Abbotsford Heat in Financial Distress

Guido Sarducci

Aug 7, 2012
canyon meadows
Vegas has a couple problems of their own at the moment.

http://www.lasvegassun.com/blogs/ka...johnson-boyd-and-orleans-if-wranglers-are-no/

I say move 'em to Fort Mac. Makes about as much sense as Abby.

Fort Mcmurray is now the third largest city in Alberta. And doesn't have a pro team of any sport.

I think it could work but you would need a new building. Casman Center only has 2000 seats. Although that is more than the Heats current average attendance the AHL would not consider a 2000 seat venue.

Just for a laugh. The Fort Mcmurray Oil Barons (AJHL) have roughly the same average attendance as the Abbotsford Heat. 1500 people a game!

BTW Murda, thanks for the article. I hope the Wranglers find a home. Because it is Vegas, their promos a more adult themed. Their games are a lot of fun. They even sometimes have midnight games.

Last edited:

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Fort Mcmurray is now the third largest city in Alberta. And doesn't have a pro team of any sport.

I think it could work but you would need a new building. Casman Center only has 2000 seats. Although that is more than the Heats current average attendance the AHL would not consider a 2000 seat venue.

Just for a laugh. The Fort Mcmurray Oil Barons (AJHL) have roughly the same average attendance as the Abbotsford Heat. 1500 people a game!

Yeah but it smells like Chocolate Fumes there.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Ft. Mac is a good idea. Not only are rich Calgarian execs bored and have nuthing but time and money, but also half of the NewFoundLand male population is hockey crazy. :sarcasm:

mustange70

Nov 27, 2010
Yeah lots of people in Fort McMurray with a lot of spare time in the winter with not a lot to do, they could easily support an AHL team up here.

They are planning to build a new bigger area downtown, they have acquired the land (and pissed off a lot of people in the process as per normal) and are taking proposals from a few different builders for a 7000 seat arena.

http://www.mymcmurray.com/city-issues-request-for-proposals-for-7000-seat-downtown-arena/

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad