Speculation: Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap Part LXI ‎(FA sorta-Frenzy 2015) (Ward to SJ)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PB12

Jul 7, 2015
I think with some of our other contracts off the books at that point it shouldn't be a problem as the cap should continue to rise as well. It just depends on how happy he is here, and if he's having success and the team is as well I don't see why he couldn't or wouldn't stay.

I'm looking at GeneralFanager, and I still see guys we got to get under contract. Maybe I'mean overreacting but...
16-17
Wilson
Latta
17-18
Alzner
Oshie
Kuzy
Bura
Lach and maybe Williams leave depending on how good is he still by then.
18-19
Carlson
Vrana and Bowey if they are good.

That is a lot....

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
I'm looking at GeneralFanager, and I still see guys we got to get under contract. Maybe I'mean overreacting but...
16-17
Wilson
Latta
17-18
Alzner
Oshie
Kuzy
Bura
18-19
Carlson

That is a lot....

Wilson and Latta will get very little money.
Alzner will get $4-5M, Oshie probably won't be resigned and replaced with youth or a FA.
Kuznetsov and Burakovsky will get a nice pay, up to $6M each if they perform as expected.
Laich and Williams will leave, replaced with youth or FAs.
Carlson will get a nice raise.
Vrana and Bowey will get bridge contracts.

It's fine, it will all fit, we have some team friendly deals on the team. We might have to ship Orpik and Niskanen out to remain in contention.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
"I want to stay here, I don’t know how many more years." On a summer of change and stasis for Evgeny Kuznetsov: http://t.co/Vb3EVyD9AO

Some good kuznestov quotes here.
says loves it here as does wife

Also says shorter contracts are great as motivation

PB12

Jul 7, 2015
Wilson and Latta will get very little money.
Alzner will get $4-5M, Oshie probably won't be resigned and replaced with youth or a FA.
Kuznetsov and Burakovsky will get a nice pay, up to $6M each if they perform as expected.
Laich and Williams will leave, replaced with youth or FAs.
Carlson will get a nice raise.
Vrana and Bowey will get bridge contracts.

It's fine, it will all fit, we have some team friendly deals on the team. We might have to ship Orpik and Niskanen out to remain in contention.

Thank you. You just answered my main question. So Oshie probably doesn't stay in DC for more than 2 years even if he does good.

PucksInDeep

Oct 1, 2014
Thank you. You just answered my main question. So Oshie probably doesn't stay in DC for more than 2 years even if he does good.

He might but you've got to hope that Ovechkin / Backstrom / Kuznetsov / Burakovsky / Vrana / Wilson are top-6 forwards by then, in which case Oshie is somewhat expendable. And the cap ceiling could change dramatically between now and then, depending on how league revenues do and how the Canadian dollar does.

hitachi

Mar 8, 2006
I think that's really stretching the material breach clause incredibly thin.
To me, it certainly appears like they're much more willing to put up with off-ice behavior issues from players who are still capable of being key contributors. I'd tend to think Occam's Razor points that way as well.

This is pretty much it. Voynov is still good at hockey while Richards is not. Unless it comes out that the Richards thing is a lot worse than the early reporting it's a pretty bad look for the Kings.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto

Well, here's what I think the top 6 will look like in 2 years :

Ovechkin-Backstrom-Burakovsky
Johansson/Vrana-Kuznetsov-Oshie/UFA/Wilson (long shot)

We could bring Oshie back, but we could also find a better fit on the market. If we don't have Mojo in 2 years, we'd definitely bring Oshie back.

MW6

Oct 21, 2011
Halland
16-17
Wilson
Latta
17-18
Alzner
Oshie
Kuzy
Bura
18-19
Carlson

That is a lot....

If the cap continues to rise with 5% for the next 2 years, like the previous 2 (I think). The Capceiling should end up at ~78,7M. So that's 7,3M more + 4,5 from the Brooks Laich contract.

I'd say we have some really nice problems if players up for contract have played at the level where that's not enough!

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
I think that's really stretching the material breach clause incredibly thin.
To me, it certainly appears like they're much more willing to put up with off-ice behavior issues from players who are still capable of being key contributors. I'd tend to think Occam's Razor points that way as well.

I'm not disputing that point. They were in the process of ridding themselves of Richards. He interfered with that which was detrimental to the team.

Stoll and Voynov playing are good for the team. So their misconduct is only detrimental to the team insofar as it keeps them off the ice. If they can play the Kings would be fools to push them away.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
If the cap continues to rise with 5% for the next 2 years, like the previous 2 (I think). The Capceiling should end up at ~78,7M. So that's 7,3M more + 4,5 from the Brooks Laich contract.

I'd say we have some really nice problems if players up for contract have played at the level where that's not enough!

Good point.

So sources of cap space:

1. Cap increases (relative to old salaries)
2. -Laich
3. Either Mojo becomes worthy of ~4M (for example making Oshie redundant), or -Mojo

That could be like 15M.

Balance is now good, so Caps should be fine. Just avoid expensive long term contracts to grinders.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Good point.

So sources of cap space:

1. Cap increases (relative to old salaries)
2. -Laich
3. Either Mojo becomes worthy of ~4M (for example making Oshie redundant), or -Mojo

That could be like 15M.

Balance is now good, so Caps should be fine. Just avoid expensive long term contracts to grinders.

Should've done that a long time ago, grinders are easy to replace and are very common in the league.
Only skill is rare and worthy of a long term commitment from a team.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
If we don't have Mojo in 2 years, we'd definitely bring Oshie back.
Vrana likely replaces Johansson when the time comes. It depends. Williams could still have something left in the tank and be open to staying on the cheap once again. It's really up to Oshie to prove that he needs to stick around beyond the two seasons.

There's also expansion to factor in. Would the Caps lose Orpik's contract in that process? How much of a raise does Kuznetsov get? What will Alzner come in at? Does Orlov elevate his offensive game to pull down more money? Finally, and most importantly, where is the cap by that point? Too many variables to chart that far ahead with a great deal of confidence.

PB12

Jul 7, 2015
Well, here's what I think the top 6 will look like in 2 years :

Ovechkin-Backstrom-Burakovsky
Johansson/Vrana-Kuznetsov-Oshie/UFA/Wilson (long shot)

We could bring Oshie back, but we could also find a better fit on the market. If we don't have Mojo in 2 years, we'd definitely bring Oshie back.

I hope MOJO doesn't come back. He gives me a headache If Oshie does good enough where we would resign him, I would re-sign him for 3 years. You the get him where he i in his prime then you can let him go before he starts to decline.

PB12

Jul 7, 2015
Also in my opinion, Laich isn't getting traded because Trotz loves him.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
GMBM didn't jump the gun on extensions during the season and seems to want to see how things play out. It's WAY, WAY too early to be worried about 2 years from now. He's clearly setting the team up for a 2 year window where he has a team he likes in place, and he can reset some key pieces if necessary.

This is a 3 year plan to take advantage of the Ovechkin Window, expire some legacy contracts, and take the team to the expansion draft. The landscape could be completely different after that, and I don't think there's a single player on the team that will be untouchable once the next reorganization comes about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino