Abbotsford Canucks Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Interesting.

Led the entire OHL in faceoff attempts (1534 at 53%) and 41 of his 51 points were ES/SH. Seems to get rave marks for his work ethic and leadership.

Seems like another Chase Wouters on paper.

Really hard to find video on him to evaluate whether his skating gives him more upside than his production would indicate.

… missed originally that this is Scott Walker’s kid, so a 2nd generation Canuck.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Interesting.

Led the entire OHL in faceoff attempts (1534 at 53%) and 41 of his 51 points were ES/SH. Seems to get rave marks for his work ethic and leadership.

Seems like another Chase Wouters on paper.

Really hard to find video on him to evaluate whether his skating gives him more upside than his production would indicate.
He's at least got to get a shot on a line with Josh Bloom.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Gstank

Apr 27, 2015
I like how the orgnization is using UDFA to fill in the depth roles in Abby. It may cost the team wins or a championship at the AHL level but it will definitely help the NHL team if you can get 1/2 of those guys to play over 100 career NHL games

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Didn't realize that Cooper Walker is the son of former Canuck coach and player, Scott Walker.

If some of the DNA has rubbed off from Scott 'Wild Thing' Walker, then Cooper might be a player after all.

Scott started his career has an undersized d-man, but basically willed himself into the NHL as an effective, third-fourth line winger. He was good in Vancouver, but even better in Nashville.

In fact he had a 15 year NHL career, before retiring in Washington at the end of the 2009-10 season. Hard to believe.....but just goes to show how far will and determination will take you.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
My favourite Scott Walker moments were of him repeatedly destroying Michel Petit and Tom Larscheid absolutely losing his mind about it.

This one?

Petit brutally sucker punched Walker at the start while Walker was being held, and Walker got loose and went absolutely Godzilla vs. Bambi on Petit.

That was actually Round 2, apparently - can't find Round 1. Here's Round 3 - they really wanted to go.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
This one?

Petit brutally sucker punched Walker at the start while Walker was being held, and Walker got loose and went absolutely Godzilla vs. Bambi on Petit.

That was actually Round 2, apparently - can't find Round 1. Here's Round 3 - they really wanted to go.

Round 1 was in the 1993 preseason when Petit was in Calgary and Walker absolutely demolished him. Like Rypien-Clune but moreso. I remember seeing the video when it happened on BCTV News or something but it appears to have been lost to time.

And yeah, Walker avenging that sucker punch in Round 2 was so, so good.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Klimovich is flying below the radar screen as a Canuck prospect. He had a tough year playing as an 18 in the AHL, one of the best pro leagues in the world. But when you consider that his junior career prior to that was playing in the Belarussian junior leagues, it's remarkable that he made it at all.

It's a little like jumping from Jr. B hockey all the way to AHL without any stops in between. This year he did make a major move--on both sides of the puck. Scored 17 times and his +15 was the best on the team.

Another productive year in Abbotsford, and he'll be pushing for a spot on the parent Canucks by his 22nd birthday.

Reactions: wonton15 and DFAC

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
Oh, for sure. We have normal competent management now who have been able to leverage the opportunity provided by a thin roster into results. And Kuzmenko was a massive home run.

But generally speaking, the reason we've signed so many Euro/NCAA/CHL UFA prospects in the past 12 months is because we had few picks (and few good, signable prospects amongst the picks we did use) from the 2018-2021 drafts.

And again for 23-24 we have only one Canuck-drafted prospect turning pro (McDonough) plus Bloom acquired in a trade.

And to be clear, I have no problem with that. One of the reasons I've supported trading picks and running a pick deficit is that these things don't happen in a vacuum. If you trade a 4th round pick in 2020, that means you have one less prospect to sign in 2022 and you have the ability to sign a Bains or an Aman and you've lost nothing.
Wait those are connected 😳🥴🤯

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Klimovich is flying below the radar screen as a Canuck prospect. He had a tough year playing as an 18 in the AHL, one of the best pro leagues in the world. But when you consider that his junior career prior to that was playing in the Belarussian junior leagues, it's remarkable that he made it at all.

It's a little like jumping from Jr. B hockey all the way to AHL without any stops in between. This year he did make a major move--on both sides of the puck. Scored 17 times and his +15 was the best on the team.

Another productive year in Abbotsford, and he'll be pushing for a spot on the parent Canucks by his 22nd birthday.
If his CHL rights were owned by a WHL team or even an OHL team, I think that would have been the place for him in 21-22 rather than in the A. They didn't appear to want him to go to the Q team that held his rights.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I had no memory of Gaetz ever even trying out for the Canucks. Gaetz was actually a better hockey player than most people remember... unfortunately, he was also an unhinged alcoholic who sewered his career by getting in a serious car accident.

This was after his car accident/brain damage. It was crazy that teams kept giving him more chances when he was clearly a shadow of the player/person he had been.

What a sad story Gaetz is.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
One of my favourite Scott Walker moments (with bonus footage of Messier being a limp dick non-factor)...

By that point the Messier leadership myth was so taken for granted it was like people thought he had a little device in his gear that just emitted leadership at a certain MHz, like one of those mosquito repeller things. He's such a great leader he doesn't even need to do anything but stare at other players periodically after the play and take a few strides in random directions every ten seconds mumbling to himself until the next faceoff.

JumpierPegasus

Mar 3, 2011
Abbotsford, BC
Loved Vinny, one of my favourite Abby guys. A pure showman through and through. And you know he loved it

Probably wants to be closer to home back east as he heads into his mid thirties playing career. Wish him all the best

Nucker42

Nov 27, 2011
Didn't realize that Cooper Walker is the son of former Canuck coach and player, Scott Walker.

If some of the DNA has rubbed off from Scott 'Wild Thing' Walker, then Cooper might be a player after all.

Scott started his career has an undersized d-man, but basically willed himself into the NHL as an effective, third-fourth line winger. He was good in Vancouver, but even better in Nashville.

In fact he had a 15 year NHL career, before retiring in Washington at the end of the 2009-10 season. Hard to believe.....but just goes to show how far will and determination will take you.
Loved Scott Walker growing up. Can’t remember who, but I recall a fight where the announcer said he ‘rope-a-doped’ the guy.

Imagine making the NHL, then making as a fighter. Then making it as a 5’9 guy. He was a beauty.

Saggy

Apr 24, 2019
Ok who wants to be the Armchair GM and draw up the starting lines for opening day puck drop?

I think we have for the most part the team being in place outside of the vets that remain unsigned and a few pickups.

Ignore the draft as most will not be candidates for Abby

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Loved Scott Walker growing up. Can’t remember who, but I recall a fight where the announcer said he ‘rope-a-doped’ the guy.

Imagine making the NHL, then making as a fighter. Then making it as a 5’9 guy. He was a beauty.
Craig Coxe could take a *TON* of shots to the head in a fight as well (check out any of his bouts with Probert). Best thing is, if you watch a recent video of him today talking, he at least appears to be talking normally as opposed to how Ali turned out at the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad