San Jose, CA
goodidea.jpg

Trading a 7th round pick for a defensive prospect

0.jpg

Trading a defensive prospect for a 7th round pick

The-End-Good-Idea-Bad-Idea.png

:clap:

whlscowt

The org's basically going to get a free pass at a smaller/better version of Applesaucer in Cavan Fitzgerald. Both of them came through the Mooseheads ranks, and having watched Fitzgerald a bit this year, I think he's got more potential simply because he plays smart with the puck despite being offensively charged. It sucks to lose a prospect, but I think (at least from what I've seen) the more he played pro, and the less he grew, the less the organization saw him in its future. He's another one of those big dmen in this team's history, with great size, and great tools, but no toolbox.

Levie

Mar 15, 2011
DW is done with those lousy Germans. Time for the future: Latvians.

SactoShark

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
May 1, 2009
Sacramento
People were fine with dumping Freddie Hamilton and he had actually made it to the nhl.

That's not a good comparison, but you probably know that. The competition and depth for their respective roles were night and day.

Just to be clear, my pitchfork is still at bay. Applesaucer obviously did not have the organization's attention. I just find the decision abrupt considering his age, position and roster depth.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
I've come to the conclusion that he must have asked for a trade. The org was clearly never going to give him a real shot even in the AHL, so he asked to be moved.

This was my thought as well. Being almost 23, and essentially will when the next season starts up, he's in danger of becoming a perennial AHL. He likely wants to move to avoid becoming that.

alex716

Jan 10, 2014
Why do you guys even care? He's a 22 year old who was barely AHL ready. You're probably right that he's still got a shot at making it, but at best he might turn out like Demers or Irwin. Not a huge loss. Prospects like him grow on trees. It's better to give a young guy a chance.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Why do you guys even care? He's a 22 year old who was barely AHL ready. You're probably right that he's still got a shot at making it, but at best he might turn out like Demers or Irwin. Not a huge loss. Prospects like him grow on trees. It's better to give a young guy a chance.

Everybody knows he was unlikely to crack the lineup, he was just one of our more promising prospects for awhile. That's more a testament of how bad the pool was but he was looking like a pretty good defenseman even last year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad