Injury Report: Aaron Ekblad 3/28/21 (fractured leg), out fishing with the boys

zeroG

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2006
Somerville, MA
man, i sure hope this is less severe than it seems.

i was watching most of the first and second but got pulled away. when i saw the highlights and saw someone with a single digit number getting stretchered off, i thought gudas? yandle?

i was so shocked and saddened to learn it was ek. last night was such an emotional high. it was so meaningful to have him step up and win the game in dramatic fashion (twice!). that OT was such a joy to watch, maybe a top 10 moment for me (and i've seen them all), for so many reasons. what a punch in the gut. i have a glimmer of hope after getting the kids to bed and refreshing this thread.

KW

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 21, 2006
f***ing devastating injury at the worst time for this franchise. I don’t have anything else to say.
We weren’t gonna win it all this year anyway... or so the plan went. But we might be somebodies next year after Z is finished with the off-season.

Prominence Problem

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
Thinking about his injury more, and not watching any videos, is sounds like it might be a ligament issue. Usually when you fall backwards on the ice like that, it's your PCL; the back of your knee. That's what McDavid dealt with. He missed 6 months, but that was unprecedented waters. No one had ever made it back from that injury so soon.
So maybe eight months is realistic? :dunno:

Reactions: harv33173

Prominence Problem

"Some may never live, but the crazy never die."
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2002
Blue Jay Way..
Thinking about his injury more, and not watching any videos, is sounds like it might be a ligament issue. Usually when you fall backwards on the ice like that, it's your PCL; the back of your knee. That's what McDavid dealt with. He missed 6 months, but that was unprecedented waters. No one had ever made it back from that injury so soon.
So maybe eight months is realistic? :dunno:
But now that I'm thinking about it more, Ek has had more time to recover them McDavid. Didn't McDavid get hurt on the last game of the regular season? So that would be mid-april roughly. I think best case scenario Ek makes opening day roster. I'm going to say he might miss the first month of the regular season.
The next day or two will be a real telling time; if he chooses surgery or not. McDavid did not and it was a never been done before Medical treatment.

Chessarmy

Mar 16, 2009
Florida
I'm still devastated. What a bullshit way for our season to end. f***!

I just don't see how we're supposed to recover from this. The D corps isn't that deep and there is no number 1 guy anymore. Ek wasn't just a defensive stalwart, he was also helping the PP and offense generate chances/goals. I don't even want to think about how well he was playing because it just makes this more frustrating. And it HAD to happen in a year where the team was FINALLY clicking and looked to potentially make some noise.

That's just how it is, I guess. Hopefully the guys can pull together and finish strong before the inevitable first round exit.

WaitingForThatCab

#1 Nick Cousins Fan Account
Mar 11, 2017
Just want to say again that pain is not necessarily correlated with severity. Like was mentioned, the best news afterwards was that he’s flying home with the team. He’s gonna be back.

Absolutely. The fact that he wasn't sent in for immediate surgery is really good news, considering how bad it looked initially.

pb1300

#CatsAreComing
Mar 6, 2002
Αιγιο-ΕΛΛΑΔΑ
7CAFDDF6-E56D-4E52-A23C-FD959321D2FB.jpeg

scholl

Jun 26, 2019
Helsinki, Finland
This injury is really tough mentally. For years he never reached the potential he had and I was thinking that maybe a trade could be done to make the team stronger. Then he stepped up and this year Ekblad has been perhaps the best defense man in the league. To lose such a leader who can play both defensively and offensively very well in a season like this when the team finally has learned how to win feels unreal. It's difficult to describe feelings. Maybe something like wow, that escalated quickly is a way to summarize the injury situation. This sucks big time.

Swede93

Sep 14, 2009
Yeah. The worst part is that he's never been a good skater to begin with and now this. Just have to hope it doesn't affect him long term like Tro.
This was actually a positive in my mind... he doesn’t rely on his skating to be effective as much as say, Karlsson. If he can rehab well he may actually improve his skating (knock on wood) with increased focus and strength.

good thing is his IQ and hands won’t go away

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
This was actually a positive in my mind... he doesn’t rely on his skating to be effective as much as say, Karlsson. If he can rehab well he may actually improve his skating (knock on wood) with increased focus and strength.

good thing is his IQ and hands won’t go away

yeah it's going to be interesting to see which way it goes, my thinking was if he was even an average skater I don't think losing speed would affect him since he never relied on it. But since he's already borderline bad agility wise specifically any loss of mobility could really hurt. There's only so much you can compensate with high IQ.

zeroG

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2006
Somerville, MA
But now that I'm thinking about it more, Ek has had more time to recover them McDavid. Didn't McDavid get hurt on the last game of the regular season? So that would be mid-april roughly. I think best case scenario Ek makes opening day roster. I'm going to say he might miss the first month of the regular season.
The next day or two will be a real telling time; if he chooses surgery or not. McDavid did not and it was a never been done before Medical treatment.

tannehill's injury was ACL and he chose at first to forego surgery. that didn't end very well. maybe very different? i'm no orthopod.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
Absolutely. The fact that he wasn't sent in for immediate surgery is really good news, considering how bad it looked initially.
That's crazy. I couldn't see it well due to the camera angle but I thought he Joe Theismann'd that leg for sure.

Thomas Colavecchio

Mar 24, 2019

Futher comments by YouTube doctor Brian Sutterer:
Ekblad is reportedly flying home with the team, so that certainly is good news and rules out any major fracture/traumatic injury. MRI tomorrow. Given that updated information, knee ligaments and high ankle sprain would be high on the differential. Great news he's flying home as he would almost certainly still be at the hospital if it were a tibia fracture or dislocation

Of course, I hope that this insight by the Dr. is realized... I thought similarly when Q answered at the post game Q/A that Ek was indeed returning home on the team flight...rather than being hospitalized and treated in Dallas.

No matter what the evaluation reveals, as to the extent of the injury(s) and plan for treatment, I hope that Ek is able to find strength and support he will need to overcome this obstacle; to return better than ever.

Prayers to you Aaron.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad