News Article: Abdelkader Signs With EV Zug (National League)

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
If i couldnt play in the nhl id 100% be in europe , i dont get why ppl play in the ahl for a dozen yrs
Because it pays better than a desk job? Lashoff and McIlrath both make $275k playing for GR. they probably couldn't get that salary in the SHL. The Swiss league pays better but they have a limit on foreign players, and those 2 aren;t good enough for the KHL.

Plus some people don't like to live in a foreign country, especially with 50% tax rates and what not.

AHL vets do OK, sure they aren't making millions but they aren't suffering like failed prospects. guys who love the game will play at whatever level they can, my college neighbor wound up playing in the ECHL. A desk job would be easier.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Because it pays better than a desk job? Lashoff and McIlrath both make $275k playing for GR. they probably couldn't get that salary in the SHL. The Swiss league pays better but they have a limit on foreign players, and those 2 aren;t good enough for the KHL.

Plus some people don't like to live in a foreign country, especially with 50% tax rates and what not.

AHL vets do OK, sure they aren't making millions but they aren't suffering like failed prospects. guys who love the game will play at whatever level they can, my college neighbor wound up playing in the ECHL. A desk job would be easier.
I honestly didn't know the AHL paid vets that much. That's certainly nothing to sneeze at for getting to play a game you love.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
How much is this after tax, car, insurance and appartement?

Salary in european leagues, and you get a car, insurance and appartement on top, play lesser games and if you re smart enough can learn another language.
Projected Player Salaries 2020 – 2021 – 2112HockeyAgency.com
Keep in mind their tax rates are significantly higher, and in the US you can actually buy a house instead of having to live in an apartment like Europe. 2 years salary buys a decent house in GR for them.

I'm sure they've done the math. Keep in mind there's usually only 5 or 6 spots for AHL vets on a team (only 5 can dress in a game), so these are actually coveted spots for players not good enough for the NHL.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I honestly didn't know the AHL paid vets that much. That's certainly nothing to sneeze at for getting to play a game you love.
They're actually on 2 way contracts, paid by the Wings. McIlrath and Lashoff are basically paid to provide stability to GR's defense. Hicketts only gets $115k, no idea what the GR signings get, but I'm sure it's less.

The numbers for the guys with Wings contracts are available on Capfriendly.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

raymond23

Go Griffs Go
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
Reactions: RabidBadger

1878rgw

Jun 29, 2017
Keep in mind their tax rates are significantly higher, and in the US you can actually buy a house instead of having to live in an apartment like Europe. 2 years salary buys a decent house in GR for them.

I'm sure they've done the math. Keep in mind there's usually only 5 or 6 spots for AHL vets on a team (only 5 can dress in a game), so these are actually coveted spots for players not good enough for the NHL.

Suisse will have 7 spots next year, DEL still have 9 spots, in Sweden is no regulation for imports

I can't believe making 275k in the US and paying everything by your own is safing you more money than making f.e. 150k netto in Europe + the named AI package. There is no tax to pay for the players, the clubs pay for them in the most countries as you can see in the link.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017

Just to add to that, when they are called up (even if its just for a few games), they get a massive bump in salary for that week or so., as a result what they make ends up being a bit more then that. This is why I think teams like to give some of these guys a few games here and there.

pz29

Jun 18, 2015

The "high tax" argument is slightly misleading. I am an American living in Norway, a "high tax" country. I am not a professional athlete-millionaire, so my vantage point is a bit different, but here is my take on the whole high-tax situation. In the US, I was in a 24-26% tax bracket. On top of that, I still had to pay for healthcare (both insurance premiums and co-pays), life insurance, retirement, college savings for my kids, etc. In Norway, my effective tax rate is 33%, but that covers all those expenses: healthcare is, basically, free, college is free, and for my kids to play sports here costs a fraction of what is cost me in the US because sports clubs here do not exist to make a profit off of you and are heavily subsidized by the government because it is in their culture and policy that as many people as possible should have access to sports and outdoor recreation. The only difference is real estate here is insanely expensive, so we have to rent for now to get enough of a down payment (generally 20% required), and with a median house price of close to 1 mil. US, that takes a while. Overall, though, I end up with about the same amount of money in my pocket as I did in the US, maybe even more.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
The "high tax" argument is slightly misleading. I am an American living in Norway, a "high tax" country. I am not a professional athlete-millionaire, so my vantage point is a bit different, but here is my take on the whole high-tax situation. In the US, I was in a 24-26% tax bracket. On top of that, I still had to pay for healthcare (both insurance premiums and co-pays), life insurance, retirement, college savings for my kids, etc. In Norway, my effective tax rate is 33%, but that covers all those expenses: healthcare is, basically, free, college is free, and for my kids to play sports here costs a fraction of what is cost me in the US because sports clubs here do not exist to make a profit off of you and are heavily subsidized by the government because it is in their culture and policy that as many people as possible should have access to sports and outdoor recreation. The only difference is real estate here is insanely expensive, so we have to rent for now to get enough of a down payment (generally 20% required), and with a median house price of close to 1 mil. US, that takes a while. Overall, though, I end up with about the same amount of money in my pocket as I did in the US, maybe even more.
That depends on if you own a house....

I bought my house for $270k 6 years ago, Redfin has it at $470 now. Redfin is fairly accurate (+/- $10k) in my neighborhood.

I'm sure Lashoff has a nice McMansion somewhere that's probably doubled in price by now. Having been called up so many times, CapFriendly has his career earnings at $3.8M. Hard to get that in Europe.

As a side note, I've always liked Lashoff. He's a tweener, he knows it, doesn't make a fuss, goes about playing wherever he's asked. Glad he's made some money off the game. He's a quality emergency callup for any team, as long as you expect zero offense, lol.

Reactions: kliq

pz29

Jun 18, 2015
That depends on if you own a house....

I bought my house for $270k 6 years ago, Redfin has it at $470 now. Redfin is fairly accurate (+/- $10k) in my neighborhood.

I'm sure Lashoff has a nice McMansion somewhere that's probably doubled in price by now. Having been called up so many times, CapFriendly has his career earnings at $3.8M. Hard to get that in Europe.

As a side note, I've always liked Lashoff. He's a tweener, he knows it, doesn't make a fuss, goes about playing wherever he's asked. Glad he's made some money off the game. He's a quality emergency callup for any team, as long as you expect zero offense, lol.
yes, still own two houses in the US, so that is true.

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
Suisse will have 7 spots next year, DEL still have 9 spots, in Sweden is no regulation for imports

I can't believe making 275k in the US and paying everything by your own is safing you more money than making f.e. 150k netto in Europe + the named AI package. There is no tax to pay for the players, the clubs pay for them in the most countries as you can see in the link.

An American player playing in Europe still has to pay taxes in America. There is an offset against what they pay in taxes where they are working though. So if they are responsible for paying 80k in tax in the U.S. and they pay 60k overseas they still need to pay 20k in the States. It is more nuanced than that but you get the gist.

And are the Euro teams paying the tax out of the player earning so they player doesn’t have to deal with it? Or are they paying it on top of the player salary? If it is on top, the IRS will probably consider that taxable income and that will add to their U.S. tax bill at the end of the year.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA

But I do wish him well and hope he does well overseas!
Yeah, he's too slow for the NHL. Playing on bigger ice will show that even more.

Been saying it since last season, he's done in the NHL. Not sure why people keep thinking he's gonna play in the NHL again when he just got bought out by the worst team ever in the salary cap era. He was the shittiest skater on the shittiest team in 2 decades. (I'd give Howie the honor of the shittiest player though.)

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
Yeah, he's too slow for the NHL. Playing on bigger ice will show that even more.

Been saying it since last season, he's done in the NHL. Not sure why people keep thinking he's gonna play in the NHL again when he just got bought out by the worst team ever in the salary cap era. He was the shittiest skater on the shittiest team in 2 decades. (I'd give Howie the honor of the shittiest player though.)

Yeah I'm trying to imagine from his perspective why he would do that. Why go across the world when you can just retire, chill at home for a little bit and then figure out your non-playing life? In addition to the fact that he loves playing hockey, I think the reality is that if he wants to ever have the slightest chance of coming back onto an NHL team, he has to keep playing somewhere.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Yeah I'm trying to imagine from his perspective why he would do that. Why go across the world when you can just retire, chill at home for a little bit and then figure out your non-playing life? In addition to the fact that he loves playing hockey, I think the reality is that if he wants to ever have the slightest chance of coming back onto an NHL team, he has to keep playing somewhere.

Swiss guys are well paid and it is a beautiful country. One of the best leagues in the world, in my opinion the fourth best in Europe. Plus he gets to play hockey while the team pays for his apartment, car and most of his expenses. The Swiss league is a pretty good gig, making hundreds of thousands of dollars to play hockey is still a pretty good way to make a living if his body really can at this point.

This is more common than I think most know, a lot of guys end their careers with one or multiple years overseas. One of the things that jumps out when I am streaming European games is how many ex-NHL or known prospects you come across.

Last edited:
Reactions: FabricDetails

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
Why go across the world when you can just retire, chill at home for a little bit and then figure out your non-playing life?
Believe it or not, a lot of people would love to "go across the world". It's a lot of fun. You should try it.

If I can spend half of my retirement in Europe I'll consider my life a great success.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Believe it or not, a lot of people would love to "go across the world". It's a lot of fun. You should try it.

If I can spend half of my retirement in Europe I'll consider my life a great success.
That's where I'm at. He's only 33 years old. What an incredible experience for him and his family to live in Switzerland for a few years and he gets to play the sport he loves.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Swiss guys are well paid and it is a beautiful country. One of the best leagues in the world, in my opinion the fourth best in Europe. Plus he gets to play hockey while the team pays for his apartment, car and most of his expenses. The Swiss league is a pretty good gig, making hundreds of thousands of dollars to play hockey is still a pretty good way to make a living if his body really can at this point.

This is more common than I think most know, a lot of guys end their careers with one or multiple years overseas. One of the things that jumps out when I am streaming European games is how many ex-NHL or known prospects you come across.
Probably couldn't figure out anything else to do with his life. Couple hundred k's is still good money even if he is making a mil/year from the buyout. I'm guessing he wasn't making much money selling children's books, lol.

1878rgw

Jun 29, 2017
And are the Euro teams paying the tax out of the player earning so they player doesn’t have to deal with it?

Thats the way it works, but you will always receive net. salary.

In Europe you usually pay your taxes in the country were you live for 181 days a year.

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI
Thats the way it works, but you will always receive net. salary.

In Europe you usually pay your taxes in the country were you live for 181 days a year.

So a player makes $250k and the tax rate (fictional) is 33%. The club just pays the tax for them and the player doesn't have to file a return? i.3. 250,000*.33= 82,500. So the player receives 250,000-82,500 = 167500?

Or the player makes $250k salary and takes home $250k and the club pays the govt the $82,500?

1878rgw

Jun 29, 2017
So a player makes $250k and the tax rate (fictional) is 33%. The club just pays the tax for them and the player doesn't have to file a return? i.3. 250,000*.33= 82,500. So the player receives 250,000-82,500 = 167500?

This part is right, but as a foreigner who has no idea about the taxes in the country you say "I want 167500" and don't care about the rest.

I do the same in my normal job not living in my home country, so I know at the end of the month I have xxx on my bank account.
For example
3000 brutto is around 2050 netto, the 950 between is 410 income tax and 540 social insurance (health care, unemployment care, retirement care).
The employer has to pay his employer share which is 950, so the total salary costs per month are 3950 for the company.

In some countries you still get 14 salaries a year, called X-mas and holiday money because you get a double at the end of November and June.

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida

As someone who wants to retire in Budapest, many European cities blow North American cities out of the water in terms of saftey, cost of living, women, and sense of community/walkability.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad