OT: AC/DC or the Rolling Stones

AC/DC or the Rolling Stones? Who do you prefer?

• AC/DC

Votes: 43 48.9%
  • Rolling Stones

Votes: 45 51.1%

• Total voters

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
In his defense, unless your name is Freddy Mercury, it isn't about how well you sing Bohemian Rhapsody, its that you gave your best effort. Ha ha ha.
They are ripping him apart on Fox and other networks

They'll never make a Saint of Me either but my wife has told me for a long time that eventually myself and my buddies will have to grow up. So far not so good.

My "big 6" for my entire lifetime has been:

Beatles
Stones
The Who
CCR
Doors
Led Zeppelin

-with honorable mention to the Kinks, the Animals and the Zombies.

-Also, for people who don't know the Stones all that well--the best stuff that any of the Stones generated after the 1980's (IMHO) was Mick Jagger's "Wandering Spirit" solo album. 14 tracks and not one weak one to be found. It is sometimes called "the best Stones album that never was."
I like your music. All good bands u have listed
Weird Scenes Inside the Gold Mine. Great album

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Again thats what impresses me about the Stones. They went into all kinds of musical directions, sometimes changed their directions but never forgot who they were either. They had a lot of weird tangents but they were usually interesting as well. Back in the day a Stones release would be a noteworthy event. You would see floor to ceiling posters in all record shops. They were the royalty. The top band on Earth after the Beatles quit. I'm a Zep fan saying that. Zep didn't reach the extent of audience the Stones did. The Stones were able to straddle the pop market too. On the same album you'd have a rocker, a couple divergent songs breaking different territory, couple Blues numbes, a thowback cut. People would spend hours analyzing every new Stones Album. Staying up for hours playing it again and again. With Led Zep and Pink Floyd album lovers did this too.
I think Keith Richards had a lot to do with the wide range of musical influences. If you have not read it, his autobiography is a great read.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I think Keith Richards had a lot to do with the wide range of musical influences. If you have not read it, his autobiography is a great read.
Thanks for the recommendation. eons ago I read "Up and down with the Rolling Stones" which was interesting enough but not even capturing recent decades.

Is the Keith Richards book an authorized autobiography and directly involving Keith.?I assume it is, just checking. I don't care for unauthorized biographies or even ghost written ones. More interesting if the topic is directly involved.

Keith seems to me to be an amazing character and incredibly talented musician. He seems to be such a student of music. There were several in the UK that were like that. I guess we'll never see that kind of studious time in music again.

Artists of today don't even borrow tracks so much as just completely copy the song. I mean actually lifting the complete audio. Heard two "newer" songs this week that were completely lifting the original track. One was an overdub of Tina Weymouths "Genius of love" that was complete plagiarism. They just sung over the track. Another was a rip off of a Pretenders tune. They just substitue the audio channel. I could do that...

I don't mind artists being derivative and reworking something. That is respecting the art. but completely lifting multiple track recordings and just adding a couple audio channels to it and calling it your own is plagiarism. jmo.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
One of these is not like the other. ;)

Just curious if you like the Peter Green blues oriented Fleetwood Mac as well before they joined with Nicks-Buckingham. Those are interesting albums with good tracks. Nicks-Buckingham could song write too. it was probably bad for a lot of other bands when the two sides met, joined, and made a contemporary rock monster band in the 70's.

One of my fave live Mac songs is "Oh well" performed live. Song goes way back. Blew my mind in 1980. Was nice they were doing a number of older tracks and putting them into their solid set. Could tell how much the band enjoys some of the older catalog. I would too if I was an artist.
I liked Bob Welch as well but I strongly believe Fleetwood Mac is best with Buckingham, Nicks, McVie’s. Lots of turmoil in the band in the 70’s but the bottom line is they could write and play music. Rumours is one of the best albums of all time IMO

He “something” alright.

Keeping with the Rolling Stone theme, life in Canada would be so different if his dad was Mick instead of Fidel. ;)
We gotta be careful here. They report us to Admin when we talk politics. I think he is in charge of it

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
They'll never make a Saint of Me either but my wife has told me for a long time that eventually myself and my buddies will have to grow up. So far not so good.

My "big 6" for my entire lifetime has been:

Beatles
Stones
The Who
CCR
Doors
Led Zeppelin

-with honorable mention to the Kinks, the Animals and the Zombies.

-Also, for people who don't know the Stones all that well--the best stuff that any of the Stones generated after the 1980's (IMHO) was Mick Jagger's "Wandering Spirit" solo album. 14 tracks and not one weak one to be found. It is sometimes called "the best Stones album that never was."
U mentioned old Stones tunes. I really liked Brian Jones. Such a shame he died.
I go to my buddies place on Wednesdays and they jam. Fella introduced me to this version of Play With Fire. I really like it. I play a little harmonica and piano. I’m no good but I try

Reactions: Drivesaitl

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
They are ripping him apart on Fox and other networks

I like your music. All good bands u have listed
Weird Scenes Inside the Gold Mine. Great album
Okay, this is the last time I will defend him, because I don't like him either, but 1) Fox is literally the worst network in the English speaking world. Pure propoganda. If they say something is bad, I start to question where the good is. Just pure drivel. 2) Politicians often get ripped apart when they show any personality at all. I don't really think it should be a big deal if he sang a song in public, even if he did it poorly. Let's save the criticism of him for when it is warranted. His politics. Complaining about the personal life stuff about politicians just masks the poor job they are doing. There are so many more important things to rag on the guy for.

End rant. :)

Reactions: Gunnersaurus Rex

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Thanks for the recommendation. eons ago I read "Up and down with the Rolling Stones" which was interesting enough but not even capturing recent decades.

Is the Keith Richards book an authorized autobiography and directly involving Keith.?I assume it is, just checking. I don't care for unauthorized biographies or even ghost written ones. More interesting if the topic is directly involved.

Keith seems to me to be an amazing character and incredibly talented musician. He seems to be such a student of music. There were several in the UK that were like that. I guess we'll never see that kind of studious time in music again.

Artists of today don't even borrow tracks so much as just completely copy the song. I mean actually lifting the complete audio. Heard two "newer" songs this week that were completely lifting the original track. One was an overdub of Tina Weymouths "Genius of love" that was complete plagiarism. They just sung over the track. Another was a rip off of a Pretenders tune. They just substitue the audio channel. I could do that...

I don't mind artists being derivative and reworking something. That is respecting the art. but completely lifting multiple track recordings and just adding a couple audio channels to it and calling it your own is plagiarism. jmo.
Richards wrote the book with James Fox. But it reads like it is his voice.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Okay, this is the last time I will defend him, because I don't like him either, but 1) Fox is literally the worst network in the English speaking world. Pure propoganda. If they say something is bad, I start to question where the good is. Just pure drivel. 2) Politicians often get ripped apart when they show any personality at all. I don't really think it should be a big deal if he sang a song in public, even if he did it poorly. Let's save the criticism of him for when it is warranted. His politics. Complaining about the personal life stuff about politicians just masks the poor job they are doing. There are so many more important things to rag on the guy for.

I listen to Less Nessman. After all, he has won the Ohio News Buckeye, Copper Cob, and Silver Sow Awards. Less is in the know

Reactions: ManofSteel55

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
That was a great read. The guy is very smart and at least through the ghost writer who assisted, he came off as quite lucid in his take on various subjects. I agree,if at all a Stones fan, read this one. (PS, it’s a big read, you can prop doors open with it).

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
U mentioned old Stones tunes. I really liked Brian Jones. Such a shame he died.
I go to my buddies place on Wednesdays and they jam. Fella introduced me to this version of Play With Fire. I really like it. I play a little harmonica and piano. I’m no good but I try

"Play With Fire" is one of their most underrated classics. It's from the Brian Jones era and is similar in terms of royal darkness to "Lady Jane"--another almost forgotten gem.

Play with Fire is simply Keith on an acoustic guitar playing a simple G-D-G-C-E chord progression that is hauntingly beautiful. Try it on a 12 string for added effect.

It sounds like Keith and Mick simply sitting around the fireplace in some English castle late at night to just knock one off. I don't think that Brian played on this one but he was dominant wrt Lady Jane.

Yes, when Jones left they changed sounds with Mick Taylor in the 2nd guitar spot and that early sort of mystic sound disappeared. Taylor was also much underrated in terms of his influence with the band.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005

Zero likes. He’s a shmuck. Talking about his weasel personality and embarrassing public gaffes/scandals in no way detracts from his incompetence on the job. In truth one is just a manifestation of the other.

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
Since I've seen musical inspirations for the Rolling Stones.

I'd like to add, arguably the biggest influence on AC/DC was Chuck Berry.

He was Angus' childhood idol, and he along with the rest of the band took a lot of aspects of Berry's stage presence and interactions with the crowd and finding ways to push the envelope for their time

You ever see their performances from their early years?? Every venue AC/DC performed in, they would turn it into a mad house.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Since I've seen musical inspirations for the Rolling Stones.

I'd like to add, arguably the biggest influence on AC/DC was Chuck Berry.

He was Angus' childhood idol, and he along with the rest of the band took a lot of aspects of Berry's stage presence and interactions with the crowd and finding ways to push the envelope for their time

You ever see their performances from their early years?? Every venue AC/DC performed in, they would turn it into a mad house.
Several pages ago I said that AC/DC were Chuck Berry on steroids' with a thousand Marshall amps.

Speaking of Chuck Berry I once didn't see him as he failed to show up on time for a gig at Rock cirkus hee in Edmonton in 81. He was supposed to be one of the openers but intentionally arrived late so that he could go on as one of the headliners. I guess the promoters told him where to go and he just went back to the airport. Was apparently the biggest douche about everything. He figured he was Elvis Presley and everybody should kiss his ass. Back to AC/DC they have a great recording at the Apollo in Glascow Scotland, I think it was 77.

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017

"Play With Fire" is one of their most underrated classics. It's from the Brian Jones era and is similar in terms of royal darkness to "Lady Jane"--another almost forgotten gem.

Play with Fire is simply Keith on an acoustic guitar playing a simple G-D-G-C-E chord progression that is hauntingly beautiful. Try it on a 12 string for added effect.

It sounds like Keith and Mick simply sitting around the fireplace in some English castle late at night to just knock one off. I don't think that Brian played on this one but he was dominant wrt Lady Jane.

Yes, when Jones left they changed sounds with Mick Taylor in the 2nd guitar spot and that early sort of mystic sound disappeared. Taylor was also much underrated in terms of his influence with the band.

I read before that Taylor's drug problems got the best of him. He must have been doing a pile because at that time, they all were. Regardless, he was a great guitarist. He came on in a big way, a few days after Jones death to a concert of @250,000 people at Hyde Park.
I can't play guitar anymore. I was involved in an accident in 04 at a sawmill in NS. Severed my middle finger and ring finger. Middle one is fused back on but it prevents me from making chords. Its a piss off but life went on. I'll have to list a few of my personal favs from the Stones and list them here to see if u agree. Good talking to a Stones fanatic. After all they are "THE WORLDS GREATEST ROCK N ROLL BAND".

Reactions: brentashton

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Several pages ago I said that AC/DC were Chuck Berry on steroids' with a thousand Marshall amps.

Speaking of Chuck Berry I once didn't see him as he failed to show up on time for a gig at Rock cirkus hee in Edmonton in 81. He was supposed to be one of the openers but intentionally arrived late so that he could go on as one of the headliners. I guess the promoters told him where to go and he just went back to the airport. Was apparently the biggest douche about everything. He figured he was Elvis Presley and everybody should kiss his ass. Back to AC/DC they have a great recording at the Apollo in Glascow Scotland, I think it was 77.
I got a funny Chuck Berry story for ya. I was watching an interview with Keith Richards once and a bunch of famous musicians were gonna jam somewhere. Keith was in awe because he was gonna get to jam with Chuck Berry. Keith seen Chuck's guitar there and went over and picked it up to have a whirl. Chuck seen this and punched Keith Richards in the face giving a black eye

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
I got a funny Chuck Berry story for ya. I was watching an interview with Keith Richards once and a bunch of famous musicians were gonna jam somewhere. Keith was in awe because he was gonna get to jam with Chuck Berry. Keith seen Chuck's guitar there and went over and picked it up to have a whirl. Chuck seen this and punched Keith Richards in the face giving a black eye
Guitars are like wives. You don’t “fiddle” with someone else’s without asking!

• Wow

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Guitars are like wives. You don’t “fiddle” with someone else’s without asking!
Thats what Chuckie thought

1663863526462.png

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

Wonder who's girlfriend this song was written for?;)

One of my favourite Stones tunes is this old Robert Johnson tune. Love's in Vain. When they performed it live, Mick Taylor was a god on stage.

Another fave is the cheeky country "The Girl with the Far Away Eyes".

One of my favourite lines from that song is, "Well, I thought she'd run off with the nearest truck driver she could find"
I think that was meant for Yukon.:laugh:

Last edited:
Reactions: brentashton

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
What do people think of Queen with Adam Lambert. Always been a huge fan of Queen. Freddie was in the running for the GOAT as far as front men, but Adam Lambert is actually very very good in my opinion.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
What do people think of Queen with Adam Lambert. Always been a huge fan of Queen. Freddie was in the running for the GOAT as far as front men, but Adam Lambert is actually very very good in my opinion.
Didn't care for it. Nobody is a match for Mercury. People kept saying well, Lambert can sing, but he ain't Freddy Mercury. Like I said I saw Queen at Kinsmen Field House when is was 15. WITH Freddy Mercury and it was the Sheer Heart Attack tour and when they really hard rockers and before they went a different way with day at the races, night at the opera, on the beach in Cannes and that sort of stuff...;)

Freddy was the consummate showman. To me the best front man. Which is saying something. Live he was in his element and communicated and connected with the audience like few others. Plant would be 2nd, just for how he was on stage. These were peacocks strutting. You know they loved the stage. Mick Jagger I can't put in there because so many people just tolerated his voice.

Hinting that I liked Queen MOST as a hard rock band. Which is very much unlike how most people like them. So to go to a Queen show now you're diving through all the radio gaga stuff and getting maybe one Hammer to Fall or Now I'm Here. So Its not just Lambert, its what Queen became even before Mercury passed and sadly what they became after.

Queen is a classic case of most people get on the ride after the band sold out. jmo. I did like them up to about The Game LP. If I ever hear "Its a kind of magic I feel like I have to wash my ears out with a good dose of Stone Cold Crazy. heh

But I'm wrong, my taste is off, and the world loved Queen for a longtime after I did. They went Pop. With Lambert it just serviced more of that pop sound. At least it wasn't Adam Levine. We can all be thankful...

I'm liking this thread for being a jump on all purpose musical discussion. Its nice to share notes on something other than hockey.

Last edited:
Reactions: Perfect_Drug

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012

One of my favourite Stones tunes is this old Robert Johnson tune. Love's in Vain. When they performed it live, Mick Taylor was a god on stage.

One of my favourite lines from that song is, "Well, I thought she'd run off with the nearest truck driver she could find"

It had to be Anita--who else? She was scarier than Mick and Keith combined. She could just as easily have sang the song to them.

Reactions: Stoneman89

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018

I m not a country fan per se but Girl With the Far Away Eyes and Wild Horses are two of my favourites. And like you said, a very cheeky song and delivery on the lyrics.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad