Proposal: Acceptable Trouba trade

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Acceptable to me is moving him for any asset rather than lose him for nothing.
Everyone and their dog know Trouba doesn’t want to be here.
Going to be tough for Chevy get anything worth wild when everyone knows he has very little leverage.

Not sure

At the end of the day guys like Duchene and Johansen yielded premium returns out of the ashes of far more toxic circumstances. These situations are dynamic so who knows but Trouba has a year of term, he just turned 25 so he is the ideal age, he is unquestionably a top pairing 200 foot RHD man. I believe there will be a small but vibrant trade market for him.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Pretty well. So what?

Look at what Ekholm had achieved at the time he signed that contract. What do you think Ekholm would get on the open market today?
So why should the other person get to pick the comparables such as Subban and Doughty when everyone thinks Subban is overpaid.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Niku should get powerplay time he'd deliver it into Laine's wheelhouse better than Trouba.

He'll be behind Buff, then Morrissey, then Trouba. He may or may not do a better job than Trouba. That remains to be seen. But he isn't going to get the opportunity to prove it for a few years.

bumblebeeman

Mar 16, 2016
I think Trouba might return more then most of us are thinking. If he really doesn't want to sign in Winnipeg long term, if they can find out where he would sign and that team could be confident that he would sign there (sign and trade) he will have huge value. I'm thinking 1st + young defenseman or center. If only we knew what he was thinking...

Nov 24, 2006
Acceptable to me is moving him for any asset rather than lose him for nothing.
Everyone and their dog know Trouba doesn’t want to be here.
Going to be tough for Chevy get anything worth wild when everyone knows he has very little leverage.
All it really takes for increased leverage is two teams wanting Trouba, and there will be many more than that.

Reactions: KingBogo

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
I think Trouba is fine on PP1 for now. Niku should be on PP2, though.
He's fine, but I agree Niku would be better. His decision making and, uh, "escapeability" would be super valuable. We don't have a single defenseman that knows how to create space for himself as well as Niku.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
All it really takes for increased leverage is two teams wanting Trouba, and there will be many more than that.
Agree. After the season there are going to be a number of teams that are very disappointed in their season, as there always are. A few of them will want to stabilize their D with a big, minute-munching RD like Trouba. The Flyers should be desperate for a D like Trouba. Same with the NYR and Wings. Beyond those teams, the Leafs should be absolutely desperate for a player like Trouba - he's exactly what they need. Big market teams like the Flyers, Wings and NYR don't want to scrape the bottom for very long, and they are all likely going to want to make a move to be competitive for the playoffs next season. Chevy should have a few suitors if he needs to trade Trouba.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
He's fine, but I agree Niku would be better. His decision making and, uh, "escapeability" would be super valuable. We don't have a single defenseman that knows how to create space for himself as well as Niku.
There is an advantage to having a right shot on the point to feed Laine, mainly because he can pull the PK over to his forehand before moving it to Laine.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
There is an advantage to having a right shot on the point to feed Laine, mainly because he can pull the PK over to his forehand before moving it to Laine.
Whenever Niku creates space for himself in the way that I mentioned, and it happens minimum once a game, the other team scrambles to defend and the focus is heavily on him. He's much more capable of taking attention away from Laine than Trouba who is mostly stationary and has 3 decisions, either pass to Laine, shoot, or pass back to Wheeler. How many times has Trouba fed Laine on the powerplay for a goal? 0 that I can remember, so then where exactly is this advantage? How many times has Buff set up Laine on the PP for that matter? I can maybe remember 1, but I'm not entirely sure. vast majority is Wheeler setting him up.

So yeah, in conclusion I'm not seeing this advantage at all.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013

I looked at every goal Laine has scored on the powerplay and exactly 1 was set up by the defender, Buff, and it wasn't when they were set up in the zone. It was a failed clear attempt that Buff had to rush to Wheeler's side to keep it in, then the whipped it across the rink to a wide open Laine. So the number of times that having a right handed D in that spot has set up Laine for a goal is exactly 0.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Catching up on today's Trouba conversation and I must admit I'm slightly more hopeful we re-sign though not kidding myself it would be a real long-shot. 8 X 8 is reasonable IMO 1 year from UFA status after 3 years at a reduced salary due to his current play it out to UFA status strategy.

Most likely we see I trade however and IMO it will be a glorified version of a TD deal on the run up to the draft and maybe on the draft floor. A 1st and grade A prospect. I can live with this depending on the draft position and quality of the prospect.

Fire Chevy

Dec 8, 2017
Winnipeg
I'm calling it right now if Trouba is traded this off-season there will be many teams, who will be looking for a Top pairing RD and I guarantee one team is going to over pay for Trouba's services (Im guessing Buffalo)

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
Toth was saying the exact same thing last year - Trouba was open to playing in non-American markets. - and look what happened. Jets and Trouba failed to come to an agreement and they went to arbitration. I doubt he will sign a multi-year extension here.

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
Still wonder if some sort of "Whilee plan" isn't in the offing. Trouba's return will be "underwhelming", picks/prospects - 1st rounder and an A(+) prospect not quite ready + B prospect. Then one of our forwards will be moved to Carolina/Philly for a solid D (Pesce/Ghost) + pick (1st?)/prospect. Cap is going to make it difficult to keep everyone at forward. Will they sign Hayes? If so he'll eat substantial cap but at least his age is on correct side of 30 and Little becomes a winger perhaps going forward.

Why does the other team always add when we give them D for forwards, and vice versa?

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Why does the other team always add when we give them D for forwards, and vice versa?

Short answer is they don't. It's a valuation thing really. Get someone from the other team in here and they'll tell you the add should be the opposite direction. We're all ballparking offers here, the only people that can really assess value accurately are GMs of actual teams that know what they're willing to part with to gain a particular asset, whether it's Trouba from us, Nylander from the Leafs or anyone else.

I do believe there are people on here that can reasonably accurately guesstimate what returns for particular players should be. I'm not one of them. I just try to absorb what the people I believe are more knowledgeable than I (assessment based off being on the site for years now and seeing/remembering who has better accuracy) put out there and adapt it to my own opinions to try and temper them.

In the above example you quoted from me I didn't list specifics but if I did I would have put something like this:

Trouba returns: 1st rounder (15-20 range), A to A+ prospect that is close to ready for the show (next year in limited or full action and contributing) and B prospect (think Petan like, not necessarily much use but potential or AHL addition).

One of our forwards: I was thinking Connor (from the rationale of cap management) or you can substitute Ehlers to Carolina because they have a decent assortment of RHD (Trouba replacement). Connor should have huge trade value in that he'll be a kid coming off his ELC with a pair of 30 goal seasons. He's not going to be cheap but he is very good and goal scorers are desirable. Doubtful Carolina gives up their #1 RHD so we're getting a 2nd pairing RHD, hopefully someone youngish able to handle 1st pairing minutes with Morrissey as a partner. But that's a lesser return so they add a pick or a prospect we want.

Reactions: Tommigun

Georgetown Al

I’m back...
Aug 8, 2017
Trouba Trade?

Trouba still with the girlfriend/fiancé?

Trouba changed his mind and wants to stay?

Only Trouba knows what Trouba is going to do!

I don’t know anything that’s is true or not so snagle puss exit stage left...

Go :jets Go

fighter-jet-military-plane-animated-gif-18.gif

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad