A thread to follow the marketing of Avalanche

Arto Kilponen

Oct 29, 2006
Helsinki, Finland
THere used to be several bill boards but they got taken down during the lockout and I haven't heard anything yet. They used to do commercials on TV and Radio but I haven't heard any since the lockout has been over. But I only listen to sports radio so I don't know if that counts.

(Separate quote here):

None so far. But my job entails driving virtually everywhere in the metro area over two days so I'll keep an eye out tomorrow and Thursday for you

I think the sports radio counts if it is something that is not meant directly to NHL fans. I mean, would you estimate that the people listening to the commercials there gets relevant information (like game times, ticket prices, selling locations or so) that they are not aware of before hearing the commercial?

And thanks for keeping an eye on the ads. Shouldn't be that much trouble of doing that anyway and I think that anyone who sees Avalanche as more than "well, they skate on the ice and that's it" should appreciate that. After all, we are talking about real business here (see lockout for more info) and if the only way you are doing business is "thanks and welcome again", it eats up an insanely big part of potential customers -> franchise gets less money -> franchise makes less profit -> franchise won't invest that much to personnel -> team doesn't get better players. As an example, see O'Reilly situation with these "Sorry, got to save for re-signing our young players"-reasons.

edit. http://www.milehighhockey.com/2013/1/8/3853418/ryan-oreilly-avalanche-contract-negotiations-2012 guesses that Avs salary cap roof is at 50 million. Naturally the league roof is a different thing, each team has their own as well. If the Avs cap roof is that low (compared to the rest of the NHL), I totally think that marketing might be useful.

Last edited:

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I got tickets for the Burgandy and White game. ThenI got a refund during the middle stages of the lockout.

Now I got email from Avs stating that I get two free tickets in the lower bowl against the Sharks somewhere in March, probably there way of getting the fans back.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
Just saw commercial for Avs on SNL (they tend to run them a lot during SNL for some reason??)

"Hockey Is Back" is our motto this year.

Who's the MBA grad who revolutionizes these slogans?

Bubba Thudd

is getting banned
Jul 19, 2005
Avaland
Just saw commercial for Avs on SNL (they tend to run them a lot during SNL for some reason??)

"Hockey Is Back" is our motto this year.

Who's the MBA grad who revolutionizes these slogans?

The full slogan is "Don't Expect Much, Just Be Glad That Hockey Is Back"

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
When you have an organization that values secrecy and loyalty above all else, it's not surprising that the marketing of this club is so generic and uninspiring.

Sad that these guys pull in so much money and the best marketing tool for the team the last two years has been Matt Duchene's Twitter feed.

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
By the end of it, I still wasn't sure if I was ready. :laugh:

It was like a car crash.. I was so disgusted but I couldn't look away.. I really hope it shows up on the internet somewhere. I'm surprised there isn't more of an uproar about it; living in southern Ontario I know that if the Leafs did something like that the organization would never hear the end of it (see Ottawa's 300 idea)

Frenchy

Administrator
Sep 16, 2006
϶(°o°)ϵ

That was a great idea to make those , the first one with Landeskog was funnier that the one with Duchene . They should make more , because from a marketing POV i think that's a good idea to make ads like that , especially with avs fans in their teenage's years .

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Cheesy, but those were really well done.

Now post them all over the local news and make more especially one with SoB.

McDooRoo

Feb 24, 2013
Wyoming
I was in Denver for the Hawks game (March 8th) and I don't remember seeing anything related to Avs marketing other than at Dick's at Park Meadows.

Sheet

Apr 1, 2013
There was a 4 sided display on 16th street near good times that had duch, lando, varly, and staz.

Like a month ago.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Duchene shouldn't be eating that pizza. Ruining his diet. ;)

My first thought as well but since this was his job, he couldn't turn it down...Poor kid...I'd be missing pizza so much that I'd probably flub about 50 takes just to get more bites in.

SlowSkates

Jun 9, 2010
Duchene shouldn't be eating that pizza. Ruining his diet. ;)

Interestingly, I very briefly saw into an NHL locker room last week a couple minutes after a game and saw players grabbing slices from pizza boxes and wolfing it down...maybe he needs MORE pizza. :)

PowderedToast76

Feb 12, 2010
For several years now I can't even find a schedule anywhere, with exception to this year when I was at a game and found a pile of them on the tables by the bar. I go to gas stations and liquor stores and see every other teams schedules on the counter, including the Eagles, but no Avs. I'd like to think it's because they're too embarrassed to put them on their counters, but I'm pretty sure if that was the case then I'd at least find one somewhere other than at the Can.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Only the Jackets and the Panthers averaged fewer viewers per game than the Avalanche this season. Even Phoenix beat us. Yikes. The average was 13,000 households. This means that there were probably many games where there were more people watching in person than on TV.

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2013/04/29/Media/NHL-RSNs.aspx

While it's easy for me to believe that the AVs are in the basement when it comes to viewership, I don't know how much faith I have in Nielsen ratings in the 21st century. We're in a digital age with people DVRing up to six shows at one time and watching them later, ordering entertainment (Game Center Live) online and watching recaps or full length games at a later time but these ratings are still based on pamphlets that get mailed out to a small number of people who write down what they are watching at any given time and send it back in for a dollar. Call me crazy, but I've never been a believer in those numbers. There are many reasons why Nielsen ratings should be taken with a large grain of salt but I've probably already overstayed my welcome on the soap box.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad