Aaron Ekblad discussion thread

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
Well the one thing that I was referring to as ignorant is assuming a players off-season regime. for anyone to sit here and claim a players isn’t working on this or that is competely naive and ignoran.

Not saying he’s not working on it, but the guy’s skating has not improved in any noticeable way since he got into the league 10 years ago.

Reactions: KW

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
Well the one thing that I was referring to as ignorant is assuming a players off-season regime. for anyone to sit here and claim a players isn’t working on this or that is competely naive and ignoran.
Well, yeah, I guess people like Ekblad could have worked on his skating every f***ing off-season but just never show any results. I don’t know he didn’t work on skating; I do know the results weren’t there.

Not saying he’s not working on it, but the guy’s skating has not improved in any noticeable way since he got into the league 10 years ago.
LOL I said basically the exact same thing one minute later

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
Except this is factually incorrect. He showed better speed and explosiveness his first few years. Edges work was elite. enough to make his skating a non factor. Then injuries hit hard.

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
Except this is factually incorrect. He showed better speed and explosiveness his first few years. Edges work was elite. enough to make his skating a non factor. Then injuries hit hard.

WTF, since his Injuries, his first Step even slower then before and he still trample on the Ice to get speed and doesnt slide. Sometimes its even horrible to watch. In the Carolina Series, they even made high passes into the Corner where Ekblad belongs, so they can overskate him.

He doesnt even denied it. He said by himself in the PressConference, 100% serious and 100% by full concoisness. "I know i am not the fastest Skater." And Position play starting with been in the right Position in the right Time.

He tryed like Barkov to work on his Strides, but that doesnt worked out as most possible. That might bad but only half as bad. As how many Injuries he already had in the last 5 Season, all combined, is a complete Season. he missed, so LTIR Full recovery for himself, 10 Teams list thanks.

re-signing after the last 5 Years is not an option. He might be Injured, but the 1-0 in Game 4, also showed, working under pressure or look at the Game in High End Situation, might not his Game.
And he choose by himself, fast physical Body, for lack of skating. And physical Body and tilt now over to fast Building.

mcostan

Jun 17, 2023
His AAV is going to be over $8m.. perhaps even $10m or more at 30 y/o. I love the guy but he has suffered some terrible injuries on top of not being an exceptional skater to begin with. Some team is gonna give him that long, expensive contract and it's not going to be Florida if they don't want to be in another crippling Bob contract situation. Doubt Bobby Orr is going to be agreeable to a team friendly deal.

Reactions: Laus723

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
Yea, I'm not sure he's worth re-signing to any market value deal once this one is up.
Between the injuries and footspeed(which doesn't get better in the 30's) I think it's best to just trade/let him walk depending on how the team is built for another run.

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
Assuming he comes back as just a solid dman, but not the norris-caliber defender he was looking like, I don't think he's getting a raise on this current contract. Could see him getting $6-7M AAV if he goes back to being a solid top-4 guy, but nobody's paying him star player dollars.

Look at OEL as a good example, he was arguably one of the best two-way guys for awhile and they just had to buy him out. He might get a $1.5-2M prove-it deal this year. I think teams are smarter now and won't just sign contracts based on pedigree. Ekblad was also one of the first players to get a big deal instead of an RFA bridge, so it's not like he'll be out hunting for his big score.

sinDer

Nov 22, 2006
Drummondville, QC
Assuming he comes back as just a solid dman, but not the norris-caliber defender he was looking like, I don't think he's getting a raise on this current contract. Could see him getting $6-7M AAV if he goes back to being a solid top-4 guy, but nobody's paying him star player dollars.

Look at OEL as a good example, he was arguably one of the best two-way guys for awhile and they just had to buy him out. He might get a $1.5-2M prove-it deal this year. I think teams are smarter now and won't just sign contracts based on pedigree. Ekblad was also one of the first players to get a big deal instead of an RFA bridge, so it's not like he'll be out hunting for his big score.

Calgary's GM says hello.

pantherbot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2006
Calgary's GM says hello.

I wouldn't have signed Huberdeau to that contract, but he did just come off a monster season, so I at least get the rationale. My point is that teams aren't just paying up based on reputation or draft position, they're paying based on actual performance and Ekblad isn't performing like a star defenseman, so he's not going to be paid like one.

If he can get it together again, he'll likely perform like a solid defensive top-4 guy with some offensive capability and I think he'll be paid accordingly, which puts his next contract at $6-7M AAV give or take depending on cap situation at that time. It's not that far off the contract numbers being discussed for a guy like Graves, which would be sort of equivalent to what Ekblad could bring to the table if healthy and playing well.

So I say we should see what he can do when fully recovered and healthy. I think he's earned that from us. And then negotiate contract accordingly based on performance. He's not getting paid $8-10M even when playing well unless he somehow turns back into a norris candidate.

Reactions: harv33173

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
I may not agree with how you've said most of what you've said here, but this is all there is to it. And to think of the specific injuries he's endured and came back from. All for us.

But here's the other side. Nothing personal, I love him forever for all he's done for us, motherfunk the ignorance of his critics. But this is a business. Is his being injury prone now sadly too much to keep around for more than sentimental reasons? My heart says something different than my brain here. What a circle- but as seen in playoffs, sometimes the heart outweighs the mind.

Damn. I say he stays and sees it thru, as he is unarguably a top 10 defenseman when healthy, but I'm not in charge.

Reactions: harv33173

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
Capitals are near to a rebuild, most Players reaching the Line of thanks I'm done. I thought also that Ovi might stop, after his Father died this Year.
Main Group reaching 35 and above.
Ovi’s not gonna stop until he gets the goals record from Gretzky - or his health gives up.

Reactions: GermanPanther

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
Ovi’s not gonna stop until he gets the goals record from Gretzky - or his health gives up.

Then he have atleast 2 more Season to play, that is one less then his Contract is running.
I dont expect him to score 75 Goals in one Season. But 30 and 40 in one Season might be possible, if he stays healthy in the regular Season.

Washington Capitals Salary Cap, Draft Picks, and Player Contracts - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps but this whole Core lets they one or two more Years, before they start to sell Players and get Picks back. And create a new Core.

Reactions: KW

IceManCat

#TheFloridaPanthers
Jul 13, 2006
The Rat Den
Capitals are near to a rebuild, most Players reaching the Line of thanks I'm done. I thought also that Ovi might stop, after his Father died this Year.
Main Group reaching 35 and above.

I do think you're right in your assumptions however there is still a real possibility that he would waive. It may be a better career choice for him when you think about his next contract and the security he may want. It's pretty much a forgone conclusion that the Panthers will not sign him when his deal is up. The Capitals on the other hand may want to extend him. His chances of a long term contract would be better there than here, something worthy of consideration.

Reactions: GermanPanther

Laus723

Paradise hockey
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
Just seeing this but, proof is in the pudding. He’s slow af, explain why it’s naive and/ignorant to do the math there. It’s naive and ignorant to assume he does work on it based on the body of work.

On top of that he’s glass.

Reactions: FinlandPanther

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
Just seeing this but, proof is in the pudding. He’s slow af, explain why it’s naive and/ignorant to do the math there. It’s naive and ignorant to assume he does work on it based on the body of work.

He’s in the nhl. The conditioning and testing of these athletes is second to none. This comment is absolutely laughable, period. just a bunch of recency bias. two or Three years ago the comlplaints were none existant. He’s just not explosive and it’s likely genetics Instead of just not working on it.

zeroG

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2006
Somerville, MA

I get the anger. part of the reason I don't watch the NBA much anymore is because of hack-a-shaq. I couldn't get over the fact that MF dragged the game into the dirt because he couldn't be bothered to improve his free throw shooting. instead, he (seemingly) spent his summers trying to be a rap star. never liked him, still don't.

anyway, I think my first point is that, while his stride obviously isn't the most elegant, he's not *that* slow. I always come back to this - if you're in the discussion for the Norris multiple times, you're doing something right. you can't be in that discussion if your skating is *that* bad.

the real point I came here to make is that I recently read an article that discussed how critical it is to get your skating mechanics ironed out by around the U10 phase as it's difficult to change the core of your mechanics later on. this hit me because I, like many here, know that many players work on their skating in the off-season (most famously, booth working with a figure skater every summer). It also resonated because I work with kids at that age and have two kids myself who play. unfortunately, I don't remember now where I came across this as I follow a ton of hockey-related content on social media but it was a solid source, maybe USA Hockey. I'll continue to look for it and will post if I can dig it up.

so I just want to caution folks who are criticizing ek on this. he's a big guy with an odd skating stride and it may not be so easy (or even possible) to change that.

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
so I just want to caution folks who are criticizing ek on this. he's a big guy with an odd skating stride and it may not be so easy (or even possible) to change that.

But that is the Main Problem, the Game goes mostly in two Ways. Fast Game, skating and Passing Game. So you have to be Quick. So if you cant get better you loose an Advantage you could have.
Cause with the developing of the Game and new Players, there is less room where you are better then other. Ekblad seeing himself as a Position Player, but for that you must be quick on the Ice and understand where the next pass goes. That you are in the right Position.
Position play as itself, needs high understanding of the Game, skating first steps and agility and reaction, also the Body.

In his first Year, it was a bit lets say horrible.
For the overall understanding why we critise him or that Point. In his junior Years he get praised, for have a matured Body, but skated really good for his Body.
In the Offseason from junior to Mature, he wanted to play straight NHL. As you want and also await from a Player picked as a Top3 Pick.
So he added in a single Year, here im not 100% sure, 10-15 Pounds to have a Body he can stay against older Matured Forwards.
So it was Day 1 in the Training Camp, you saw a Matured Ekblad, but as a few noted he was one of the slowest skater on the Team. And the skateing you Drafted, wasnt no more there.

So in his 5 Years he was healthy and played a lot of Hockey, you saw 0% where you could say, okay he worked on his skating in the Offseason. He doesnt have to work on his Body as the Main Point after his first Year. But it wasnt also the skating. In year 2 and 3 it was aiming and to controll shot special slapshot from the BlueLine. Since in the early Years a lot of Pucks, i Quote here Danny Potvin, "listen good". (meaning far and wide or high over the Net). In the Year Gallant came in as a new Coach, how also Coached Ekblad in juniors. With the rush Game, also Ekbald worked on his Strides, but his first steps, is what i call trample on the Ice. When those first Steps would push and stride, would improve really high.

@vendetta This is also for you, this dicussion is not 2, not 3 not 4, its near 10 years old. But it getting more worse with all the Injuries he had and no practice. So we mention this near every Year.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
I get the anger. part of the reason I don't watch the NBA much anymore is because of hack-a-shaq. I couldn't get over the fact that MF dragged the game into the dirt because he couldn't be bothered to improve his free throw shooting. instead, he (seemingly) spent his summers trying to be a rap star. never liked him, still don't.

anyway, I think my first point is that, while his stride obviously isn't the most elegant, he's not *that* slow. I always come back to this - if you're in the discussion for the Norris multiple times, you're doing something right. you can't be in that discussion if your skating is *that* bad.

the real point I came here to make is that I recently read an article that discussed how critical it is to get your skating mechanics ironed out by around the U10 phase as it's difficult to change the core of your mechanics later on. this hit me because I, like many here, know that many players work on their skating in the off-season (most famously, booth working with a figure skater every summer). It also resonated because I work with kids at that age and have two kids myself who play. unfortunately, I don't remember now where I came across this as I follow a ton of hockey-related content on social media but it was a solid source, maybe USA Hockey. I'll continue to look for it and will post if I can dig it up.

Maybe it’s been stated but I don’t and cannot accept that as the gospel truth.

At the NHL level the most famous example close to panthers is none other than Barkov. He trained with a top Finnish past figure skater and current coach (a female in her 40s/50s at the time). When he came back the difference was obvious. Anyone could see it. He was lighter on his feet, faster on his acceleration, better on his corners and pivots.

There are also adult skaters at the beer league level (I’d say up to C league level) who never skated before, started in their 30s even, and a couple of years later could play and skate with guys in C league who’ve done it since kids. So obviously this proves that adults CAN learn difficult and critical skills like skating later in life. I don’t think it’s a stretch to claim from this that an adult in his or her 20s can noticeably improve their skating and even if the level is already high, like Barkov’s.

Ek just doesn’t put in the effort, he seems to think (based on lack of improvement) that he’s good enough. Well guess what? His lack of training earlier and now will cost him $2-3-4M/year on his next contract. Might be $10-20M total less because of being lazy or dumb or both.

zeroG

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2006
Somerville, MA
But that is the Main Problem, the Game goes mostly in two Ways. Fast Game, skating and Passing Game. So you have to be Quick. So if you cant get better you loose an Advantage you could have.
Cause with the developing of the Game and new Players, there is less room where you are better then other. Ekblad seeing himself as a Position Player, but for that you must be quick on the Ice and understand where the next pass goes. That you are in the right Position.
Position play as itself, needs high understanding of the Game, skating first steps and agility and reaction, also the Body.

In his first Year, it was a bit lets say horrible.
For the overall understanding why we critise him or that Point. In his junior Years he get praised, for have a matured Body, but skated really good for his Body.
In the Offseason from junior to Mature, he wanted to play straight NHL. As you want and also await from a Player picked as a Top3 Pick.
So he added in a single Year, here im not 100% sure, 10-15 Pounds to have a Body he can stay against older Matured Forwards.
So it was Day 1 in the Training Camp, you saw a Matured Ekblad, but as a few noted he was one of the slowest skater on the Team. And the skateing you Drafted, wasnt no more there.

So in his 5 Years he was healthy and played a lot of Hockey, you saw 0% where you could say, okay he worked on his skating in the Offseason. He doesnt have to work on his Body as the Main Point after his first Year. But it wasnt also the skating. In year 2 and 3 it was aiming and to controll shot special slapshot from the BlueLine. Since in the early Years a lot of Pucks, i Quote here Danny Potvin, "listen good". (meaning far and wide or high over the Net). In the Year Gallant came in as a new Coach, how also Coached Ekblad in juniors. With the rush Game, also Ekbald worked on his Strides, but his first steps, is what i call trample on the Ice. When those first Steps would push and stride, would improve really high.

@vendetta This is also for you, this dicussion is not 2, not 3 not 4, its near 10 years old. But it getting more worse with all the Injuries he had and no practice. So we mention this near every Year.

all I am saying is that it may not be as easy as we think to change his skating stride. that's it. I'm not defending him to make an argument for re-signing him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad