Speculation: Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap/Lines etc. Part LXIV (A New Hope)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Like button.

I know we have some young talent in the top 6 already but if we can add successful young talent throughout the bottom 6 as well that's going to be great. I mean Ovi, Backstrom, Williams, Oshi, Majo, Laich, Chimmer and Beags are all vets. That means 4 more spots. 33% of your lineup being young doesn't really scream young and inexperienced to me. I'd like to see it actually. I'm not really sold on going for another vet to play on the 3rd or 4th line.

33% isn't a lot of inexperience? Seriously? Cup winning team usually have 1...maybe 2 players that are young and inexperienced. Not 4.

Caps already have Wilson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky. I get people like Milhaus don't see them as inexperienced, but they are. Do any of them have even 150 games played in the NHL? I think Wilson is 149? Mostly as a 5-7min a night grinder?

I don't know. I think the team has 3 young forwards, and I think that's really enough, save injury. Galiev and Latta should be in Hershey. Teams with 5-7 players under 160 games experience in the every day roster don't win anything. Both Schmidt and Orlov haven't played more than 150 games either. Schmidt isn't even 80 games?

Why would the Caps be the first team to win with that roster construction?

Last edited:

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
33% isn't a lot of inexperience? Seriously? Cup winning team usually have 1...maybe 2 players that are young and inexperienced. Not 4.

Caps already have Wilson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky. I get people like Milhaus don't see them as inexperienced, but they are. Do any of them have even 150 games played in the NHL? I think Wilson is 149? Mostly as a 5-7min a night grinder?

I don't know. I think the team has 3 young forwards, and I think that's really enough, save injury. Galiev and Latta should be in Hershey. Teams with 5-7 players under 160 games experience in the every day roster don't win anything. Both Schmidt and Orlov haven't played more than 150 games either. Schmidt isn't even 80 games?

Why would the Caps be the first team to win with that roster construction?

You're listing 3rd pairing defensemen, and only one might be on our healthy roster. And you only listed 1 top 6 forward who will actually have a big impact on this team, a 4th liner and a 3rd liner who haven't really broken out yet won't defer our team that much if they struggle. Galiev won't be anything more than a injury call up, so whatever. So yes many teams have won with some young depth players.

It's not that i don't think they're inexperienced. It's that's I don't think they're anything more than depth players until they prove other wise, the only guy that would hurt us if he struggles is Kuznetsov. Personally I'd like to bring in Tlusty/Boyes/Roy or something because i don't want 2 of Chimera, Laich, or Wilson on our 3rd line. As of right now we have a 4A, 4B situation right now, with no real third line.

Also our defense is top heavy but i'd like to give our new Defensemen a chance. BMGM must have seen something in them to go and get them early in the summer like that.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
For me Kuzya's many KHL seasons plus his full NHL season + playoffs alleviate any concerns I might have with his lack of experience. He's a long-time pro hockey player who has been performing at a high level in probably the second best league in the world for many years.

My only concern about him is his shoulders, and so far they've been fine since he came over.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
last season the caps had 5 top 4 defensemen. most wanted green gone to be replaced by orlov.

its also worth noting that both orlov and Schmidt are more mature than their nhl games played shows. this is not Carrick and Bowey. Orlov should have significantly more games but hasn't because of injury. Schmidt is a college player that is 4 years older than the typical pro rookie.

Same is true of Kuznetsov who cant be compared to an actual kid like Burt nor should Wilson who while young goes back 3 seasons with his debut in the playoffs.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
You're listing 3rd pairing defensemen, and only one might be on our healthy roster. And you only listed 1 top 6 forward who will actually have a big impact on this team, a 4th liner and a 3rd liner who haven't really broken out yet won't defer our team that much if they struggle. Galiev won't be anything more than a injury call up, so whatever. So yes many teams have won with some young depth players.

It's not that i don't think they're inexperienced. It's that's I don't think they're anything more than depth players until they prove other wise, the only guy that would hurt us if he struggles is Kuznetsov. Personally I'd like to bring in Tlusty/Boyes/Roy or something because i don't want 2 of Chimera, Laich, or Wilson on our 3rd line. As of right now we have a 4A, 4B situation right now, with no real third line.

Also our defense is top heavy but i'd like to give our new Defensemen a chance. BMGM must have seen something in them to go and get them early in the summer like that.

Did you even read my original comment, and what I was disputing with my post? Seems not.

I was having a discussion about how many inexperienced players we had, and whether it was a smart move to add Latta and Galiev to an already inexperienced group of 5 (in NHL games, they are inexperienced, whether on line 3/4 or bottom pairing D -- both of which are penciled in to start -- ..who isn't, Schmidt??) which I am not an advocate of. I don't think having 7 inexperienced players if a good idea. Irrespective of their roles. It actually hurts more on the bottom 6, as that's where you hope to have some defensive minded players that understand roles and how to grind it out when it matters, the playoffs. Currently, that's the hole, that I see on this team. And when I mean "hole", I mean in an aspiration to actually win the Cup. It's not a glaring "hole", like in years past, but it is nonetheless a hole in this team. If they could add 1-2 vet forwards, it would potentially eliminate that "hole", right now. Signing vet depth forwards is easier now than during the season, and the prices could NOT be any cheaper as it stands, from an acquisition standpoint (either in $$$ cost, or having to trade).

Frankly, I don't even understand your last comment....what Defenseman did GMBM go and get that deserve a chance to start? Chorney and Stanton?

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Well, all "inexperienced" Caps' guys are different.

As was already stated, Kuz is a long time pro. You can doubt his success as 1C against best defenders (while Backstrom is out) but Kuz is our top-6 C for this window most probably and you have to believe in him further. No problem.

Wilson is bottom-6 guy with some attributes we rely on (heavy game, moment shifting activities). His promotion to the 3rd line is nothing more than club trying to get Tommy more TOI to develop him some at least. If it goes wrong he will be down to 4RW in no time, and he's kinda experienced in that role, and in playoffs too.

Besides that, we got Chimera and Laich who should be able to substitute Wilson as 3rd line forwards if needed. So in regular season Wilson gets his chance to show more and we got backup plan if that primary fails. No problem.

Bura is the guy you try to exploit ELC with. It was already stated (many times) that you need your ELC guys to add for the team to compete for SC. Well, this is it. We identified the best young guy, got him some experience, got him 3rd line position (at minimum) next season, got him good mentors, so we can expect some added value right in time. He will have another 80 games of experience till April.

Latta. This guy is destined to be 13th forward after the deadline. If he's better than that - no problem again. In regular season he will help with heavy stuff too. Win-win.

Orlov. Long time pro. His problem is injury history. If he's healthy - he's 3rd pair Dman at minimum. His got enough experience and talent. No problem.

Schmidt. You can always call Gleason. No problem.
As well as Orlov Schmidt has some potential.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Well, all "inexperienced" Caps' guys are different.

As was already stated, Kuz is a long time pro. You can doubt his success as 1C against best defenders (while Backstrom is out) but Kuz is our top-6 C for this window most probably and you have to believe in him further. No problem.

Wilson is bottom-6 guy with some attributes we rely on (heavy game, moment shifting activities). His promotion to the 3rd line is nothing more than club trying to get Tommy more TOI to develop him some at least. If it goes wrong he will be down to 4RW in no time, and he's kinda experienced in that role, and in playoffs too.

Besides that, we got Chimera and Laich who should be able to substitute Wilson as 3rd line forwards if needed. So in regular season Wilson gets his chance to show more and we got backup plan if that primary fails. No problem.

Bura is the guy you try to exploit ELC with. It was already stated (many times) that you need your ELC guys to add for the team to compete for SC. Well, this is it. We identified the best young guy, got him some experience, got him 3rd line position (at minimum) next season, got him good mentors, so we can expect some added value right in time. He will have another 80 games of experience till April.

Latta. This guy is destined to be 13th forward after the deadline. If he's better than that - no problem again. In regular season he will help with heavy stuff too. Win-win.

Orlov. Long time pro. His problem is injury history. If he's healthy - he's 3rd pair Dman at minimum. His got enough experience and talent. No problem.

Schmidt. You can always call Gleason. No problem.
As well as Orlov Schmidt has some potential.

Sure.

All of which leaves room for one more veteran forward, which has been my point all along. I'd like 2, and send Latta down to Hershey as well.

But that's just me.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
Did you even read my original comment, and what I was disputing with my post? Seems not.

I was having a discussion about how many inexperienced players we had, and whether it was a smart move to add Latta and Galiev to an already inexperienced group of 5 (in NHL games, they are inexperienced, whether on line 3/4 or bottom pairing D -- both of which are penciled in to start -- ..who isn't, Schmidt??) which I am not an advocate of. I don't think having 7 inexperienced players if a good idea. Irrespective of their roles. It actually hurts more on the bottom 6, as that's where you hope to have some defensive minded players that understand roles and how to grind it out when it matters, the playoffs. Currently, that's the hole, that I see on this team. And when I mean "hole", I mean in an aspiration to actually win the Cup. It's not a glaring "hole", like in years past, but it is nonetheless a hole in this team. If they could add 1-2 vet forwards, it would potentially eliminate that "hole", right now. Signing vet depth forwards is easier now than during the season, and the prices could NOT be any cheaper as it stands, from an acquisition standpoint (either in $$$ cost, or having to trade).

Frankly, I don't even understand your last comment....what Defenseman did GMBM go and get that deserve a chance to start? Chorney and Stanton?

As of now Kuznetsov, Burakovsky, Wilson, Latta, and Orlov are likely starters and only 1 guy will actually have a large impact, the rest are depth players. I think Stanton will be given the 6th spot over Schmidt, he had more ice-time last year and played better despite not playing besides a guy making 6 million. I don't mind giving chances to younger guys as long as we're not expecting a lot from them, which we're not.

Besides There's really not much of a problem here without you stretching the definition of inexperiance. Kuznetsov has been in the KHL/NHL since 09-10, Wilson is entering his 3rd NHL season, Orlov has been in the KHL/NHL/AHL since 09-10, and Latta who has the least but is still 24 yrs old. These guys aren't really that inexperianced. We had way more inexperiance last year and it didn't seem to slow us down, in fact the young guys were great come playoff time.

And I agreed about adding one more forward, but there is little to do on defense but just wait and see.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
As of now Kuznetsov, Burakovsky, Wilson, Latta, and Orlov are likely starters and only 1 guy will actually have a large impact, the rest are depth players. I think Stanton will be given the 6th spot over Schmidt, he had more ice-time last year and played better despite not playing besides a guy making 6 million. I don't mind giving chances to younger guys as long as we're not expecting a lot from them, which we're not.

Besides There's really not much of a problem here without you stretching the definition of inexperiance. Kuznetsov has been in the KHL/NHL since 09-10, Wilson is entering his 3rd NHL season, Orlov has been in the KHL/NHL/AHL since 09-10, and Latta who has the least but is still 24 yrs old. These guys aren't really that inexperianced. We had way more inexperiance last year and it didn't seem to slow us down, in fact the young guys were great come playoff time.

And I agreed about adding one more forward, but there is little to do on defense but just wait and see.

Are you saying only 1 of Kuz, Bura, Wilson, Latta, and Orlov will have a large impact?

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
Are you saying only 1 of Kuz, Bura, Wilson, Latta, and Orlov will have a large impact?

No i don't think that will be the case, i just think our roster is built where only 1 of them has a critical spot on the team immediatly, which is Kuz at 2C. Burakovsky, Wilson, and Latta can be shuffled around in the bottom 6, While Orlov, and Schmidt will spend time on the third pairing or lower. The only guy im really worried about dissapointing is Wilson.

PB12

Jul 7, 2015
So Williams got here are few days ago. Now all we need is Oshie.

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO

Uh... yes? What in the world makes you think they would be anything less than solid 3rd pairing defenseman?

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Spoke with Andre Burakovsky, among the returnees today. Sounds like his position will be a fluid situation, but he'll start camp at center.

Per Prewitt

417th

Pacifist Division
Feb 4, 2015
is merely a concept
Kings fan coming to give you yet another pre season scouting report on Williams.

First thing to watch for in JDub is his speed. It is still very deceptive and you wont see him beaten or end up out of position very often if at all. His offensive instincts are elite. The guy just knows where to go and when to get there. His hands have gotten a bit heavier over the past two seasons but that is to be expected. They are still right up there with most of the rest of the talented scoring wingers in the game. (Not a god like Ovie but on par with the next level beneath him which is still very good). His shot accuracy has dropped off a little bit but nothing to be worried about. He still gets them on net and like to elevate his shots more then try to pick the bottom corners.

He never gives up on a play unless he is heading right to the bench. I would say his endurance has dropped off a little over the past two seasons but then he was such an elite high energy guy for us for the first few seasons that even with the drop off he is still right there with any other top 6er in the game.

He takes a hit very well and doesn't china doll on you when one happens. He also keeps his composure when most players would lose there heads. Not saying he won't jump into a scrum but he is a cagy vet type who would rather draw a penalty then get even.

The most important part of his game and what I think people talk about but really don't understand until they get a chance to see him do it is his ability to come up huge when it matters the most. He has alligator blood. Nothing shakes him and when everyone else is gripping their sticks and trying too hard Wiliams just sticks to his game plan and finds the openings. Put the puck on his stick in OT and he will score or set up a perfect pass for someone else to do so. We have seen it so often as Kings fans that I think we just became jaded to the idea but it is still true.

I know that you can look at his age and think he is slowing down or that he might not be the ideal top line wing but give him a couple of months adjusting and you will see that you signed the best free agent available this offseason. He is an absolute difference maker and will be sorely missed on the Kings. He managed 17 goals for us last year and that was a huge accomplishment when you consider the fact that our typically stingy D above all else style of play relied even more heavily than usual on our forwards due to absences and injuries in our D corps.

I am not saying that JDub will be one of your top 3 scoring forwards or that he is even close to being an Ovie or Backstrom type of contributor, only that he will deliver everything that you should expect from him and even a little more. Great pick up and I hope he wins another Con Smythe while playing with you guys. He definitely earned the one he got with us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad