Abbotsford Canucks Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Craig Coxe could take a *TON* of shots to the head in a fight as well (check out any of his bouts with Probert). Best thing is, if you watch a recent video of him today talking, he at least appears to be talking normally as opposed to how Ali turned out at the end.

FWIW, (and not commenting one way or another on CTE or whatever) Parkinson's eventually causes dementia.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Meh. I’m not really a huge fan but he’s useful C depth who isn’t going to complain if he’s on the 4th line. Somewhat surprised it’s 2 years but at least he isn’t taking up an NHL slot this year.
I have no problem with it......you need some veteran depth around a lot of your first-year players.

I'm just sorry they lost Vincent Arseneau......team seem to just play 'bigger' when he was out there on the ice.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC

Best guess at the Abbotsford depth chart as of now…

Goalie:
Arturs Silovs
Spencer Martin
Nikita Tolopilo

Defense:
Noah Juulsen
Jett Woo
Jack Rathbone
Filip Johansson
Cole McWard
Alex Kannok-Leipert (AHL Deal)
Quinn Schmiemann (AHL Deal)
Chad Nychuk (AHL Deal)

Forward:
Arshdeep Bains
Max Sasson
Aatu Raty
Danila Klimovich
Josh Bloom
Linus Karlsson
Aidan McDonough
Chase Wouters (AHL Deal)
Marc Gatcomb (AHL Deal)
John Stevens (AHL Deal)
Cooper Walker (AHL Deal)

A few of Hirose, Wolanin, Brisebois, Dries, Di Giuseppe and Studnicka may end up there as well.

Last edited:

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Goalie:
Arturs Silovs
Spencer Martin
Nikita Tolopilo

Defense:
Noah Juulsen
Jett Woo
Jack Rathbone
Filip Johansson
Cole McWard
Chad Nychuk (AHL Deal)

Forward:
Arshdeep Bains
Max Sasson
Aatu Raty
Danila Klimovich
Josh Bloom
Linus Karlsson
Aidan McDonough
Chase Wouters (AHL Deal)
Marc Gatcomb (AHL Deal)
John Stevens (AHL Deal)

A few of Hirose, Wolanin, Brisebois, Dries, Di Giuseppe and Studnicka may end up there as well.

They really need to sign at least one and probably two quality veteran top-6 AHL forwards in the next week to replace the Dowling/Rau/Di Giuseppe/Pederson crew.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Goalie:
Arturs Silovs
Spencer Martin
Nikita Tolopilo

Defense:
Noah Juulsen
Jett Woo
Jack Rathbone
Filip Johansson
Cole McWard
Chad Nychuk (AHL Deal)

Forward:
Arshdeep Bains
Max Sasson
Aatu Raty
Danila Klimovich
Josh Bloom
Linus Karlsson
Aidan McDonough
Chase Wouters (AHL Deal)
Marc Gatcomb (AHL Deal)
John Stevens (AHL Deal)

Cooper Walker is also on an AHL deal.

The Tristan Nielsen situation is still a weird one. Surely they’ll bring him back after investing 2 years in him and getting some really good progress, you’d think.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Cooper Walker is also on an AHL deal.

The Tristan Nielsen situation is still a weird one. Surely they’ll bring him back after investing 2 years in him and getting some really good progress, you’d think.

Thanks, I edited him onto the list.

And agree on Nielsen. I thought he might warrant an NHL contract from the Canucks, but at the very least he should get an AHL offer.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
They really need to sign at least one and probably two quality veteran top-6 AHL forwards in the next week to replace the Dowling/Rau/Di Giuseppe/Pederson crew.
Cole Cassels. Get it done.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Updated with today’s work -

Goalie:
Arturs Silovs
Spencer Martin
Zachary Sawchenko
Nikita Tolopilo

Defense:
Noah Juulsen
Guillaume Brisebois
Jett Woo
Jack Rathbone
Filip Johansson
Cole McWard
Chad Nychuk (AHL Deal)

Forward:
Jack Studnicka
Arshdeep Bains
Max Sasson
Aatu Raty
Danila Klimovich
Josh Bloom
Linus Karlsson
Aidan McDonough
Tristen Nielsen
Chase Wouters (AHL Deal)
Marc Gatcomb (AHL Deal)
John Stevens (AHL Deal)
Cooper Walker (AHL Deal)

I wonder if, rather than signing any more AHL forwards, the Canucks intend to try and send Jack Studnicka (and maybe Sheldon Dries, too) there. Both would be strong veteran presences for that team.

Also think that with the moves on defense today, we likely see Brisebois start in Abbotsford. I would guess Irwin and Wolanin have the inside track on sticking as 7th and 8th defenders with the big club, and I think Hirose has a good chance to stick in the top six.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
The more interesting discussion is which Abbotsford Canuck players will be first in line for a callup to the big club in the event of injuries.

On the blueline it's probably Juulson, Brisebois and Rathbone, although Johansson could creep into the conversation with a strong start.

Up front, it's probably Bains, Raty, Karlsson and Nielsen.

Reactions: Mr. Canucklehead

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
The more interesting discussion is which Abbotsford Canuck players will be first in line for a callup to the big club in the event of injuries.

On the blueline it's probably Juulson, Brisebois and Rathbone, although Johansson could creep into the conversation with a strong start.

Up front, it's probably Bains, Raty, Karlsson and Nielsen.

Woo needs to be in that conversation too if he's going to make it.

Play

Time to play the game
Nov 12, 2021
Russia
Oh boy. We are in for a long season. Every other AHL team has gotten way better

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Must confess I have absolutely no idea what other NHL teams are doing to build their AHL farm teams. I don't even know what's happening even in the Pacific Division, although I can't believe that the Abbotsford Canucks have fallen very far behind anyone.

The reality is, this projected Abbotsford Canucks team is by the best they've had in three seasons--and if one or both of Phil Di Giuseppe or Sheldon Dries finds their way back to Abby, they'll be even stronger.

Reactions: Play

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Must confess I have absolutely no idea what other NHL teams are doing to build their AHL farm teams. I don't even know what's happening even in the Pacific Division, although I can't believe that the Abbotsford Canucks have fallen very far behind anyone.

The reality is, this projected Abbotsford Canucks team is by the best they've had in three seasons--and if one or both of Phil Di Giuseppe or Sheldon Dries finds their way back to Abby, they'll be even stronger.

Right now it's probably the worst.

It has better prospects maybe and more guys off the prospect list, but what wins games in the AHL is AAAA veteran types like Di Giuseppe/Dowling/Petan/Wolanin/Bailey etc. and right now we're running back a very inexperienced team that will probably not be as good as last year.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Right now it's probably the worst.

It has better prospects maybe and more guys off the prospect list, but what wins games in the AHL is AAAA veteran types like Di Giuseppe/Dowling/Petan/Wolanin/Bailey etc. and right now we're running back a very inexperienced team that will probably not be as good as last year.
I just don't see it.......Bains, Klimovich, Rathbone, Raty, Bains and Karlsson, Wouters and Neilson are starting their second and even third years in the AHL. It isn't a stretch to say that this might be the year that some of them break through. And there's also a chance one of Hoglander or Podkolzin starts the year in Abbotsford as well.

Granted they're going to miss veterans like Chad Rau; Vinnie Arsneau and Justin Dowling. But they weren't really driving the team bus last year in Abbotsford anyway. And with the possible exception of Wolanin, it looks like most of their blueline will be intact. The team is set in goal with either Martin or Silovs.

So I'm just not understanding all the pessimism.

TossingPizzas

Apr 28, 2022
I'd like to see Jake Kupsky back in net but that's only because we're friends and I worked for the Lone Star Brahmas during his time there.

• Wow

TomWillander1RD

Jul 21, 2004

Vincent Arseneau's replacement, perhaps? That is one big boy. Former Kamloops Blazer and late Dallas Stars draft pick.

Seems like a strong guy who had a disappointing year last season production wise. Hopefully, he has decided to quit his baseball career :) and focuses on playing hockey.

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
guess they're not concerned about the team if they're signing bottom 6 muscle. kinda don't see dries on the nhl roster anyway

THRILLHOIAF

Jul 26, 2019

Most likely, Dries spends the rest of the season with Abbotsford, while Vancouver rolls with Aman, Blugers down the middle in the bottom 6.

This Vancouver club is young as heck and gave the Calgary Wranglers a serious run for their money when they had no business doing so. The Ontario Reign were in a similar position a few years ago. Just abysmal because of how young their team was. Then they became one of the best clubs in the AHL. Same with Binghamton and Rochester out east. The way of the game. Don't need to worry if other clubs get better in the division because that just promotes players to adapt to better players = good.

Defensive depth is pretty impressive. Going to be a tough out for guys like Schmiemann, Nychuk, and AKL to earn reps this year with Briesbois, Rathbone, Hirose, McWard, and Woo there. Not to mention the potential for Wolanin/Juulsen to ALSO be with Abbotsford. Going to be slim pickens for minutes

Reactions: Play and Vector

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
@THRILL
Defensive depth is pretty impressive. Going to be a tough out for guys like Schmiemann, Nychuk, and AKL to earn reps this year with Briesbois, Rathbone, Hirose, McWard, and Woo there. Not to mention the potential for Wolanin/Juulsen to ALSO be with Abbotsford. Going to be slim pickens for minutes

Johansson too.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Matt Irwin will be a nice 'veteran addition' to the Abbotsford Canucks blueline.

And Jermaine Loewen looks like a good old fashioned 'enforcer' in the Ryan Reaves mold. He played his junior hockey in Kamloops, and actually had a couple of decent scoring years in junior. But as a pro, he's strictly a banger and crasher.

Hopefully he can replace Vinny Arseneau. The Baby Canucks always played 'bigger' when he was in the lineup.

Reactions: CalderSchmalder
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad