Speculation: Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap/Lines etc. Part LXVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
I'd make a move to get Ladd and dump Laich...no problems sticking him on the 4th line w Richards and Beagle until needed elsewhere. Favorites lose the Cup to injuries all the time and I'd prefer them going all in this year and next...draft picks and one of our top three prospects don't mean anything to me since we've never won before.

If we can make it work under the Cap and it's not devastating to the pipeline I say load the **** up and go for it....

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
I would like to move out Laich and get some top 6 forward, this is our best team ever and our best chance at a cup and I don't want to be stopped short by injuries or because LA or Chicago or Pittsburgh or Tampa and so on, made moves while we didn't. Look at all the great teams in the OV era and we still haven't got past the second round, we should know by now the regular season is worthless, no series is going to be easy we need all the help we can get. And it's not like we even need many prospects, we have enough young forward, defense, and goaltending depth anyways.

Last edited:

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
I'd make a move to get Ladd and dump Laich...no problems sticking him on the 4th line w Richards and Beagle until needed elsewhere. Favorites lose the Cup to injuries all the time and I'd prefer them going all in this year and next...draft picks and one of our top three prospects don't mean anything to me since we've never won before.

If we can make it work under the Cap and it's not devastating to the pipeline I say load the **** up and go for it....

So much this.

This team with Ladd would be obnoxiously good, if they aren't already.

Dump Laich and push the chips in!

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA

I think it's blatantly obvious a move is coming, it literally HAS to. The magnitude of that move though I guess is to be seen. I mean realistically it's Laich, Latta or Galiev. However, consider this...does GMBM have the guts to move Majo, selling higher than he's ever been and make a push for Ladd? Moving Beagle back to 3C or possibly Richards there and Beagle to 4C?

That would be crazy. :amazed:

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
I think it's blatantly obvious a move is coming, it literally HAS to. The magnitude of that move though I guess is to be seen. I mean realistically it's Laich, Latta or Galiev. However, consider this...does GMBM have the guts to move Majo, selling higher than he's ever been and make a push for Ladd? Moving Beagle back to 3C or possibly Richards there and Beagle to 4C?

As someone who has wanted to trade Johansson for the past 5 years, I would absolutely not trade Johansson today. Under almost any circumstance.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014

well either latta or laich is scratched tonight. will be interested to see which and if it means anything

Holtbyisms

Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
As someone who has wanted to trade Johansson for the past 5 years, I would absolutely not trade Johansson today. Under almost any circumstance.

Even if it meant the lineup could look like...

Ovi-Kuzy-Williams
Bura-Backy-Oshie
Ladd-Richard/Beagle-Willy
Chimera-Richards/Beagle-Latta

I don't know how I feel about it honestly. I know Ladd is having an off year but would be nice to have him at 3 or 4 LW. Would be quite the luxury. Especially if Bura falters in the playoffs or someone gets hurt (god forbid).

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
The really cool thing is too we basically can do it again next year and potentially add pieces if we can work it in the cap during the offseason :)

Reality check. If this team doesn't collapse between now and the playoffs and then fail to win the cup particularly if its less than some epic for the books 7 game battle against LA or Chicago, they will be emotionally destroyed.

If they get booted, they wont be back like this next season. If they choke again, they will be killed. Trotz might resign.

They really must win it this year. Win this year, yea, win again next year I could buy

Holtbyisms

Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
Reality check. If this team doesn't collapse between now and the playoffs and then fail to win the cup particularly if its less than some epic for the books 7 game battle against LA or Chicago, they will be emotionally destroyed.

If they get booted, they wont be back like this next season. If they choke again, they will be killed. Trotz might resign.

They really must win it this year. Win this year, yea, win again next year I could buy

:laugh:

Dramatic as always Dr. Tex.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Even if it meant the lineup could look like...

Ovi-Kuzy-Williams
Bura-Backy-Oshie
Ladd-Richard/Beagle-Willy
Chimera-Richards/Beagle-Latta

I don't know how I feel about it honestly. I know Ladd is having an off year but would be nice to have him at 3 or 4 LW. Would be quite the luxury. Especially if Bura falters in the playoffs or someone gets hurt (god forbid).

the pp went into a hideous slump when Johansson got hurt. He came back and it started to produce again. He is a very important part of the Caps pp. There is a reason why Kuzy is not on the pp1 instead of 90. This is not the time to be messing with that crew.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
:laugh:

Dramatic as always Dr. Tex.

you don't agree, bro? you thinks if they choke or lose in a heartbreaking fashion that it wont effect them? I watched hockey central today where they talked about how the caps weren't the team to beat. that any team in the east that plays them will think they can beat them with their history. not that they will lose but that the teams playing them wont be afraid of them.

choke again and what? go into the playoffs with the best record in 20 years and what? this is the president's trophy on steroids. they have to win or be laughed at again. where am I wrong?

Holtbyisms

Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
you don't agree, bro? you thinks if they choke or lose in a heartbreaking fashion that it wont effect them?

We've done it before, I do believe a lot of that core is just fine. Just last year we went down in horrible depressing fashion and most of this core was there for it. They're professional athletes.

Also there's absolutely no chance Trotz quits because they get knocked out of the playoffs. There's also no way they fire him for him.

I think both of those statements are way out in left field.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
I think the leadership group is such that this team would just be more driven if they were to lose.

On Johansson, I'd only trade him for a center with term (e.g. Hanzal) at this point of the season.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I am taking this a day at a time. I am not asking for playoff opponents. I am not predicting anything. I want to watch them play and hope they win. That's enough for me.

Good to know you guys and gals have let your guard down.

Enough of this subject. Moving on.

billcook

Apr 17, 2012
I'm the same as you txpd, neither hystery nor hype is doing anything for me right now.

Come what come may.

capitalsrock

Sep 7, 2012
We're not gonna have a better chance at a cup when Vrana, Bowey, and Samsonov are all developed(even if they all turn out as projected) than we do right now. I have absolutely no problem giving up one of the three and our 1st if it gets rid of Laich and gets a legit top 6 forward like Ladd.

Obviously we would rather offer up Carrick or Barber first but in order of who I'd trade first out of the top 3 it's gotta be:

Samsonov
Vrana
Bowey

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
We're not gonna have a better chance at a cup when Vrana, Bowey, and Samsonov are all developed(even if they all turn out as projected) than we do right now. I have absolutely no problem giving up one of the three and our 1st if it gets rid of Laich and gets a legit top 6 forward like Ladd.

Obviously we would rather offer up Carrick or Barber first but in order of who I'd trade first out of the top 3 it's gotta be:

Samsonov
Vrana
Bowey
I'm sure the Rags had the same sort of thoughts when sending Duclair out for Yandle. Which one do you think they'd rather have now?

You know who was a legit top 6 forward when traded? Martin Erat.

You simply don't trade elite prospects for less than elite players.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I think the leadership group is such that this team would just be more driven if they were to lose.
They're unlikely to be this consistent regardless of what happens in the playoffs. As far as their response, it depends on what exactly happens. I could easily see them changing things up at key positions (dealing Oshie for instance) in order to tweak the mix. Or something bigger could be needed, if not this summer then after one more shot. Who knows. We'll see.

It's pointless to run any worst-case scenarios. All management should be concerned about right now is seriously considering whether this roster is good enough for the long haul this year. They're a consistently very good team but are they a great one? Can they handle the Hawks or Kings potentially? Could they still use another piece up front and what does it take to get given the need to offload Laich in the process?

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
I'm sure the Rags had the same sort of thoughts when sending Duclair out for Yandle. Which one do you think they'd rather have now?

You know who was a legit top 6 forward when traded? Martin Erat.

You simply don't trade elite prospects for less than elite players.

I am not disagreeing with the overall point at all but don't give McPhee a shred of credit with Erat. He was on the wrong side of 30, had an extensive injury history and had 7 ESGS in his prior 90 odd games (on my phone so can't confirm exactly). He was done when we got him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad