OT: AC/DC or the Rolling Stones

AC/DC or the Rolling Stones? Who do you prefer?

• AC/DC

Votes: 43 48.9%
  • Rolling Stones

Votes: 45 51.1%

• Total voters

Shaquille Oatmeal

Tier 2 Fan
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2015
Wow...I would have thought exactly the opposite. For what it is worth the Stone's have I believe 4 songs in the top 50 of Rolling Stone's 2004 list of top 500 songs of all-time. ACDC has none. This is just one data point but it is pretty much what I would have expected.
Do we have to pull up the CORSKI stats on AC/DC vs Rolling Stones?

GifMeme 22092022235600.gif

Gunnersaurus Rex

Jan 14, 2008
The Mick Taylor years were the absolute best for the Stones. He is such a virtuoso on guitar. This era was when there was a more traditional separation of lead and rhythm guitars, and allowed for their best sound.

Gunnersaurus Rex

Jan 14, 2008
What do people think of Queen with Adam Lambert. Always been a huge fan of Queen. Freddie was in the running for the GOAT as far as front men, but Adam Lambert is actually very very good in my opinion.
Adam Lambert is alright. He does a good job, but can't replace Freddie. Freddie was an amazing front man and singer.
Having said that, I detest Queen's music.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Adam Lambert is alright. He does a good job, but can't replace Freddie. Freddie was an amazing front man and singer.
Having said that, I detest Queen's music.
U know, I was like that before as well, couldn’t stand Queen music in the 80’s. Then it grew on me and I got a few Queen Live DVD’s and they really grew on me. Something about a concert at Wembley brings out the best in a band. INXS has a live DVD at Wembley as well. Great

My wife loves Metallica!

I also love Def Leppard and Eric Clapton.

And Van Halen

And Bon Jovi
Van Halen were my band in my high school years in the 80’s. We all had our hockey mullets and played a pile of air guitar to Van Halen

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
U know, I was like that before as well, couldn’t stand Queen music in the 80’s. Then it grew on me and I got a few Queen Live DVD’s and they really grew on me. Something about a concert at Wembley brings out the best in a band. INXS has a live DVD at Wembley as well. Great

Van Halen were my band in my high school years in the 80’s. We all had our hockey mullets and played a pile of air guitar to Van Halen
Pictures?

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Random comment but some silly algorithm put Suzanne Vega on my rotation. lol f***!. I can't stand any of her songs and couldn't understand why she ever got released. Now nobody listens to her. She sings in bars now with 15 people in attendance and one is named Luka..

Do I seem like a Suzanne Vega fan. f*** youtube rotation or suggestions. lol

I think when artists like this started appearing out of the muck it was signposts to the end of good music as we know it. Da da da da do do do da da da da. That was a typical Vega song.

I swear if somebody recorded an album of album skips somebody would consider that great art. "oh so imaginative" look at her reimagining what music can be. The best thing since Do re mi......

Last edited:
Reactions: brentashton

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Its always interesting to hear perspectives of different generations. Discussion is one of my favorite things, and the topic of music has always interested me. Thanks to you and others for all these exchanges. A track like Love is Strong got huge airplay on radios and you were hearing it constantly in rotation at the time that they hit Edmonton. For about a year it was on rotation. To me it was the last classic great Stones song but one needs to be familiar with their body of work and R & B and Blues to maybe appreciate the thick grooves of this classic track. You got me rocking is a standard number. Something Stones can rip in 15mins of studio time. Not dissing it. Just that they can rock. They can write songs in their sleep.

Again thats what impresses me about the Stones. They went into all kinds of musical directions, sometimes changed their directions but never forgot who they were either. They had a lot of weird tangents but they were usually interesting as well. Back in the day a Stones release would be a noteworthy event. You would see floor to ceiling posters in all record shops. They were the royalty. The top band on Earth after the Beatles quit. I'm a Zep fan saying that. Zep didn't reach the extent of audience the Stones did. The Stones were able to straddle the pop market too. On the same album you'd have a rocker, a couple divergent songs breaking different territory, couple Blues numbes, a thowback cut. People would spend hours analyzing every new Stones Album. Staying up for hours playing it again and again. With Led Zep and Pink Floyd album lovers did this too.

Whats incredible is a song like Love is Strong could be on Sticky Fingers album and it would fit there. Or vice versa. "Can't you Hear me knocking" never ages and is arguably the best soundtrack song ever used (Blow) Love how they worked that song into the movie.

Those are absolutely filthy guitar licks. Just gold. That was laid down in 71 and it could be last week its so good. It sounds as fresh and cutting edge today as it ever did. If a new band played these licks today they'd be the top act on the planet. Still. Great music doesn't grow old. It just ages well.

I'll never tire of discussing old music and old rockers. Always a good time.

I gave Aftermath and Between the Buttons a whirl this week when I was driving around. The recording quality on the former just isn't great unfortunately (probably would be better in vinyl), but what can you do. Still a fabulous album. Between the Buttons has better sound quality for sure, crazy how back in those days the technology was moving fast enough that albums made a year or two apart could sound quite different depending on what equipment a band could access.

Might give ACDC's Powerage a listen this weekend. An underrated late 70s hard Rock gem. I actually prefer this album to Back in Black. Bon Scott was the man.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Queen in the 70's had more hard rock. Particularly first half of decade. They got steadily worse and worse. I could see somebody not liking a lot of thieir catalog. Even the wembley show I have to do numerous song skips. I end up listening to maybe 10 tracks. The rockers.

Trouble for bands like Queen in 80's and 90's is they had completely lost their edge. At that point they were just putting out material. Its kind of a music industry joke that bands sell more albums on name alone when they're run out of material. Happens to all. I mean PF River is just lost. The river goes nowhere. Its basically cut lost riffs from assorted albums that Gilmour and somebody frankensteined together. If my skip button ever doesn't work on the remote and I have to listen to Its a Kind a magic or I want to break free I'm yanking the power... Something about the 80's and 90's softened the big bands. I think it kind of killed rock alltogether.

Queen Rock Montreal is a better DVD without all the pop filler. I don't have to skip many tracks on that one. ;) It more captures Queen at a time before all the syrup hit.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Random comment but some silly algorithm put Suzanne Vega on my rotation. lol f***!. I can't stand any of her songs and couldn't understand why she ever got released. Now nobody listens to her. She sings in bars now with 15 people in attendance and one is named Luka..

Do I seem like a Suzanne Vega fan. f*** youtube rotation or suggestions. lol

I think when artists like this started appearing out of the muck it was signposts to the end of good music as we know it. Da da da da do do do da da da da. That was a typical Vega song.

I swear if somebody recorded an album of album skips somebody would consider that great art. "oh so imaginative" look at her reimagining what music can be. The best thing since Do re mi......
I bet you hate Luca Sbisa too! 😉

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I bet you hate Luca Sbisa too! 😉
He's so vain he thought the song is about him. I don't know what the song is about. Suzanne Vega mumbling ear worm nightmares. She was the Rick Rolll of the time. If you heard one of her *songs* anywhere, which was everywhere, you were helpless.

Hell for me would be Vega singing Toms Diner to eternity. oh my lord, I'll do anything, make it stop. ;)

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Queen in the 70's had more hard rock. Particularly first half of decade. They got steadily worse and worse. I could see somebody not liking a lot of thieir catalog. Even the wembley show I have to do numerous song skips. I end up listening to maybe 10 tracks. The rockers.

Trouble for bands like Queen in 80's and 90's is they had completely lost their edge. At that point they were just putting out material. Its kind of a music industry joke that bands sell more albums on name alone when they're run out of material. Happens to all. I mean PF River is just lost. The river goes nowhere. Its basically cut lost riffs from assorted albums that Gilmour and somebody frankensteined together. If my skip button ever doesn't work on the remote and I have to listen to Its a Kind a magic or I want to break free I'm yanking the power... Something about the 80's and 90's softened the big bands. I think it kind of killed rock alltogether.

Queen Rock Montreal is a better DVD without all the pop filler. I don't have to skip many tracks on that one. ;) It more captures Queen at a time before all the syrup hit.
When u listen to music from the 70’s, those bands knew how to make music. Some tunes were stories, some were episodes, but bottom line, it was great music. I’m old enough to remember the wide legs and bell bottoms.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
When u listen to music from the 70’s, those bands knew how to make music. Some tunes were stories, some were episodes, but bottom line, it was great music. I’m old enough to remember the wide legs and bell bottoms.
You might remember those clothing fads but I heard that @Drivesaitl still has a plaid, fortrel leisure suit in his downstairs closet that he breaks out every so often. Tee hee…

grego

Jan 12, 2005
Saskatchewan
It is not uncommon for the best bands to have a first album or two as their best work. It often was what they worked on in the small clubs for years and put out as a first album or two.

It often had less studio changes and less producer input. As they get later you have more srudo and record demands to boost sales. Creating more formulaic music.

It also seems like once bands hit the road a lot many of them spend less time creating new music on their own all the time

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
You might remember those clothing fads but I heard that @Drivesaitl still has a plaid, fortrel leisure suit in his downstairs closet that he breaks out every so often. Tee hee…

I have the Queen Montreal. Dandy

Attachments

• EF59FE76-0EB9-439D-92FE-F99697968308.jpeg
    EF59FE76-0EB9-439D-92FE-F99697968308.jpeg
    27 KB · Views: 0

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan

Hahaha, that is awesome. We need pictures

Reactions: Oilers in NS

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
You picture me in a suit? haha. I have one, decades old, it isn't that and probably doesn't even fit. I sure don't break it out. I don't even know what dressed to me means anymore. I've always been this way.

Mom: Its picture day in school, you have to wear something nice.

Me: What this beer T shirt ain't good enough, its my picture. heh.

I do have some dress shirts and pants that I never wear. Tell tale signs are dust on shoulders...

you got me rockin ;)

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
You picture me in a suit? haha. I have one, decades old, it isn't that and probably doesn't even fit. I sure don't break it out. I don't even know what dressed to me means anymore. I've always been this way.

Mom: Its picture day in school, you have to wear something nice.

Me: What this beer T shirt ain't good enough, its my picture. heh.

I do have some dress shirts and pants that I never wear. Tell tale signs are dust on shoulders...

you got me rockin ;)
I wish you had that plaid suit. We could rock a split together. Would be a deadly Picture

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad