadline with longer-term thinking ala Kane. With Vermette, I find it unlikely they're going to want to give him the sort of term he wants (even if he were open to giving the Caps a bit of a discount on the cap hit). He's the best among rentals but as a real piece I doubt it's realistic.

Vermette is likely to cost a first and maybe a first plus so I think you'd kind of have to consider players with term remaining as more attractive.

Tyler Ennis would be good - but more importantly - lets not forget about Ryan O'Reilly. He definitely won't want to come back to Colorado after the last salary issues, and he will be a UFA after next season.

He's signed for 6 million this and next year. That gives Kuzy/Burro time to develop a bit more. Colorado have MacKinnon and Duchene at center already too - so they can do without O'Reilly.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Rumor mill says they want a greater return than Evander Kane fetched.

This is what I was afraid of. ****ing Buffalo may be blowing the curve with that Kane deal. And now there's talk that TOR and I think EDM may be gearing up for early moves. The prices may be so high, we might do nothing.

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
This is what I was afraid of. ****ing Buffalo may be blowing the curve with that Kane deal. And now there's talk that TOR and I think EDM may be gearing up for early moves. The prices may be so high, we might do nothing.

OTOH we could get a massive return on Green...

amjay13

Jan 7, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
I'm afraid they'll be too afraid to pay the necessary price for Vermette after the Forsberg debacle. I'd go all in but I don't think they do.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
OTOH we could get a massive return on Green...

If we're sellers we need to wait. If we're buyers we need to move asap. And with so much depending on 2 d-men coming off of injuries in 2 weeks (and presumably another 2 weeks of "development" from 3 young players, at least one of which is always scratched...how insane is that) it's not looking favorable.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
They should be going all in until Ovechkin retires.
Any franchise that needs to go all-in repeatedly doesn't have any idea what they're doing. They need to build, evaluate, develop and make shrewd timely and responsible moves. I don't know whether they're truly capable of doing any of those things. Typically it's been draft finesse, hope and fill the rest of the roster out with grinders.

McKenzie reported tonight that Montreal have been shopping Eller & Emelin for months and that moving term is difficult due to cap uncertainty. Might be a good opportunity to acquire term at slashed rates in some cases.

Zoidberg Jesus

Trotzkyist
Oct 25, 2011
One player that's kind of flying under the radar as a trade target is a personal tormentor of the Caps -- Nick Foligno.

Ovechkin-Backstrom-Johansson
Foligno-Kuznetsov-Brouwer

That ain't bad, and I think Foligno plays a suitably "heavy" game that would fit the Trotz system well.

He's under the radar because he signed a 6 year contract with Columbus less than 2 months ago.

Mothra

The Groovy Guru
Jul 16, 2002
Parts Unknown
Visit site
chicago wasn't great down the center, they did have a hell of a deep offense though. having every line being able to compete/produce is the most important thing and i think the 2nd line needs be to addressed through the most cost efficient means necessary (for rentals only i mean). If we have to give a kings ransom for Vermette than **** it, add to our winger depth.

compared to other teams historically, sure. They don't compare to some of the combos we have seen...but they had one of the top centers in the game followed by good center strength and overall forward skill. NJ and the most recent Wings teams might be good examples of teams that didn't have more than 1 top shelf center.

In any case it seems like we agree its forward help they need

Mothra

The Groovy Guru
Jul 16, 2002
Parts Unknown
Visit site
You don't have to be "great" at the position. You just have to get hot at the right time and be better than the team you're playing against 4 out of 7 times.

It's the same argument as "You have to be more tough like the LA Kings and Bruins with a great D and goaltender" who are two of the most physical teams in the NHL VS "You have to have a lot of skill like the Blackhawks and Penguins". Both have been successful. Both have won Cups.

What wins Cups is just having a lot of really good players at the top of your lineup. Pittsburgh, LA, Chicago, Boston, etc all have MULTIPLE players that are all star potential each year. Right now we have a ton of very high prices "role" players.

I'd love to add a amazing top 6 guy, but It's not something "YOU HAVE" to do. Heck, maybe Kuzy is our Tyler Seguin this playoffs? ;)

again...historically speaking you need to be great down the middle to win the Cup. Look at the centers on the teams you list. Those teams have some great centers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad