Speculation: Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap/Lines etc. Part LXXXV -- 2017-18 Training Camp/Preseason Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
You don't even need D to win the cup. Example: the pens

Are people still saying that? The Pens D is clearly good, maybe not elite but they can put out 3 soild pairs even with Letang out. Depth counts and the Pens Defense had it big time.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
I'm gonna just guess the answer is a big fat no....

I dunno about that. He needs a passing center, IMO. Eller can make plays. Funny thing is the Caps have four forwards that theoretically can produce a lot of points. 19-8-92-77.

Of those four, Oshie probably needs the most help to get them. So in theory you pair him with one of those other players. You also have a player that should be capable on his own, in Burakovsky. Add in Eller. Now you have 3 slots to fill in top 9. You have Beagle, Vrana, Wilson, and Connely to fill them.

Lots of options. Beagle doesn't have to be the 4C. I wanted him 2LW before. He could still fit into a different role if fully healthy.

Stephenson could do the 4C. There are others as well. So...

65-19-43
13-92-10
8-20-77
25-18/91-83

If Connolly flops, try Beagle, then Barber, then...

Let Nick and Kuz anchor their own lines. Let Ovy and Oshie carry a C. Model is easy to see.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
I've been wanting 3 lines for while

Like last year where we dominated and flamed out in the playoffs again?

I love my team and my players just don't know if the group has what it takes mentally. Breaks my heart to say it but I've felt that way for the past few years.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
Like last year where we dominated and flamed out in the playoffs again?

I love my team and my players just don't know if the group has what it takes mentally. Breaks my heart to say it but I've felt that way for the past few years.

Giving them 2 days to build chemistry vs 2 time cup winning is a tall order.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
THIS.

I propose a local rule to ban that video. :laugh:

61380256.jpg

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
from the nhl

So a goal is scored, the opposing coach challenges the play based on believing the play is offside. Video review confirms the play to be onside, end result will be:
- Good Goal
- Opposing team loses a time out
- Opposing team is penalized for two minutes

A bit harsh with the penalty being added. Of the offside video reviews from last year, what were the percentage where the video upheld the on ice call? I would imagine it would be less than 10%, so why was such a ruling determined to be necessary.

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
THIS.

I propose a local rule to ban that video. :laugh:

my bad, good to see the pain is shared. my dad believes he is the jinx. everytime he left the tv that night and went to the basement the caps scored. he came running back up for the collapse. he got me center ice first row in club level for game 4.

On a side note: we should create a thread that embraces the losing lol. Imagine how many painful videos we could come up with. Top of my head Gonchar turn over to Straka, Flyers player throws Caps D thru huet in game 7 (somehow allowed). It could be pretty interesting as I was a little kid during the massive collapses in the 80s. Although I was there for Lafontaine goal. there is a great video about how bad the caps franchise is on youtube. LMAO everytime it gets to the beginning of the Pens. "Nope you went full Capitals"

Last edited:

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
A thread like that would be a troll magnet. Pass. LOL

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
my bad, good to see the pain is shared. my dad believes he is the jinx. everytime he left the tv that night and went to the basement the caps scored. he came running back up for the collapse. he got me center ice first row in club level for game 4.

On a side note: we should create a thread that embraces the losing lol. Imagine how many painful videos we could come up with. Top of my head Gonchar turn over to Straka, Flyers player throws Caps D thru huet in game 7 (somehow allowed). It could be pretty interesting as I was a little kid during the massive collapses in the 80s. Although I was there for Lafontaine goal. there is a great video about how bad the caps franchise is on youtube. LMAO everytime it gets to the beginning of the Pens. "Nope you went full Capitals"

First video I'd post would be Joel Ward, G5. Next video would be the phantom GI call against the Habs.

BRB need to go vomit.

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
just went back and watched the straka one again, even worse then I remembered. Gonchar should have been removed from the team that night for his buffoonery.

ok end of the glorious memories.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
First video I'd post would be Joel Ward, G5. Next video would be the phantom GI call against the Habs.

BRB need to go vomit.

Nah...The worst is Trottier's tying goal on Mason who's skate had broken in the easter disaster. The Caps history is entirely different if his skate boot doesn't fall apart right then.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
So a goal is scored, the opposing coach challenges the play based on believing the play is offside. Video review confirms the play to be onside, end result will be:
- Good Goal
- Opposing team loses a time out
- Opposing team is penalized for two minutes

A bit harsh with the penalty being added. Of the offside video reviews from last year, what were the percentage where the video upheld the on ice call? I would imagine it would be less than 10%, so why was such a ruling determined to be necessary.

Yea what will make it worse is that if you know the opposition was offsides, replay shows they were offsides, somehow linesman says it is a good goal; you getting a penalty as well as a goal given up because the linesman messed up on their tiny screen

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
You want 3 lines? Go get Duchene. Options out the ars with that guy on the team.

Ovechkin-Kuznetsov-Wilson
Burakovsky-Backstrom-Oshie
Connolly-Duchene-Vrana
Walker-Beagle-Anyone

3 lines that can all score and run with the penguins

we basically had to give away Mojo because we couldn't fit him under the Cap, how the hell can we fit Duchene?

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
You want 3 lines? Go get Duchene. Options out the ars with that guy on the team.

Connolly-Duchene-Vrana
Walker-Beagle-Anyone

Salary cap.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016

Connolly-Duchene-Vrana
Walker-Beagle-Anyone

I too can't wait to trade Burakovsky, Orlov and a 1st round pick for a 40 point center.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
I too can't wait to trade Burakovsky, Orlov and a 1st round pick for a 40 point center.

It's disingenuous to call Duchene a 40 point center, everybody knows he's capable of much more than that. In the reality of the salary cap NHL, trading for him is impossible, alas.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
just went back and watched the straka one again, even worse then I remembered. Gonchar should have been removed from the team that night for his buffoonery.

ok end of the glorious memories.

Goocher's famous puck on the skates? Brutally bad.....yay Caps. :cry:

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I had erased Straka entirely. Had. There are so many bad memories, they all have blended together after the decades. Yet Caps fans remain the best fans in DC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad