Abbotsford Heat set franchise record for consecutive wins

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
With their win Wednesday night over the Texas Stars tonight the Abbotsford Heat set a new franchise record for consecutive win with their 8th win in a row. :handclap:

HansH

Unwelcome Spectre
Feb 2, 2005
San Diego
www.mib.org
They're also setting records for low attendance -- their numbers are nearly 60% off from this point last year. That'll likely change a little after US Thanksgiving weekend, because Utica is in town for two, and the Canucks' farm team always seriously increases the Abbotsford attendance numbers. Still, they're drawing worse than every other AHL team, 21 of 22 ECHL teams (only ahead of Wheeling), 8 of 10 CHL teams (only ahead of St. Charles and Denver), and 8 of 10 SPHL teams (only ahead of Lousiana and the Mississippi Riverkings).

Are any of the city officials who negotiated the lease or voted on it still in office? If so, WHY haven't the voters voted them out for the lease's horrid terms?

go_leafs_go02

Apr 24, 2004
London, ON
Canucks almost moved their affiliate there last year, fell through last minute due to time running out. It's pretty much a reality that the Heat won't exist in Abbotsford in 2 years max.

I believe the Utica deal is 2 years only for the Canucks. Not 100% sure, but I see Utica as temporary only, and that Abbotsford will be the home for the Canucks affiliate within two years.

Heat for some reason or another have slashed a large # of their promotions. Last season most Friday games were $2 beer/$1 hot dog games. Don't see any indication of that this year. And trust me, that got a lot of people out to the games.

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY
Canucks almost moved their affiliate there last year, fell through last minute due to time running out. It's pretty much a reality that the Heat won't exist in Abbotsford in 2 years max.

I believe the Utica deal is 2 years only for the Canucks. Not 100% sure, but I see Utica as temporary only, and that Abbotsford will be the home for the Canucks affiliate within two years.

Heat for some reason or another have slashed a large # of their promotions. Last season most Friday games were $2 beer/$1 hot dog games. Don't see any indication of that this year. And trust me, that got a lot of people out to the games.

The Utica agreement with Vancouver is for 6 years but of course there are out clauses where the Canucks would pay a penalty for leaving early.

I don't understand why Utica has to play the Heat 12 times. If they can't support the team without extra games against the baby Canucks just move the team. The Comets play a team on the other side of the continent 12 times but we only play Syracuse just 50 miles away 4 times.

go_leafs_go02

Apr 24, 2004
London, ON
The Utica agreement with Vancouver is for 6 years but of course there are out clauses where the Canucks would pay a penalty for leaving early.

I don't understand why Utica has to play the Heat 12 times. If they can't support the team without extra games against the baby Canucks just move the team. The Comets play a team on the other side of the continent 12 times but we only play Syracuse just 50 miles away 4 times.
Do you have a reference to the 6-year agreement? I've never seen it stated and rumours I had heard was that it was 1-2 years in length only.

Tommy Hawk

May 27, 2006

It didn't fall through due to time running out, it fell through because the Canucks wanted money and did not want to pay the Flames to leave town. Flames get a huge guarantee from the city so why leave for a worse deal?

Cnaucks tried to get Peoria to pay the same deal Abbotsford was giving the Flames. "Give me 1.5 mil a year and we will stay in Peoria." Peoria, who is smarter than Abbotsford and Glendale AZ, told them to go screw themselves.

Then came Utica.

Do you have a reference to the 6-year agreement? I've never seen it stated and rumours I had heard was that it was 1-2 years in length only.

I thought when it was announced it was a 2 year deal as well.

EDIT: There were links in the original announcement post but nothing definitive on the length of thee deal. Esche indicates 6 years but also says he does not want to correct details for fear of jeopardizing the deal which means it was not signed at the time he was yappin. Yapping Esche

Welcome to the AHL! ;)

AHL sucks for scheduling. Rochester is coming to Chicago for the first time in what, 4 years? When was the last time we saw an Eastern Conference team besides when we won the cup? 7 years?

Last edited:

UticaHockey

Feb 27, 2013
Utica, NY

go_leafs_go02

Apr 24, 2004
London, ON

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
After their 9 game winning streak ended, the Heat have won 4 in a row again. So that makes 13 wins in 14 nights.

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC

It's gone. Heat representative called me, asked if I had any interest on coming out to any games this year. Said not unless they bring back $2 beer/$1 hot dog games. Rep said that was scrapped this year. She wouldn't elaborate as to why it was gone, but it sounded like I wasn't the first person to complain about it.

With an average of 2191, bringing it back might not be a bad idea in the new year.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
It's gone. Heat representative called me, asked if I had any interest on coming out to any games this year. Said not unless they bring back $2 beer/$1 hot dog games. Rep said that was scrapped this year. She wouldn't elaborate as to why it was gone, but it sounded like I wasn't the first person to complain about it.

With an average of 2191, bringing it back might not be a bad idea in the new year.
I was reading some comments about this and from what I understand it was not the Heat's choice to slash the $2 beer promotion, it was the city.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Were they concerned about Policing, drinking & driving etc?
this is what was said by a Heat employee on another board. I would assume drinking and driving is a big factor.

No longer Toonie beers, but occasionally they'll have $1 hot dog nights.

Something about the city *****ing and complaining that $2 beers is unsafe.

go_leafs_go02

Apr 24, 2004
London, ON
this is what was said by a Heat employee on another board. I would assume drinking and driving is a big factor.

Just got confirmation from a ticket rep:

City decided they didn't want to sponsor liquor as they were losing money on it, and the City holds the contract with the concession.

He did state the team is working on getting the promotions back, so who knows if it will come back in the new year.

Sounds more like a $$$ issue than a safety (drinking & driving) issue to me. Also, looks like the increase in ticket sales don't go back to the City for the promotions, although I'd assume it would reduce the total cost of taxpayer money needed to cover team losses.

go_leafs_go02

Apr 24, 2004
London, ON
1400 and 1500 fans respectively the last 2 nights.

And somehow, just somehow. Chilliwack loses their WHL team because of the Heat, even though their lowest attendance for any single game in their last season (2010-11) was 2500 fans, and averaged still 1000 more fans per game than the Heat are this season (3400 for the WHL bruins vs. 2400 for the Heat).

Still makes me mad, almost 3 years later.

go_leafs_go02

Apr 24, 2004
London, ON
Just got confirmation from a ticket rep:

City decided they didn't want to sponsor liquor as they were losing money on it, and the City holds the contract with the concession.

He did state the team is working on getting the promotions back, so who knows if it will come back in the new year.

Sounds more like a $$$ issue than a safety (drinking & driving) issue to me. Also, looks like the increase in ticket sales don't go back to the City for the promotions, although I'd assume it would reduce the total cost of taxpayer money needed to cover team losses.
Looks like the Loonie/Toonie Hot Dog/Beer promotion is back - based on this photo just posted:

http://instagram.com/p/iHbJXvF_Ga/

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad