A true rebuild

Pavlikovsky

May 31, 2013
Gatineau, QC
Should we trade Michalek and Spezza at the deadline now that Alfie is gone this season or the next for picks/prospects and make sure we get a top 5 pick this or next year and make our rebuild properly with some high end talent to add to our already deep roster ?

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
It sounds good in theory, but you need skilled veterans for young guys to learn from.

I'm not averse to losing Michalek, but I'm antsy about trading Spezza.

Not to mention, I don't think this team is bad enough to guarantee a lottery pick even without those guys.

Look at this season.

Caje

Mar 18, 2010
No. This isn't Edmonton. You need veterans for a real rebuild.

Neil Hamburger

Five Bagger!
Jun 15, 2010
Toronto
Should we trade Michalek and Spezza at the deadline now that Alfie is gone this season or the next for picks/prospects and make sure we get a top 5 pick this or next year and make our rebuild properly with some high end talent to add to our already deep roster ?

It depends.

If you guys are in the playoffs next season at the deadline, you have no reason to get rid of your top players, as you have more than enough young talent already.

If you're out of the playoffs, if I were Murray I would consider moving players like Michalek,or even Phillips, but would hold onto Spezza. Those types of # 1 centers are hard to come by, and you might not be able to fill the void from within if you move him.

Pavlikovsky

May 31, 2013
Gatineau, QC
It depends.

If you guys are in the playoffs next season at the deadline, you have no reason to get rid of your top players, as you have more than enough young talent already.

If you're out of the playoffs, if I were Murray I would consider moving players like Michalek,or even Phillips, but would hold onto Spezza. Those types of # 1 centers are hard to come by, and you might not be able to fill the void from within if you move him.

Trading Spezza would incline a top flight prospect ++

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Holy ****ing over-panicking...why do you guys give up at the slightest hint of adversity? Let me guess, the guys should have packed it up too last year when Spezza, Karlsson, Cowen, Michalek, Anderson, etc. were all injured and the team was employing a revolving door of AHLers and rookies.

One ****ing 41 year old leaves and everyone starts losing their minds. Get a ****ing grip. Christ.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Alfie's signing elsewhere is a blessing in disguise. Obviously, it sucks... I mean, look at my username and avatar... But now that he's gone, the team suffers less of a blow next season when Phillips most likely retires or moves on. Instead of losing two of our five veteran core players in one season, we're losing our most important one(Alfie, obv.), will try to cope with it and we'll see how that goes this season, and next season we lose Phillips(IMO). We also lost Gonchar. So we're actually losing two veteran presences now, depending on if we sign someone and who we sign if we do.

Neil and Spezza remain from the 07 team in two years.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
BMurr said when we traded Fisher and Kelly, the reference point for the start of our rebuild, that it wouldnt take that long to rebuild a playoff team.

And he was right. THe rebuild is over. And now the last era is over.

The build, the steady development of a contender, we are now in a great spot to begin. WIth a whole pile of new potential Fishers amongst our draft picks.

No more silly 3 yr rebuild fantasies. No more foolish buy a cup for alfie thoughts. Just properly BUILDING a contender - the old fashioned proper way.

Alfie#11

May 7, 2003
Visit site
I wonder if it will be forced on us by other guys like Spezza etc., deciding they want out too.

This mess is a serious credibility blow to the organization.

Part of this process has to be reaching out to our core players and re-assuring them of the desire to compete and win.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Would we be saying the same thing if Alfie retired instead of signing with Detroit?

No.

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
Yes, because of one 41 year old player, we should blow up this team and start from scratch, except Murray is incapable of DOING SO BECAUSE HES A TERRIBLE GM!!!!! I!!! HATE!!!! YOU!!!! MURRAY!!!!

Pavlikovsky

May 31, 2013
Gatineau, QC
Would we be saying the same thing if Alfie retired instead of signing with Detroit?

No.

But like others have mentioned it affect our credibility to sign players now unless it really is about Alfie and not about the organisation Maybe Spezza wont want to sign with us if it is the organisation

BBB

Feb 3, 2004
I wonder if it will be forced on us by other guys like Spezza etc., deciding they want out too.

This mess is a serious credibility blow to the organization.

Part of this process has to be reaching out to our core players and re-assuring them of the desire to compete and win.

Hopefuly Murray called Spezza right away - I wonder what SPezza said...

salomonster

Oct 7, 2006
Double dot
Panic mode??

Rebuild cause of Alfie, really?

No matter how much longer he plays, he isn't what you would call a reason for rebuild, last time I checked the Sens are still in a position to make the playoffs today...

Alfie#11

May 7, 2003
Visit site
Technically we're already in a rebuilding situation.

Maybe I'm just super sour today but I'm not sure we can re-build.

It's more like re-construction. The Sens move parts around and change things.

They don't seem to have the money to build. We're not adding players to a solid base to improve, we're just swapping guys in and out.

It's like constructing a house, getting half done and then starting again. You're not actually seriously builidng toward an end goal.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Maybe I'm just super sour today but I'm not sure we can re-build.

It's more like re-construction. The Sens move parts around and change things.

They don't seem to have the money to build. We're not adding players to a solid base to improve, we're just swapping guys in and out.

It's like constructing a house, getting half done and then starting again. You're not actually seriously builidng toward an end goal.

Well, if the cap keeps going up, and some other billionnaire doesn't pop up to buy the team, you're absolutely right.

I don't really blame Melnyk.

We have very cheap ticket prices and we still complain in this city.

Maybe we just don't have the resources to maintain a competitive NHL team these days.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad