A thread to follow the marketing of Avalanche

Arto Kilponen

Oct 29, 2006
Helsinki, Finland
I'd like people of Denver (or even Colorado) post here the places where you spot Avalanche marketing efforts (about upcoming games, merchandise etc.). The places that does not count are where people are aware anyway like, say, Denver Post sports section, Altitude and Pepsi Center. Instead I'd like to see places like bus stops ads (I could show local Jokerit-ad from here for example), advertisement that is released in local radio/TV-channels (other than Altitude), newspaper ads outside of sports pages of Denver Post, internet ads outside of Avalanche / NHL sites and everything like that where the expected audience is not already seeing Avalanche everywhere i.e. new customers, instead of "boosting" the old ones.

I'm not sure if visits to Children Hospital etc. counts too, because I'm not sure if we can be cold enough to say that is about marketing instead of pure charity without any secondary PR-efforts.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Terrible, I've seen Avs on billboards round some terrible spots like Colfax, Hampden, etc.

They also have a local deal with King Soopers (local grocery store), but I honestly have no idea what the deal is about. I think you get like 10% discount off tickets. Also we have a deal with Subway, but I doubt if anyone actually goes if the Avs win the previous day.

Last edited:

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Terrible, I've seen Avs on billboards round some terrible spots like Colfax, Hampden, etc.

They also have a local deal with King Soopers (local grocery store), but I honestly have no idea what the deal is about. I think you get like 10% discount off tickets. Also we have a deal with Subway, but I doubt if anyone actually goes if the Avs win the previous day.

You mean I have to hear about those $2 footlong Cold Cut Combo or Meatball Marinara subs ten times a game from McNab for NOTHING?

ColoradoSportsFan

Jul 16, 2005
Denver, Colorado
Before the lockout there were two huge billboards inside Park Meadows mall. One with Staz, EJ and Lando and one with Duchene, Varly and someone else(not ROR). They were replaced by Nuggets versions once the lockout started but they might comeback now.

Nzap

lunaR Pad
Jul 19, 2011
Parma
Instead I'd like to see places like bus stops ads
I've been under impression that there aren't a whole lot of buses roaming around Denver, but I could be wrong.
I know this is a bit off-topic but how is the public transport around the Pepsi Center? Is it possible to come there by bus/train/tram from other locations or is it mostly by car?

And JF, the Jokerit ads have been terrible and few and far between until a few months ago, so I don't know if that's the best example to choose.

Arto Kilponen

Oct 29, 2006
Helsinki, Finland
And JF, the Jokerit ads have been terrible and few and far between until a few months ago, so I don't know if that's the best example to choose.

I think it is a great example when someone asks "WTF is bus stop advertisement?". Note that this says absolutely nothing about Jokerit advertisement in general level.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
90% of people use cars, but for the people outside of Denver majority of them use light rail (electric train) which runs all over the place. Light rail is a lot like the metro trains you find in Europe.

@Jarvis: sadly, yes. :facepalm:

Arto Kilponen

Oct 29, 2006
Helsinki, Finland
90% of people use cars, but for the people outside of Denver majority of them use light rail (electric train) which runs all over the place. Light rail is a lot like the metro trains you find in Europe.

@Jarvis: sadly, yes. :facepalm:

What's the latest with FasTracks? Could that be used for ads?

Arto Kilponen

Oct 29, 2006
Helsinki, Finland
What is Fastrack? On light rail they have been using a lot of ads, but I haven't seen any sports.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FasTracks

FasTracks is a twelve-year, $6.5 billion public transportation expansion plan, currently under construction, for the Denver-Aurora and Boulder metropolitan areas in Colorado, USA, developed by the Regional Transportation District. The plan calls for six light rail, diesel commuter rail, and electric commuter rail lines with a combined length of 119 miles (192 km) to be opened between 2013 and 2016 to provide commuters an alternative to the region's congested roads and highways. It expands on previous transportation projects, notably T-REX. The plan also includes the expansion of existing light rail stations, the addition of a bus-based rapid transit route between Denver and Boulder, and the addition and expansion of bus routes and parking facilities to support the new rail lines.

edit. Here's the map: http://www.rtd-fastracks.com/systemmap.php

the only way you hear about the avs in this town is if you buy a subaru.

That's not cool. Not even SubaCool.

macPSU

No more rats
May 13, 2011
New Jersey
You mean I have to hear about those $2 footlong Cold Cut Combo or Meatball Marinara subs ten times a game from McNab for NOTHING?

One of my buddies' Avs jokes revolves around the $2 meatball marinaras in Denver, or the lack thereof. I watch all of the Avs games on Center Ice, being from New Jersey. My buddies are all Rangers/Devils fans but they've seen their fair share of Avs games over the years by association.

It's always cracked me up; of all things to remember from an Avs broadcast, the $2 sandwiches are what stick with people. That, and the 8 local Subaru dealers that advertise during any given game. The marketing's working.

Last edited:

Arto Kilponen

Oct 29, 2006
Helsinki, Finland
One of my buddies' Avs jokes revolves around the $2 meatball marinaras in Denver, or the lack thereof. I watch all of the Avs games on Center Ice, being from New Jersey. My buddies are all Rangers/Devils fans but they've seen their fair share of Avs games over the years by association.

It's always cracked me up; of all things to remember from an Avs broadcast, the $2 sandwiches are what stick with people. That, and the 8 local Subaru dealers that advertise during any given game. The marketing's working.

While sure, the idea is to be remembered, the ones who sees these are already watching hockey - so not really drawing in new audience.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FasTracks

FasTracks is a twelve-year, $6.5 billion public transportation expansion plan, currently under construction, for the Denver-Aurora and Boulder metropolitan areas in Colorado, USA, developed by the Regional Transportation District. The plan calls for six light rail, diesel commuter rail, and electric commuter rail lines with a combined length of 119 miles (192 km) to be opened between 2013 and 2016 to provide commuters an alternative to the region's congested roads and highways. It expands on previous transportation projects, notably T-REX. The plan also includes the expansion of existing light rail stations, the addition of a bus-based rapid transit route between Denver and Boulder, and the addition and expansion of bus routes and parking facilities to support the new rail lines.

edit. Here's the map: http://www.rtd-fastracks.com/systemmap.php
They're finally getting lines up to Boulder. I would love to be able to just ride the train down to a game from here.

If CDOT had any sense they would have gone the other way and started the line at Boulder to Louisville and built down.

Arto Kilponen

Oct 29, 2006
Helsinki, Finland
They're finally getting lines up to Boulder. I would love to be able to just ride the train down to a game from here.

If CDOT had any sense they would have gone the other way and started the line at Boulder to Louisville and built down.

What do you think, would the trains be good spots to place ads about Avs? That for sure would be seen by outsiders - and that's exactly what I'm looking here for: How do Avs market themselves to new potential customers?

IceRat

#BallsOutTheDoor
Mar 4, 2011
The Avalanche suck at marketing
this team doesn't even have an official iOS team app and it's the year 2013

Hans Landaskog

Feb 27, 2012
Denver
Thanks for getting the Subaru song in my head.

Subarus are subacool and suba-fun-to-drive...

yadda yadda yadda GROOVE SUBARU

Landeslog

Nov 17, 2009
Denver
THere used to be several bill boards but they got taken down during the lockout and I haven't heard anything yet. They used to do commercials on TV and Radio but I haven't heard any since the lockout has been over. But I only listen to sports radio so I don't know if that counts.
And we have a decent bus system here. It's easier for me to take the bus to games than drive there. Especially to Broncos and Rockies games. But if it's not terribly cold I don't mind the bus for Avs games (although, we live a 10 second walk from the park and ride with the express bus that goes straight downtown, if we had to drive to a bus stop we'd never used it)

Landeslog

Nov 17, 2009
Denver
Now that season is coming and it is the hottest time to sell season tickets, where have you spotted (spot?) ads?

None so far. But my job entails driving virtually everywhere in the metro area over two days so I'll keep an eye out tomorrow and Thursday for you

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad