Aaron Ekblad discussion thread

zeroG

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2006
Somerville, MA
Maybe it’s been stated but I don’t and cannot accept that as the gospel truth.

At the NHL level the most famous example close to panthers is none other than Barkov. He trained with a top Finnish past figure skater and current coach (a female in her 40s/50s at the time). When he came back the difference was obvious. Anyone could see it. He was lighter on his feet, faster on his acceleration, better on his corners and pivots.

There are also adult skaters at the beer league level (I’d say up to C league level) who never skated before, started in their 30s even, and a couple of years later could play and skate with guys in C league who’ve done it since kids. So obviously this proves that adults CAN learn difficult and critical skills like skating later in life. I don’t think it’s a stretch to claim from this that an adult in his or her 20s can noticeably improve their skating and even if the level is already high, like Barkov’s.

Ek just doesn’t put in the effort, he seems to think (based on lack of improvement) that he’s good enough. Well guess what? His lack of training earlier and now will cost him $2-3-4M/year on his next contract. Might be $10-20M total less because of being lazy or dumb or both.

I think it's a rather large stretch. there are other explanations that seem more plausible to me. the fact that he's been recovering from serious injury the past several summers is one. I don't see why we have to get angry with the guy and call him lazy or dumb.

I was not suggesting that one cannot improve their skating. Barkov is an elite skater already and certainly easy to imagine tidying up little aspects of his technique.

and of course people can learn to skate later in life. that's a different scenario.

my point was simply that it may not be as easy for a guy who's been skating the same way and playing an elite game overall since he was a kid to change his stride. it isn't exactly one little tweak - his posture and stride would probably need to be overhauled.

anyway, I don't care to debate this any more. was just trying to add some information to the discussion. if I can dig up the link, I'll post it. maybe that'll change some minds.

Gentle Man

09/12
Nov 15, 2011
Ontario, CA
I get the anger. part of the reason I don't watch the NBA much anymore is because of hack-a-shaq. I couldn't get over the fact that MF dragged the game into the dirt because he couldn't be bothered to improve his free throw shooting. instead, he (seemingly) spent his summers trying to be a rap star. never liked him, still don't.

anyway, I think my first point is that, while his stride obviously isn't the most elegant, he's not *that* slow. I always come back to this - if you're in the discussion for the Norris multiple times, you're doing something right. you can't be in that discussion if your skating is *that* bad.

the real point I came here to make is that I recently read an article that discussed how critical it is to get your skating mechanics ironed out by around the U10 phase as it's difficult to change the core of your mechanics later on. this hit me because I, like many here, know that many players work on their skating in the off-season (most famously, booth working with a figure skater every summer). It also resonated because I work with kids at that age and have two kids myself who play. unfortunately, I don't remember now where I came across this as I follow a ton of hockey-related content on social media but it was a solid source, maybe USA Hockey. I'll continue to look for it and will post if I can dig it up.

so I just want to caution folks who are criticizing ek on this. he's a big guy with an odd skating stride and it may not be so easy (or even possible) to change that.
This is a weird reason to stop watching the NBA. I get not liking Shaq for reasons, but the Hack-A-Shaq? Really? There are a lot more poor free throw shooters now who are actually "skilled" players which makes it more infuriating, like Giannis. Shaq didnt dominate because of skill. He dominated because of his size and physicality. But in pure skill, other centers CLEARED him easily like Hakeem. It always made sense to me he sucked at free throws because of that reason. Personally, I have watched less of the NBA regular season because it is like watching professional LA Fitness Ball.

These days you have players who suck at free throw even though they are skilled players (Giannis, Luka, LeBron).

Ekblad being in the Norris discussion doesnt excuse him from being slow, and getting "last place" votes isnt really THAT special. Anton Stralman got last
place votes.

I do firmly believe though if he didnt get hurt last year or the bubble year he MAY have won the Norris, or at least be top 3.

The injuries ARE a legitimate concern now though. That is 3 years in a row that he has a lower body related injury. And him being slow already, those injuries are not going to help at all.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
I think it's a rather large stretch. there are other explanations that seem more plausible to me. the fact that he's been recovering from serious injury the past several summers is one. I don't see why we have to get angry with the guy and call him lazy or dumb.

I was not suggesting that one cannot improve their skating. Barkov is an elite skater already and certainly easy to imagine tidying up little aspects of his technique.

and of course people can learn to skate later in life. that's a different scenario.

my point was simply that it may not be as easy for a guy who's been skating the same way and playing an elite game overall since he was a kid to change his stride. it isn't exactly one little tweak - his posture and stride would probably need to be overhauled.

anyway, I don't care to debate this any more. was just trying to add some information to the discussion. if I can dig up the link, I'll post it. maybe that'll change some minds.
I’m not “angry” by calling him lazy or dumb. I simply think he’s lazy or dumb not to improve his weakness. He’s elite at shooting, puck handling, positioning, play reading, anticipating play, and to some extent passing. So why doesn’t he work on his worst aspect? It’s lazy or dumb or both.

My contention is that if he’d worked on it early in his NHL career, he probably would have avoided his leg injuries. Double dumb.

zeroG

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2006
Somerville, MA
This is a weird reason to stop watching the NBA. I get not liking Shaq for reasons, but the Hack-A-Shaq? Really? There are a lot more poor free throw shooters now who are actually "skilled" players which makes it more infuriating, like Giannis. Shaq didnt dominate because of skill. He dominated because of his size and physicality. But in pure skill, other centers CLEARED him easily like Hakeem. It always made sense to me he sucked at free throws because of that reason. Personally, I have watched less of the NBA regular season because it is like watching professional LA Fitness Ball.

These days you have players who suck at free throw even though they are skilled players (Giannis, Luka, LeBron).

ha. yeah, it wasn't just that but that really annoyed me. I don't follow it closely enough now to know who would be worse. guess it was more like it felt like the league was becoming more of a vehicle for individuals to market themselves, which shaq has certainly done, relentlessly. maybe it started with Rodman.

and yeah, I agree - shaq wasn't a very good player. just had the size. made me dislike him even more.

nowadays, I just don't find games compelling when they become 3-point shootouts. in the 80s and 90s, 3s were the exceptions; teams had to run a half-court offense and/or be great in transition. now they just trade 3s. I watched a handful of the heat's games and enjoyed them, though both teams (conf finals at least) fell into that pattern of taking the first open 3 rather than working to generate a better shot.

Ekblad being in the Norris discussion doesnt excuse him from being slow, and getting "last place" votes isnt really THAT special. Anton Stralman got last
place votes.

I do firmly believe though if he didnt get hurt last year or the bubble year he MAY have won the Norris, or at least be top 3.

The injuries ARE a legitimate concern now though. That is 3 years in a row that he has a lower body related injury. And him being slow already, those injuries are not going to help at all.

again, not trying to excuse him. just saying I don't think it's quite as easy to change as some are suggesting.

and yeah, injuries are def a concern.

I have no idea which way this is going to go and I'm fine with either. he's clearly an impactful player when healthy and can contribute even when not but I think we can maybe all agree that he's not going to be that dominant top guy he was trending toward a few years ago, before the concussions and injuries.

Reactions: PSLguy

zeroG

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2006
Somerville, MA
I’m not “angry” by calling him lazy or dumb. I simply think he’s lazy or dumb not to improve his weakness. He’s elite at shooting, puck handling, positioning, play reading, anticipating play, and to some extent passing. So why doesn’t he work on his worst aspect? It’s lazy or dumb or both.

My contention is that if he’d worked on it early in his NHL career, he probably would have avoided his leg injuries. Double dumb.

it's so easy to say that (that he hasn't worked on his skating and that he could've prevented his injuries) but it's really just speculation. maybe we can just agree to leave it here.

Reactions: Felidae

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
it's so easy to say that (that he hasn't worked on his skating and that he could've prevented his injuries) but it's really just speculation. maybe we can just agree to leave it here.
Sure. I’m speculating, nothing else. I don’t claim to know, but my defense is that I’ll never have the inside info so all I can go by is what’s publicly available.

Reactions: Felidae and zeroG

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
Go look at year 1 ekblad to year 3 or 4. There is an improvement. Then injuries and the sudden drop off the last year. Again if you’re claiming he didn’t bother to work on it yiur just plain ignorant. And it’s really as simple as that.

PSLguy

#TimeToHunt
Jan 14, 2013
Port St. Lucie, FL
nowadays, I just don't find games compelling when they become 3-point shootouts. in the 80s and 90s, 3s were the exceptions; teams had to run a half-court offense and/or be great in transition. now they just trade 3s. I watched a handful of the heat's games and enjoyed them, though both teams (conf finals at least) fell into that pattern of taking the first open 3 rather than working to generate a better shot.
Exactly the reason I stopped watching the NBA.

Reactions: zeroG

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
I don't think Ekblad is as good as his 2021-22 year suggests, by all accounts it was an anomaly I highly doubt we'll see that from him again. He's never come close to that level in any other year. He was 5th in PPG for defenseman that year! his next best PPG placements are 19th and 20th which were the 2 previous years where he dealt with injuries.

But I also don't think he's as bad as his regular season play this year given he has ample time to recover from his injuries.

So in an injury free year I expect him to be a middle of the pack , maybe an upper echelon 1D, but never a true Norris contender. Unfortunately for him though, he hasn't been injury free in 4 years and he's only getting older.

Ekblad is a warrior, I think he can rebound to the player we knew from 2019 - 2021. Remember he's only 27, that's still his prime and a lot of defenseman have their best years in their late 20s early 30s. But again, there's simply no denying how injury prone he is and for that reason, I wouldn't be opposed to moving him should the right deal come along.

Panthers Propaganda

We're a team
Oct 28, 2015
Canada
I don't think Ekblad is as good as his 2021-22 year suggests, by all accounts it was an anomaly I highly doubt we'll see that from him again. He's never come close to that level in any other year. He was 5th in PPG for defenseman that year! his next best PPG placements are 19th and 20th which were the 2 previous years where he dealt with injuries.

But I also don't think he's as bad as his regular season play this year given he has ample time to recover from his injuries.

So in an injury free year I expect him to be a middle of the pack , maybe an upper echelon 1D, but never a true Norris contender. Unfortunately for him though, he hasn't been injury free in 4 years and he's only getting older.

Ekblad is a warrior, I think he can rebound to the player we knew from 2019 - 2021. Remember he's only 27, that's still his prime and a lot of defenseman have their best years in their late 20s early 30s. But again, there's simply no denying how injury prone he is and for that reason, I wouldn't be opposed to moving him should the right deal come along.
I read this and Im like wow hes already 27, hes getting up there pushing 30, but then Im like a few months younger than him....

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad