Abundance of play makers ?

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
Totally forgot about johnson, not sold on kapanen being more of a scorer, we also have krostelev I guess
And nylander could transition easily into a shooter
But he's still pass first guy

Kapanen's first NHL goal was one that had to be reviewed, since it was in and out so fast.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
hes standing a few feet from the net, it was a good shot but im not sure hes a shooter
but to be fair i dont know much about kapanen

Purity*

Jan 29, 2010
Playmaker/Goalscorer or dual-threat?

Marner and Nylander are definitely dual-threats. Both have great playmaking skills and an excellent shot. Kapanen could also be considered one.

What would you consider a player like Getzlaf or Kopitar? Both guys have wicked shots yet prefer to use their playmaking skills. They are both dual-threats in my book (though Kopitar definitely needs to shoot more :laugh:)

exporta

Jul 30, 2005
I watched a lot of Marner this year with the Knights, you are mistaken if you are labeling him just a play maker. Kinda akin to saying Kessel wasn't a play maker. He's probably the type of guy that if hit 70 points would be 30g/40a.

He can also set up guys to score easy goals. Super stoked we got him, had him #3 on my list.

Kitchen

Sep 23, 2013
Toronto
A successful team needs a power play that can operate at 85%. This is where a true sniper is needed. I do not see any of our prospects developing into pure snipers.

i think you must have meant to say 25% (and even that is high) on pp because that would be a ridiculously good pp at 85% considering the best powerplay last year was washington with 25% with the next closest being detroit at 23%. And i agree, i dont see any of our prospects developing into pure snipers but i dont think marner or nylander will struggle at all in that area, they see the ice very well and are able to both set up and score goals themselves. nylander scored 14 goals and 18 assists with the marlies last year and kapanen scored 11 goals with 10 assists in finland. this tells me that they are both very capable of putting the puck in the net themselves. but in terms of an elite sniper, dont worry stamkos will solve that problem for us ;).

and people saying that goal scorers are easy to come by, what are you talking about!? fewer and fewer goals are being scored in the nhl every year. why do you think goal scorers are so coveted? Malkin, Crosby, Kane, and carter all scored under 30 goals last year. lets compare the top 5 goal scorers: Ovechkin (53), Stamkos (43), Nash (42), Taveres (38) and Seguin (37) to the top 5 players in assists: Backstrom (60), Voracek (59), Crosby (56), D. Sedin (56), and H. Sedin (55). I think everyone would agree that the goal scorers are more elite.

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto
When you start classifying skilled players like the prospects listed as either a goal scorer or a playmaker is foolish.

Same thing when people use to classify Kessel as only a goal scorer.

WillieKnees

Jul 30, 2015
Canada
No, I dont think I will.

Finding a short term UFA 20-25 goal man isnt that hard. MacArthur. Raymond, etc.

These guys are around.

Regardless, im still not concerned. Its far easier for a playmaker to score goals then a sniper to suddenly become a playmaker.

I agree with this post, I also don't think we can judge these kids yet on what they are or aren't going to be.

Watching Marner and Nylander I can confidently say they can both make plays and score I wouldn't peg either as a pure playmaker at all.

Lots of teams score by committee anyways, you don't have to have that Ovechkin/Kessel type player to be successful.

My early indications tell me Kapanen will be a shoot first type player.

Babcocks Marner

It's a magical time
Mar 3, 2015
Toronto
Just about all of our top prospects can put the puck in the net. I have no worries about snipers.

Even our 2 best play makers from last draft (IMO), Marner, and Bracco, still put up over 80 goals between them.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
KK is no sniper.

He is a dispy-doodler with the puck, can carry can skate to get himself into position.
Without the puck, he tends to get lost in the play, so he can get to a prime shooting spot.
More sneaky and deceptive without the puck.

Reddaye

Nov 1, 2011
New Brunswick
The bigger concern to me is our lack of a blue chip bonafide #1 defensive prospect than not having a "sniper" or two in the pool. It's not like just because some of these guys can pass the puck that they won't be able to score goals as well.

I'm sure these things will be sorted out through drafting, and/or trading moving forward.

Duke16

Apr 14, 2015
Ontario
The bigger concern to me is our lack of a blue chip bonafide #1 defensive prospect than not having a "sniper" or two in the pool. It's not like just because some of these guys can pass the puck that they won't be able to score goals as well.

I'm sure these things will be sorted out through drafting, and/or trading moving forward.

#Chychrun2016, there's also Chad Krys, Sean Day, Kale Clague, Olli Juolevi, Dante Fabbro, Jake Bean, Charles McAvoy, Ryan Lindgren, Luke Green, Max Lajoie as other excellent D prospects for the next draft.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Most playmakers make plays because they choose to make plays for teammates to finish. Playmakers don't make plays because they can't finish.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA

Gauthier?

PJJ

Jun 26, 2015
GTA
Why does this even matter.. Nylander and Marner both have top tier shots

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
Is Johnson going to play in NA this year? I remember that he signed a contract a few months ago buy missed any news since.

Trainspotter

May 28, 2013
There are a number of reasons this isn't a problem.

1. A great playmaker can make a good scorer out of a mediocre player with a decent shot willing to go to tough areas to get their shot off. "Makes other players better".

2. Playmaking relies heavily on hockey sense and skill. Great playmakers have the ability to see the play unfold, find a hole in the defense and the skill to get the puck to the right place at the right time. Players like that can easily learn to put themselves in the right positions to be on the receiving end of those plays. As a comparison, both Datsyuk and Zetterberg would be considered primarily playmakers. But both have always scored their share of goals because they know where to be and when.

3. Organisational depth of a certain kind can always be moved for depth of another kind. There is no shortage of guys with size, with big shots, or with the willingness to put their bodies on the line. If we need those types of players the team can trade from a position of strength because skill is highly valued.

4. The current state of hockey is such that there is increasing need for players who can play with the puck on their sticks and move it quickly and intelligently. The organisation has recently hired a coach and a GM known for their emphasis on puck control and defense. A team of highly skilled players can play keep-away for large portions of the game, minimizing opposition scoring chances and maximizing offensive possession time.

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
Trigger men are easy to find. Its the playmakers which are the issue.

No, I dont think I will.

Finding a short term UFA 20-25 goal man isnt that hard. MacArthur. Raymond, etc.

These guys are around.

Regardless, im still not concerned. Its far easier for a playmaker to score goals then a sniper to suddenly become a playmaker.

I don't quite agree with you. At the end of the day, its not a big deal because we're in rebuilding mode... but I think its just as important to have (and difficult to find) good scorers as it is to have good play-makers...

Does anyone remember back before the Burke/Kessel era? I'm talking about the team with Blake, Antropov, Ponikorovsky, etc.... If I recall correctly, It was a huge struggle win games because we COULDN'T score or find goal scorers.... Once Burke came in, he brought in guys that could put the puck in the back of the net (Kessel, Lupul, MacArthur, Vertseeg, Van Reimsdyk etc....).

Maybe I'm miss remembering, but there was a point where Leafs fans were begging for goal scorers.... Now with Kessel gone, I hope that it doesn't get to that point again.

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
Defenseman, not defensive forward.

Although with 2 NHL seasons under his belt he isn't considered a prospect anymore, Rielly is just as young if not younger than a lot of the guys talked about in this thread. I agree though, it would be nice to have another guy in the system with top pairing potential, specifically a RHD.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad