Speculation: Acq./Rost. Bldg./Cap/Lines etc. Part LXIV (A New Hope)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
if the caps don't choke in the final 2 minutes of game 5, glencross goes down in history as a playoff hero. anyway, 98 was all goalie anyway and he was not a deadline pickup.

It was 90% goalie 10% clutch scoring. 4th leading scorer, more than Bondra, Bellows. good memories...

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Adding a $800k salary while subtracting a $575k player shouldn't be a significant season-altering cap buster. Right now I have them with ~$580k in cap space and such a transaction leaves them with ~$355k in space to bank. That's a decent cushion and if they wanted to they could go with a 22 player roster instead of 23. Keeping Stanton over Chorney would free up a bit more.

Perhaps the biggest thing is that I don't like the fit of any of Galiev, Latta or Sill as 12th forward regulars. I'm not sure there's room for any of those types of players at this stage, though admittedly it's hard to tell since we don't really know how the bottom six will fit together anyway. On paper anyway they're all questionable fits given existing options and the potential for various line roles.

They've got a way to go from an execution and possession standpoint to be a powerhouse team. Whether it's a center like Weiss or a winger like Paille or Bergenheim or Moss I'd be looking to improve the forward group a bit and add another versatile veteran. Maybe they're not true impact players but they should be at least reliable and potentially add more of a true two-way game. (Organizationally this is a real issue among their prospects and part of why Stephenson is such an important prospect IMO. If they had more developing options I'd maybe just let it sort itself out internally.)

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
It's a long season. I think there's room for Latta/Galiev.

Would a more established former top-6 guy be a nice addition to the bottom-6? Sure...

Assuming he's got something left....

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Adding a $800k salary while subtracting a $575k player shouldn't be a significant season-altering cap buster. Right now I have them with ~$580k in cap space and such a transaction leaves them with ~$355k in space to bank. That's a decent cushion and if they wanted to they could go with a 22 player roster instead of 23. Keeping Stanton over Chorney would free up a bit more.

Perhaps the biggest thing is that I don't like the fit of any of Galiev, Latta or Sill as 12th forward regulars. I'm not sure there's room for any of those types of players at this stage, though admittedly it's hard to tell since we don't really know how the bottom six will fit together anyway. On paper anyway they're all questionable fits given existing options and the potential for various line roles.

They've got a way to go from an execution and possession standpoint to be a powerhouse team. Whether it's a center like Weiss or a winger like Paille or Bergenheim or Moss I'd be looking to improve the forward group a bit and add another versatile veteran. Maybe they're not true impact players but they should be at least reliable and potentially add more of a true two-way game. (Organizationally this is a real issue among their prospects and part of why Stephenson is such an important prospect IMO. If they had more developing options I'd maybe just let it sort itself out internally.)

I thought with Peters going down, they had more like 1.4m ish. Isn't he still on the roster?

Anyway-- Caps don't need an "impact" forward...just a vet that can be plugged into the bottom 6, knows his role, and helps with chemistry. A strong work ethic/good lockerroom guy is merited. I don't care if 3rd or 4th line, doesn't much matter.

Bob Rouse-- I get your points, but I don't really like trying to mesh that many kids into a lineup tha already has a bunch of new pieces. Vets tend to make less mistakes, and with Wilson, Kuznetsov, Burakovsky, Latta, and maybe Galiev....that's 5 really inexperienced players. I'd say 1-2 too many.

I'd like at least one more vet for the bottom 6. 2 would be terrific, but we don't have the roster slots/cap space for it as presently constructed.

Koized

Oct 8, 2005

Could be more effective this year.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
Vets tend to make less mistakes, and with Wilson, Kuznetsov, Burakovsky, Latta, and maybe Galiev....that's 5 really inexperienced players. I'd say 1-2 too many.

Well the first 3 are legit NHL players in some capacity regardless of where you slot them in IMO. And when the rest of the forward group is healthy that only leaves 1 spot left in the lineup each night.

So while I definitely don't want a young developing player as a regular scratch if that is what the coaching staff decides to do I don't see how the team suffers on the ice as a result of that.

Bottom line: Kuznetsov, Burskowsky, and Wilson ideally should all be somewhere in the top 9. I'm perfectly fine with 1 more young player on the 4th line.

If Wilson can't hold down at least a 3rd line place then I am in agreement though. I'm ok rolling the dice on that though. He needs the opportunity to step up IMO.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
If Wilson can't hold down at least a 3rd line place then I am in agreement though. I'm ok rolling the dice on that though. He needs the opportunity to step up IMO.

last season the line described as 2 was really 3 and 3 was really 2. I expect with a potential 3rd line of Burt at center and Wilson on RW, you may get a lot of 4 with Laich and Chimera getting 3rd line minutes.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Bottom line: Kuznetsov, Burskowsky, and Wilson ideally should all be somewhere in the top 9. I'm perfectly fine with 1 more young player on the 4th line.
The problem there is they'd have to piece together a shutdown line in that case. Wilson isn't likely to be on one and neither of Latta/Galiev would be either. They'd have to situationally alter lines to piece something together. Laich-Beagle-Chimera might have to do but an affinity for grinders that aren't PKers or adept defensive minds is not where the league is headed. Either they develop some of these grinders or the finesse guys into players that can handle tougher defensive minutes or else they're going to have to continue to rely on more costly veterans getting that job done. The later is problematic eventually as Bura/Kuz pull down more coin if they don't consciously thin the scoring line ranks for a cheaper player like Vrana instead.

It's a running theme IMO but they really need to start doing a better job of drafting and developing a greater variety of forwards. It's nice to draft for offensive upside of course when it pays off but outside of that they need to do a better job of realizing safer bets at times and the skill sets and all-around hockey IQ to be a complementary type forward. Pissing away picks doesn't help either but they haven't consistently shown the ability to spot strong versatile forwards either way.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Young, penalty-killing, shutdown forwards are the exception to the rule. There aren't many forwards that can jump into those roles before their later 20s.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Pretty much every contender these days knows how to develop them and/or has them. Kruger with Chicago, Fast with NYR, Paquette/Killorn with TBL are just a few examples. All homegrown mid-to-late picks. Someone like Couturier is rare to pick it up at such a young age but there are quite a few examples lately of teams manufacturing those types of players by their mid-20's. It's not easy and if teams miss on those players maybe they're not NHLers at all but there's something to be said for identifying all-around hockey IQ and systematically refining it. I'm not sure the Caps do either of those things just yet.

In the short-term I think the answer is giving Johansson and Kuznetsov more defensive/PK responsibility and seeing how they handle it. I also think they need to start moving away from relying on Backstrom in those roles in order to free him up more and have his plate a little less full.

Blades of Steel

log off.
Dec 10, 2009
Virginia
for the first time in a long time we have players chomping at the bit to get in the line up, there is no given positions. this is a great problem to have.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
for the first time in a long time we have players chomping at the bit to get in the line up, there is no given positions. this is a great problem to have.

Like button.

I know we have some young talent in the top 6 already but if we can add successful young talent throughout the bottom 6 as well that's going to be great. I mean Ovi, Backstrom, Williams, Oshi, Majo, Laich, Chimmer and Beags are all vets. That means 4 more spots. 33% of your lineup being young doesn't really scream young and inexperienced to me. I'd like to see it actually. I'm not really sold on going for another vet to play on the 3rd or 4th line.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
We also lost a lot of heft along with the vet experience. Tough to play a "heavy" game when the team is going to be a lot smaller. Will be interesting to see how Trotz adjusts.

Holtbyisms

Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
We also lost a lot of heft along with the vet experience. Tough to play a "heavy" game when the team is going to be a lot smaller. Will be interesting to see how Trotz adjusts.

I don't think we really lack in "heavy", for what we lost I think we've added people who can compensate and if Latta becomes a full time player he add plenty to that area too.

Brouwer/Ward/Fehr out
Oshie/Williams/Latta(?) in

Oshie throws about half as many its as Brouwer did, but Brouwers hits were often ineffective as we've all seen.

Williams doesn't throw a ton but he's probably not very far off from Ward I would guess.

Latta will outhit Fehr easily if he's a full time player.

I think we'll be okay for the Trotz style still. :)

Holtbyisms

Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
He was saying he'd be back in Washington on twitter soon. :/

Maybe in some sort of other role? I don't think he's professional quality anymore. John had a couple solid seasons here, he just doesn't have it anymore. Be it injury or whatever.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
I don't think we really lack in "heavy", for what we lost I think we've added people who can compensate and if Latta becomes a full time player he add plenty to that area too.

Brouwer/Ward/Fehr out
Oshie/Williams/Latta(?) in

Oshie throws about half as many its as Brouwer did, but Brouwers hits were often ineffective as we've all seen.

Williams doesn't throw a ton but he's probably not very far off from Ward I would guess.

Latta will outhit Fehr easily if he's a full time player.

I think we'll be okay for the Trotz style still. :)

Hmmm... Maybe so. Orlov will add some hitting to the blue line too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad