Speculation: Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap/Lines etc. Part LXVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Can we keep piling on Laich?

I am convinced Erat was acquired because Laich was injured.

capitalsrock

Sep 7, 2012
I'm sure the Rags had the same sort of thoughts when sending Duclair out for Yandle. Which one do you think they'd rather have now?

You know who was a legit top 6 forward when traded? Martin Erat.

You simply don't trade elite prospects for less than elite players.

Those teams weren't nearly as good as this team. Erat was on the decline, and Yandle has been great for the Rangers, most of their fans would love to resign him but it looks like he doesn't want to be there. He helped the Rags get past us, and to game 7 of the ECF, with 11 pts in 19 games. He gave them a better chance at the cup, but hindsight is 20/20.

tmljeh19*

Reality check. If this team doesn't collapse between now and the playoffs and then fail to win the cup particularly if its less than some epic for the books 7 game battle against LA or Chicago, they will be emotionally destroyed.

If they get booted, they wont be back like this next season. If they choke again, they will be killed. Trotz might resign.

They really must win it this year. Win this year, yea, win again next year I could buy

Pretty much agreed. Last year they could hang their hats on it being Trotz and GMBM year 1 rebuild but if they get bounced before the SC, they stink of it will be awful. The media will eat this team alive.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
Seeing a lot of sentiment on here that you guys want to load up with Ladd but that a guy like Laich would have to come back to make $ work. Here's what I would propose:

Wpg: Ladd & Thorburn Wash: Bowey, 1st, Laich.

This works because Thorburn and Laich are both big but rather unskilled wingers. The difference is that Laich is being paid 4 & 4.5 next. Thorburn has actually earned his keep this year making 1.2 both this year & next, but if we were to take on Laich we can't have two similar type players in the bottom 6. Honestly, I doubt you'd get the Jets to agree with this deal because management loves him so much for his character, but it really is time to cut him adrift.

HunterSThompson

[}=[][][][][]
Jun 19, 2007
Washington, DC
Seeing a lot of sentiment on here that you guys want to load up with Ladd but that a guy like Laich would have to come back to make $ work. Here's what I would propose:

Wpg: Ladd & Thorburn Wash: Bowey, 1st, Laich.

This works because Thorburn and Laich are both big but rather unskilled wingers. The difference is that Laich is being paid 4 & 4.5 next. Thorburn has actually earned his keep this year making 1.2 both this year & next, but if we were to take on Laich we can't have two similar type players in the bottom 6. Honestly, I doubt you'd get the Jets to agree with this deal because management loves him so much for his character, but it really is time to cut him adrift.

Jets would have to retain on Ladd to make the deal work money wise. Caps need less cap money coming back in any trade.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
so now we sit and wait for the move. who is it gonna be as beagle could possibly be back next game

waiving latta or galiev? trading someone?

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
so now we sit and wait for the move. who is it gonna be as beagle could possibly be back next game

waiving latta or galiev? trading someone?

If GMBM is smart, which I have no doubt he is, he flips Galiev for a pick. One less contract, one less player on the roster and Beagle fits in. Latta is easily more valuable than Galiev. Maybe GMBM has another idea that we haven't explored.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
About the #Isles and Andrew Ladd: last I checked price was far too steep for their liking. 1st plus one of their top F prospects. No dice.
9:11am - 25 Feb 16

From the islanders beat writer.

Appears that's the price regardless of laich. Add laich and its gonna be way too much

bur and 666 others

Jun 13, 2012
F..., the Jets probably asked our 1st and Vrana. I really wanna the Caps go deep this year and my insecurity tells me we need to load up like no one's business, but I'm praying we won't lose Vrana. At this point, I'm OK to lose one or even two other our top prospects. Hopefully it will be Barber and the 1st, Latta/Galiev + something and Laich.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Hearing #FlaPanthers cooling on Andrew Ladd because of high price. Word is first round pick, top prospect for what would likely be a rental.
9:57am - 25 Feb 16

From panthers beat writer

Price is gonna have to come down or he is going no where

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
If the Chicago deal (1st + Schmaltz) was/is still true, Winnipeg should have taken that. They are going to hold out and it probably will bite them in the ass when GM's tell them to go screw themselves. Please GMBM stay far away from that.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Ladd would be 8th on the Caps in even strength goals and 7th on the team in points. He has one more point then Jason Chimera and gets a lot more PP TOI then Chimmer. Please don't pay a 1st and big prospect for him unless Laich is going to the other way. Even then I would consider other options first

NoMoreChoking

Sep 30, 2009
Price is way too high for a rental that has scored 8 goals, 16 points in 57 NHL playoff games.

2 of those seasons were he won the Stanley cup in which he scored 2 goals and 3 goals respectively the entire post season

No thanks. Overrated as hell

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Ladd has heated up lately but, yes, I agree.

CY 2016:

Caps Player 1: 22 GP 4-7-11, +4 2-6-8 at ES
Caps Player 2: 22 GP 10-10-20, +6 10-8-18 at ES

I don't know...you tell me which top six player could stand to be upgraded offensively...

Last edited:

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
Ladd would be 8th on the Caps in even strength goals and 7th on the team in points. He has one more point then Jason Chimera and gets a lot more PP TOI then Chimmer. Please don't pay a 1st and big prospect for him unless Laich is going to the other way. Even then I would consider other options first

I would prefer Eriksson over Ladd easily, but then we would have to ship Laich to Toronto or something like that. Then there's the issue of Boston's willingness to trade him within their own conference.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
Ladd has heated up lately but, yes, I agree.

CY 2016:

Caps Player 1: 22 GP 4-7-11, +4 2-6-8 at ES
Caps Player 2: 22 GP 10-10-20, +6 10-8-18 at ES

I don't know...you tell me which top six player could stand to be upgraded offensively...

Is that Caps player driving play or is he a passenger on a line with two of the smartest guys in the league?

I'm not saying it's not working but is it ideal and will it last?

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
Price is way too high for a rental that has scored 8 goals, 16 points in 57 NHL playoff games.

2 of those seasons were he won the Stanley cup in which he scored 2 goals and 3 goals respectively the entire post season

I've posted this previously but the first cup year he was 21 and skating 9 ES minutes/game and in Chicago he was getting about 12 ES minutes per game. And he was still very green. He hasn't had a chance to play an offensive role in his career except for 4 games getting murdered by the Ducks.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Great point Brooksie ;) and I think its not stated enough.

Who is player X playing with, when posting X stats. What is the TOI and PPTOI. Drivers seat (Kuz) or passenger seat (Bura).

As we have seen from forward deadline rentals, dead is the key word when they end up buried on 4 / pressbox. Players do not always work out where coaches put them.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Is that Caps player driving play or is he a passenger on a line with two of the smartest guys in the league?

I'm not saying it's not working but is it ideal and will it last?
Good questions but I think the 19/77 combo is very, very far from ideal to begin with as well. Putting 77 with 92 should be tried since it's been a while. Whatever Trotz has done lately to spark the top six hasn't really worked.

I don't think you can put up those sorts of numbers up as a passenger. 65 also has a slightly higher playoff G/GP ratio despite playing very little minutes. 65's goal last night was pretty much all him. He's capable of that on whatever line he's on whereas 77 hasn't proven lately to be anywhere close to as dangerous individually (nor has he established chemistry). It's not all about offense for Trotz so the numbers are just the numbers I suppose. But if they're really in the market for a top six type then they should probably first exhaust all top six configurations and focus more on peak ability than veteranness or lower-level two-way play.

Regardless of what they do I doubt any move is out there that will be as impactful as 19, 77 and 74 playing at a much higher level than they tend to lately.

strungout

Professional Killer
Jul 1, 2002
North Carolina
Ovie - Kuznetsov - Oshie
Burakovsky - Backstrom - Williams
Chimera - Mojo - Wilson
Laich - Richards/Beagle - Beagle/Richards
Latta/Galiev

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
When I see the price the Jets ask for Ladd, it makes me cool down. I wouldn't give up 1st + Vrana + Laich for Ladd.

Honestly I think we're good to go. Trade Galiev and get a rental bottom 6 player so that we don't have to play scrubs like Sill in the playoffs.

NoMoreChoking

Sep 30, 2009
I've posted this previously but the first cup year he was 21 and skating 9 ES minutes/game and in Chicago he was getting about 12 ES minutes per game. And he was still very green. He hasn't had a chance to play an offensive role in his career except for 4 games getting murdered by the Ducks.

Good points but I still think it's too high of a risk for what try are asking for. I rather have someone else for a different price

We don't need a 2LW that badly

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia

It's natural to overrate deadline players, but Ladd is certainly an upgrade over several Caps and is the ideal playoff addition.

Aside from being a heralded leader...

60 pts last season would have put him 3rd on Caps. Before that he broke 50 pts. 40 pts. 50pts. and 50 pts.

Playing for ****ing Winnipeg/Atlanta.

Those are 2nd line forward, borderline 1st line forward numbers, while surrounded by scrubs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad