A way to end tanking

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
My preferred lie that would never happen.

You collect regular points until you are mathematically eliminated. Once you are eliminated you start to collect draft points. Who ever has the most as misses the playoffs wins the draft.

So if you are a crap team and get eliminated with 20 games on your schedule you can get a max of 40 points but you still have to win to beat out teams that will be getting eliminated in the coming weeks and months.

Not perfect but it would at least promote winning and pushing teams to get better right to the end of the season.

It's a nice theory, but then it also eliminates trade deadline deals, as teams need to keep players for their own 'lotery run'.

Also - bad teams cant win. That's why they're getting eliminated early. They arent going to magically start winning because theyre in a draft lottery race.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
I really don’t know why anyone has a problem with “tanking”. Because the Pens got lucky and were bad at the right time more than a decade ago?

Why would a team in the bottom 10 and in purgatory not sell off assets in order to speed up a full rebuild? It’s not like the players on the ice aren’t still tryin to win games.

Honestly, if I had the choice right now of selling off Giroux, Voracek, and Simmonds for a chance at a 1-2 Dahlin / Matthews/ Laine level players or getting demolished in the first round again next year, I think I’d sell.

you would sell. But that is the whole point of the system i presented. The importance of the drafting 1-2 is so important throughout the history of the league, why allow play to be corrupted for that pick when you can disperse evenly forever.

Doogle

Jun 8, 2010
Didnt flyers just win the lottery?

Also always complaining about the officiating bias towards the Pens... hence why Hornqvist was called for embellishment on a hit that has caused him to miss two games.

Look, I'm a Pens fan. So I understand you guys not wanting to hear what I have to say. But I'm also an Eagles and Phillies fan, I spent the first ten years of my life in South Jersey, and Bob Dailey was a long time family friend until he just recently passed. I don't despise the Flyers like most Pittsburghers.

So listen to this, or don't. I don't really care. But you are never going to beat the Pens by whining about lottery results and supposedly biased officiating. Stop focusing on the Penguins. Stop chanting Crosby sucks, while your captain has 0 goals in his last 11 playoff games. Stop putting Crosby pics in your urinals. Stop letting him live rent free in your brains, and just going 'well the NHL must have rigged the lottery draft almost fifteen years ago, might as well whine about it until Crosby retires.

You have good pieces. But the lottery draft isn't why things look so dire. If anything, you lucked into Nolan Patrick this year, and he's literally the only player who looked like he was trying last night. Fire your impotent coach. Fire your arrogant GM. Make a few trades. But seriously, this thread is embarrassing.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Also always complaining about the officiating bias towards the Pens... hence why Hornqvist was called for embellishment on a hit that has caused him to miss two games.

Look, I'm a Pens fan. So I understand you guys not wanting to hear what I have to say. But I'm also an Eagles and Phillies fan, I spent the first ten years of my life in South Jersey, and Bob Dailey was a long time family friend until he just recently passed. I don't despise the Flyers like most Pittsburghers.

So listen to this, or don't. I don't really care. But you are never going to beat the Pens by whining about lottery results and supposedly biased officiating. Stop focusing on the Penguins. Stop chanting Crosby sucks, while your captain has 0 goals in his last 11 playoff games. Stop putting Crosby pics in your urinals. Stop letting him live rent free in your brains, and just going 'well the NHL must have rigged the lottery draft almost fifteen years ago, might as well whine about it until Crosby retires.

You have good pieces. But the lottery draft isn't why things look so dire. If anything, you lucked into Nolan Patrick this year, and he's literally the only player who looked like he was trying last night. Fire your impotent coach. Fire your arrogant GM. Make a few trades. But seriously, this thread is embarrassing.

I'll take the latter.

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
It's a nice theory, but then it also eliminates trade deadline deals, as teams need to keep players for their own 'lotery run'.

Also - bad teams cant win. That's why they're getting eliminated early. They arent going to magically start winning because theyre in a draft lottery race.

Yeah but the point is the bad teams get a lot more possible games to try to win. So if you play .400 hockey for the 25 games you are eliminated you could still end up with more points then another team that plays .600 hockey over the course of 10 games. (I didn't actually do the math I just think that works haha.

And the trade deadline is dead anyways. When was the last time you watched one that lived up to the hype? And you can still make the trades it just makes it so you have to weigh the pros and cons of trading somebody a little more.

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries

All I took away from this... not in the way you planned it.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Yeah but the point is the bad teams get a lot more possible games to try to win. So if you play .400 hockey for the 25 games you are eliminated you could still end up with more points then another team that plays .600 hockey over the course of 10 games. (I didn't actually do the math I just think that works haha.

And the trade deadline is dead anyways. When was the last time you watched one that lived up to the hype? And you can still make the trades it just makes it so you have to weigh the pros and cons of trading somebody a little more.

On the surface it works. But the general idea is that you want to give bad team an incentive to win when they're already out of contention. And that makes sense. But on a very basic level, they are bad teams/ out o fit already for a reason - because they cant win. So the likelihood of them 'turning it up' for a draft pick is unlikely, imo.

and yeah, the deadline sucks, but you would severely cut back on any in-season trade, not just the deadline day itself.

I saw a similar proposal on twitter the other day and it made sense at first, until I really thought about the above.

pooch

May 30, 2017
All teams that don't make the playoffs get one ping pong ball. Problem solved.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad