Speculation: Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap Part XLI *(Poll added 2/12)*

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReggietheSavage15

Feb 27, 2008
My response to BR, from the other thread:

So we shouldn't trade for him because you don't like him? NOTHING about your post is objective.

Not once did I put together any sort of trade package suggesting who we should move to bring him in...so slow your roll.

It would be beyond foolish to not do any due diligence to see what it would take to bring him in. If the price is too high or if it won't work financially, move on. Simple as that.

Another thing, in what world would someone give up on a 23 year old talent like Kane? You seem to forget that we had the same immaturity issues here in DC when the "young guns" were actually younger.

Like I said before, there is a strong enough core here which I think could help keep him in line. Calling him Chris Stewart or a headcase is a bit over the top.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Another thing, in what world would someone give up on a 23 year old talent like Kane? You seem to forget that we had the same immaturity issues here in DC when the "young guns" were actually younger.

I was going to make a similar remark. I see a lot of talk about players such as "but he's only 23/24/whatever" here. Hard to make the case against a player who's that young if you're constantly making age arguments for others.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
My response to BR, from the other thread:

So we shouldn't trade for him because you don't like him? NOTHING about your post is objective.

Not once did I put together any sort of trade package suggesting who we should move to bring him in...so slow your roll.

It would be beyond foolish to not do any due diligence to see what it would take to bring him in. If the price is too high or if it won't work financially, move on. Simple as that.

Like I said before, there is a strong enough core here which I think could help keep him in line. Calling him Chris Stewart or a headcase is a bit over the top.

I laid out my reasons very clearly: off ice issues, being healthy scratched, playing lazy too often all that combined with a hefty price tag and cap hit.

Really? The young guns here? I don't recall off ice issues nor any of them being healthy scratched to be honest. Kane's issues are nothing like that.

Chris Stewart has been scratched due to lacksidasical play. Kane has that and throws in a messure of breaking team rules.

Also Kane has not played a full season as of yet unless you count the strike shortened year. He missed about 20 games last year and is on pace to miss a similar amount this year.

There are plenty of red flags as to why we should avoid this player at all costs.

A stable vet like Justin Williams with loads of experience? Sure

Problem players with a history of issues and inconsistency like Steward and Kane? No thanks

I was going to make a similar remark. I see a lot of talk about players such as "but he's only 23/24/whatever" here. Hard to make the case against a player who's that young if you're constantly making age arguments for others.

Sure I've made age arguments for MJ and guys like Wilson and others probably .

But do either of those guys have or had issues of laziness? Of being healthy scratched for violating team rules?

For Kane where there is smoke there is fire and from an alleged assault case to running out of restuarant bills to being late to the rink...etc He got scratched last year too and when asked what he had to do to get back in the lineup the coach said "show up to the rink"

Has MJ or Wilson ever just not shown to the rink? Do you hear about problems off the ice?

The Flyers in part traded guys like Lupul, Richards, Carter etc for "partying too much". Those guys may have been young but I don't recall them missing practice or getting in legal trouble.

The Caps ripped apart their 1990 ECF team due to a limo incident where no one was prosecuted.

There is a difference of defending young players who are learning the game vs young ones who have repeated off ice issues.

Last edited:

Zoidberg Jesus

Trotzkyist
Oct 25, 2011
So...

We trade significant assets including a roster player or two, clear enough cap space to get him and just HOPE things work out??

Instead of bringing in an experienced playoff tested player you suggest we sink our whole wad into a guy with ZERO playoff experience??

I think any Kane trade probably takes place in the offseason because of his salary. The Jets would be seriously limited in who they could trade him to if they did it in season, plus they're in the playoff race and even though Kane's underperforming he's still on roughly a 20-20 pace.

Taking shifts off, getting healthy scratched and doing boneheaded stuff should serve as a red flag to anyone who would want him.

He's living off 1 good year and the pedigree of being a top 5 pick. Thus some foolish team will give up a top six forward, a 1st and a prospect for him ...that team will live to regret it.

This guy makes me sick. He oozes of entitlement attitude. You don't trade that kind of package and simply hope he can turn things around.

Want a player like him? Go pick up Chris Stewart for a fraction of the cost and see him help us sitting in the press box and being a healthy scratch after a few games.

To be fair, he's had 1.5 good years. He was on a 30-30 pace during the lockout year. Last year he missed some time but was on about a 25-25 pace, and he's close to that again this year despite being in the dog house both years (his most common linemates right now are Mark Schiefele and Adam Lowry, last year it was Schiefele and Jokinen, both years he's been juggled around). He's also a possession boost to just about everyone he plays with. He's shown a lot more than Chris Stewart has.

Capitlols

Historic Chokers
Feb 9, 2010
I'd love to add Chris Neil for a playoff, granted 1) He'd waive and 2) Chimera is on the outs.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
The Jets are contending for a playoff spot in the west. Why do they trade Evander Kane right now?

I think the original question was along the lines of "what would it take" so what you said would be part of the consideration. It's morphed into a discussion of why you wouldn't do it, which is not really answering the question.

Anyone have a feel for how much it would take? We can debate the merits of the player forever.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Troy Brouwer seriously grabbed his sack. Let him show his abilities in playoffs.

Also I found that Brouwer doesn't score many points. Maybe his next contract is 4M (and some change probably). He isn't scoring with the same pace Laich was before his big contract. And Brouwer is relatively stable in his 35-40 point range. Not young anymore, no prospects of better pace, right?

Maybe FO will just keep him.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
Troy Brouwer seriously grabbed his sack. Let him show his abilities in playoffs.

Also I found that Brouwer doesn't score many points. Maybe his next contract is 4M (and some change probably). He isn't scoring with the same pace Laich was before his big contract. And Brouwer is relatively stable in his 35-40 point range. Not young anymore, no prospects of better pace, right?

Maybe FO will just keep him.

1 game.

Players get paid for goals. Brouwer should get a long term deal around $5 million.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

the question of giving up on a 23 year old with talent starts with winnepeg and moves on from there.

my contribution to this conversation is that the team that will take the risk on ekane is a team that needs to take that risk. I'd venture that the caps don't need that. is getting kane's head screwed on straight what trotz needs to be concentrating on down the stretch?

who would sign up for trading Burokovsky and a salary dump for Kane?

Stewie G

Needed more hitting!
Oct 19, 2009
Prior to last night's game:

Japers' Rink ‏@JapersRink

Not awesome Troy Brouwer fact: he has one 5v5 shot attempt in the last six games with the score within a goal (~40 minutes TOI)

Also:

B8YT_yyIcAAOX65.png

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
The fourth line is fine. No real need to make that a target. Upgrade over Burakovsky, Hillen or maybe Kuznetsov.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
on a 30-30 pace during the lockout year. Last year he missed some time but was on about a 25-25 pace, and he's close to that again this year despite being in the dog house both years (his most common linemates right now are Mark Schiefele and Adam Lowry, last year it was Schiefele and Jokinen, both years he's been juggled around). He's also a possession boost to just about everyone he plays with. He's shown a lot more than Chris Stewart has.

OK fair enough RE: lockout year.

But really is Kane that much of an upgrade over Brouwer to compensate for the extra cap space, the assets we'd give up and the potential headache it could entail?

Stewart is a .57 ppg player and Kane is a .61 ppg player career wise. I wouldn't say that's ALOT more. Averages to about 3 pts a year more.

I think the original question was along the lines of "what would it take" so what you said would be part of the consideration. It's morphed into a discussion of why you wouldn't do it, which is not really answering the question.

Anyone have a feel for how much it would take? We can debate the merits of the player forever.

I'd say there are lots of desperate teams looking to take a chance on a player with talent like him. I wouldn't agree with them but desperate times can call for desperate measures.

From what I gather it seems like it would require multiple assets including a young roster player. I'd say something like Johansson+1st+bowey/vrana. Something stupid like that.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
GMBM was on 980 this morning with Smokin Al. Missed it due to a job site walk, but I bet it will be in the audio vault soon. He was talking the trade deadline.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
GMBM was on 980 this morning with Smokin Al. Missed it due to a job site walk, but I bet it will be in the audio vault soon. He was talking the trade deadline.

There's audio around, and Prewitt transcripted some of it as well. Didn't really say anything revealing from what I can tell.

From Jill Sorenson, none of Ward, Beagle, or Volpatti have had extension talks yet with the Caps, though Beagle's agent expects to talk before the end of the season.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

I'd say that is very difficult to gauge. Bad attitude leads to bad play leads to stress and strife and a being scratched. That tends to create downward pressure on a player's value. His cap hit only adds to that downward pressure.

This screams off season trade. I suppose another team's change of scenery candidate player makes the most sense.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
There's audio around, and Prewitt transcripted some of it as well. Didn't really say anything revealing from what I can tell.

From Jill Sorenson, none of Ward, Beagle, or Volpatti have had extension talks yet with the Caps, though Beagle's agent expects to talk before the end of the season.

any mention of green or fehr?

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Open market Fehr could very well use Benoit Pouliot as a comparable. Probably won't get quite as much term, but a $4M-ish payday wouldn't be out of the question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad