Prospect Info: Aaron Huglen, RW, #102 overall 2019, University of Minnesota

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Goal -

That's Ryan Johnson with the play from the point. Huglen also had a secondary on this, the Gopher's first goal:

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Wheeler has Huglen as the Sabres #18 prospect in his annual ranking of NHL prospect pools (Sabres are #1)

Wheeler’s 2022 NHL prospect pool rankings: No. 1 Buffalo Sabres – The Athletic

18. Aaron Huglen, RW, 20 (University of Minnesota)
Huglen’s young career has travelled a circuitous path so far. He was an offensive dynamo in the high school hockey scene in Minnesota. Then he missed the entirety of his post-draft season to a back injury. Then because of the injury and the pandemic, he played his D+2 season in the USHL to get back into a rhythm. And now he’s a depth forward as a 20-year-old freshman at the University of Minnesota. All of those things make him a long shot. But I still really like the skill and expect him to be a highly productive college player by his junior or senior years. He has slick, slick hands and impressive creativity with the puck. And while his frame is slight and needs filling out, if that comes he’ll have another level to find. He’s got some real believers out there still, too. I’d keep one eye on him.
Here’s one source on Huglen: “His combo of brain and stick skills are elite … and I mean elite. I’ve been so impressed with his skating since he’s been back, too. Unbelievable to me that he couldn’t skate or work out for over a year and he looks dynamic still. His ceiling is so high.”

Reactions: TheMistyStranger

cybresabre

prōject positivity
Feb 27, 2002
+
Wheeler has Huglen as the Sabres #18 prospect in his annual ranking of NHL prospect pools (Sabres are #1)

Here’s one source on Huglen: “His combo of brain and stick skills are elite … and I mean elite. I’ve been so impressed with his skating since he’s been back, too. Unbelievable to me that he couldn’t skate or work out for over a year and he looks dynamic still. His ceiling is so high.”
I think we all know who this is

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021
Can't find his TOI. Freshmen often play on lower lines, don't get many minutes, or see any PP time, but 4G and 2A isn't exactly lighting it up.

Nice highlights though. Obviously lots of skill.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Can't find his TOI. Freshmen often play on lower lines, don't get many minutes, or see any PP time, but 4G and 2A isn't exactly lighting it up.

Nice highlights though. Obviously lots of skill.

Lately, mostly third line center.

FKOTgENWQAI4ztR

FKyQSGgXsAEGps8

Reactions: sabremike

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021
No worries!

I'm keen to let him slow cook in Minny (and Costantini in NoDak) for some future goodness.
Absolutely. If there was ever a player not to be rushed, it's Huglen, given his injury history and resulting lost development time.

The skill set on the guy is impressive. If it translates to the NHL level, the Sabres will have something special.

The Blunder Years

Nov 11, 2013
Is elite prospects bugged with his stat line this year? 27 gp - 5 G - 3 A - 8 P. Feel like he’s getting a ton of hype but that point total is rough. I don’t watch or follow NCAA outside of stats occasionally so I could be missing something.

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
Is elite prospects bugged with his stat line this year? 27 gp - 5 G - 3 A - 8 P. Feel like he’s getting a ton of hype but that point total is rough. I don’t watch or follow NCAA outside of stats occasionally so I could be missing something.
He isn't doing bad as a freshman. He has had half of his points in the last 5 games

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

Context is decisive - as SundherDome points out, he's a freshman and not playing a scoring line role. He tiered up and it sometimes takes time. If he stays another couple seasons, he should shuffle up the lineup as upperclassmen often do and the numbers will follow.

Reactions: The Blunder Years

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
Take this for what its worth, but at the Steel games there is an area that is not quite a box but is sectioned off from GA. It has seating area for food and drink but it also has power outlets for phones and tablets. Alot of the scouts sit there to be able to recharge devices and what not. One guy asked my opinion. I said what I said here. Sublime hands. I followed it with, “I don’t think you can make a judgement about him, because no on the ice is playing the same creative game.” He smiled and said you should scout because that is the book on him. In other words, the guys he is playing with now do not think and react the way he does. Especially on a shutdown line.

All are wondering if his skill set will shine when he has other players that think the game as fast as he does.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad