Confirmed with Link: Abeltshauser to STL for pick

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Disappointing in that I liked him. But, we also should be aware of the general overrating of one's prospects that goes around on this board, and overall, the general overrating of prospects on HFboards.

Would not surprise me if he asked for a trade...

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Players under contract & not on one way deals:

LD - Mueller, Ryan, Stollery

RD - Tennyson, DeMelo, Bergman

Isn't that more than enough?

If you look at the NHL:

Vlasic, Burns, Dillon, Braun, Irwin...plus perhaps a UFA D-man, and a #7 guy. Optimistically, you will have one NHL spot for the 6 guys you listed above.

On top of that, you have Fedun and possibly McNally. There are only so many spots.

ChompChomp

Can't wait for Sharks hockey to return someday
Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX

If you look at the NHL:

Vlasic, Burns, Dillon, Braun, Irwin...plus perhaps a UFA D-man, and a #7 guy. Optimistically, you will have one NHL spot for the 6 guys you listed above.

You believe they are going to bring Irwin back?

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013

If you look at the NHL:

On top of that, you have Fedun and possibly McNally. There are only so many spots.

It also means we have ZERO dmen signed that are still in Junior. Roy will help that, but it's time to restock that pipeline, and guys like Vanier won't get it done.

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
You believe they are going to bring Irwin back?

I don't think so. Tennyson is the #7, Dillon-Burns is the 2nd pairing, Vlasic-Braun can be the 1st pairing, but ideally Braun anchors the 3rd pairing. They need to sign a #6 guy and a top-4 D-man.

The Ice Hockey Dude

Ack! Thbbft!
Jul 18, 2003
Lost in the SW!
I would speculate that he asked out of the organization and the sharks found him a new home or his agent do so.. why?

again, i'd speculate that, 1) he was not getting along with / disagreed with the AHL coaching staff, 2) did not like his ice time / pairing partners at the AHL, 3) did not like his ECHL assignment, 4) thought he should have been an NHL call up for some games, yet did not get one and others did...

there you go..

i don't miss him as he appears to be a project player at this time, perhaps we have better prospects ahead of him also...

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
People were fine with dumping Freddie Hamilton and he had actually made it to the nhl.

If scoring 0 points in 12 games while putting up abysmal advanced stats numbers and a 14% GF is "making the NHL" then I question your talent evaluation. He was a warm body and did not belong.

Plus the guy we got back in the Hamilton trade could actually play in the NHL.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
goodidea.jpg

Trading a 7th round pick for a defensive prospect

0.jpg

Trading a defensive prospect for a 7th round pick

The-End-Good-Idea-Bad-Idea.png

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
We basically traded Abeltshauser for McNally. Not directly or anything but dman for a 7th, a 7th for a dman

knu

Feb 28, 2012
Fremont CA
Im not devastated by losing him as much as the thinning pool. Not an immediate concern but....Defense getting thin~

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I've come to the conclusion that he must have asked for a trade. The org was clearly never going to give him a real shot even in the AHL, so he asked to be moved.

Anyone following the situation closely, is McNally gonna sign?

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
If scoring 0 points in 12 games while putting up abysmal advanced stats numbers and a 14% GF is "making the NHL" then I question your talent evaluation. He was a warm body and did not belong.

Plus the guy we got back in the Hamilton trade could actually play in the NHL.

I think you misunderstood what you quoted.

There is a difference between "making it to" the NHL and "making it in" the NHL. The post you quoted simply said he made it to the NHL, nothing about any success in the NHL.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
It also means we have ZERO dmen signed that are still in Junior. Roy will help that, but it's time to restock that pipeline, and guys like Vanier won't get it done.

Yeah, but teams typically don't "sign" players and then keep them in junior. A first-round pick, or a highly-touted 2nd-year-pick, might get a contract right from the gate or in their draft year +1, and then get a year in the CHL before coming over to the NHL roster, but otherwise teams will wait until they "have" to to sign a prospect.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
Have no reference on this kid. Never saw him play except the prospects tourney. One thing I think is that we need to hit on an undrafted FA a la karlsson. But I agree that the pipeline is barren in juniors.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Have no reference on this kid. Never saw him play except the prospects tourney. One thing I think is that we need to hit on an undrafted FA a la karlsson. But I agree that the pipeline is barren in juniors.

Burns, Vlasic, Braun, and Dillon are a very young core. There is at least 5 years with that core. Heck, the often-theorized prime for defenseman is post-29, and those guys are all entering that phase.

Where are the holes for those prospects to fill? The Sharks already have Mueller and Roy as potential top-pairing D-men, and there are numerous players like Bergman, McNally, Ryan, DeMelo, etc. with legitimate NHL potential (and I know at least one scout who considers Bergman > Mueller). There is only so much space on the roster.

I think the issues are much more severe up front. Thornton and Marleau only have so much left in them. Statistically, Pavelski should be leaving his prime years. Hertl and Couture are the only core pieces...and in the prospect pool, only Goldoblin and Tierney are the only real blue-chip prospects, and soft ones at that.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
Burns, Vlasic, Braun, and Dillon are a very young core. There is at least 5 years with that core. Heck, the often-theorized prime for defenseman is post-29, and those guys are all entering that phase.

Where are the holes for those prospects to fill? The Sharks already have Mueller and Roy as potential top-pairing D-men, and there are numerous players like Bergman, McNally, Ryan, DeMelo, etc. with legitimate NHL potential (and I know at least one scout who considers Bergman > Mueller). There is only so much space on the roster.

I think the issues are much more severe up front. Thornton and Marleau only have so much left in them. Statistically, Pavelski should be leaving his prime years. Hertl and Couture are the only core pieces...and in the prospect pool, only Goldoblin and Tierney are the only real blue-chip prospects, and soft ones at that.

And Meier, you forget about him already? ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad