Abundance of play makers ?

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
Was thinking lately how most of our better prospects are pass first kind of players in marner, nylander, brown, timashov, kapanen? Ect...Not that it's a problem really but who are our shoot first kind of players? I know some of our guys can adjust but still we should be looking for some snipers and defenseman(preferably RHD) in the upcoming 2016 draft

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site
Was thinking lately how most of our better prospects are pass first kind of players in marner, nylander, brown, timashov, kapanen? Ect...Not that it's a problem really but who are our shoot first kind of players? I know some of our guys can adjust but still we should be looking for some snipers and defenseman(preferably RHD) in the upcoming 2016 draft

Kapanen and A.Johnson are shoot first snipers

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Dubas did say "you can always trade small and skill for size" when you need, and so also having similar style prospects could result in transactions also bringing in different type players in the future using them as currency in trades as that same theory could apply here.

Shwaguy*

I wouldn't be surprised if Nylander is just as much a sniper as he is a playmaker.

A. Johnson is a snipeshow with a wicked One timer. Wouldn't be surprised to see him getting more goals than assists if he turns out a as a top 6 winger

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
After a season without Kessel and Lupul, I think you'll come to the opposite conclusion.

No, I dont think I will.

Finding a short term UFA 20-25 goal man isnt that hard. MacArthur. Raymond, etc.

These guys are around.

Regardless, im still not concerned. Its far easier for a playmaker to score goals then a sniper to suddenly become a playmaker.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
Totally forgot about johnson, not sold on kapanen being more of a scorer, we also have krostelev I guess
And nylander could transition easily into a shooter
But he's still pass first guy

JMilne*

Last summer they said nylander was a past first guy , and they were really pushing / trying to make him "a more selfish player , with a shoot first mentality , because he has the shot to do it" i think he will be a shoot first player if they keep pushing him in that direction. but your right thats how i feel as well lots of play makers not as many snipers

MastuhNinks

Apr 30, 2011
The Iron Throne
I don't really see too many playmakers as much of a problem. Too many shooters can be a problem but a team full of playmakers will give opposing defenders fits regardless, I mean you don't have to be a sniper to be able to finish a nice play and most NHL caliber players can shoot the puck.

Plus as others have alluded to we have guys like Nylander who maybe is seen as a pass first guy but also has a wicked shot.

Alexanderthe89

Apr 29, 2011
I wouldn't call him a sniper but I think you could characterize Brown as a finisher. Seems to have a knack for getting open at the right time.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
Good points guys, and like I said i was just thinking about it
But yeah who knows what will happen at the nhl level some of these guys might step up and have more of a shoot first mentality

keon

Nov 9, 2002
Visit site
I like the Old NHL style of line make-up. One winger is a Power-Forward, the opposite winger is a sniper, and the center is the playmaker. A classic example was Clark Gillis-Bryan Trottier-Mike Bossy. A similar Toronto line was Roberts-Sundin-Mogilny. I feel that Marner and Nylander will be two future play making centers. I wish JVR was a Power Forward, but to me he is more of a tall skilled play making winger with average sniping ability. Lupul without the injuries would be a Power Forward. Kessel was a true sniper (with a dis-interest in playing with any defensive accountability). Panik may develop into a second line Power Forward. Toronto needs to develop or trade for or draft a true sniper for the power play. A successful team needs a power play that can operate between 20-25%. This is where a true sniper is needed. I do not see any of our prospects developing into pure snipers. The rebuild will take a few years and a sniper will have to be acquired or developed.

With the focus in the NHL going to skill and speed, Power Forwards may become a rarity. Top two lines may become built around a play making center, a sniper, and a winger that is a combination of both skills and is more defensively responsible. With the focus on speed and skill, smaller skilled forwards in the Top Six will be more common. Larger skilled forwards will still be preferred but there will be more room for smaller players. The bottom six will be the area for larger defensively responsible grinders. It has been mentioned by another respected poster that Babcock likes to have at least one defensive responsible player on every line.

To me Patrick Kane is primarily a sniper and also a play making winger. Mitch Marner could be a Patrick Kane or a Claude Giroux.

Last edited:

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I think it's just about having a higher hockey IQ - If you're in a position to shoot then you shoot the puck. I think Marner and Nylander have this. The other good about these guys is that they are offensive catalysts, they make players around them better. We don't have a lot of those.

RyanOhReally

Jan 21, 2015
Georgetown, ON
All I can say is watch Andreas Johnson set up in the slot. He makes magic with his one timer. Whether that'll translate to the AHL/NHL has yet to be seen.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Marner is definitely shoot first type, just watch him on a 2V1. Don't get me wrong though, excellent playmaker too.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
All I can say is watch Andreas Johnson set up in the slot. He makes magic with his one timer. Whether that'll translate to the AHL/NHL has yet to be seen.

Yep, he finds that magical Brett Hull/Steven Stamkos spot on the PP and just lets 'er rip.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad