Speculation: A Tale of 3 Games

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
I really think these next three games decide our fate moving forward. These are my favorite two to win it all. What do you consider the outcome if we sweep, split or lose all 3? When do you decide a deal or deals is/are in the Blues best interest looking past this season?

Reactions: Cotton McKnight

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
I expect the Blues to win at least one of these games and get a point from another. 3 points out of Tampa and Nashville x2 isn't anything to feel bad about. The next 3 games are most important because they're the games the Blues have in hand for the WC spot, less so because they're "measuring stick" games; the Blues have shown they can play with and beat the good teams in the league, it's the clunkers against CHI, LA, VAN, etc. that have hurt them. So if they lose all 3 that is a massive missed opportunity, but I wouldn't write the season off because of it. The Ducks are butt, the Avalanche are getting ECHL goaltending, the Wild are petering out and just lost Koivu for the year. I mean, the Blackhawks have worked their way back into the picture for god's sake. The goal is and should remain making the playoffs, this year of all years, with the conference shaking out the way it is. I think we're past the point where Armstrong is going to make a big move mid-season, regardless of how theses games go.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
If we can go 1-1-1 in these next three then we might honestly gain ground on some of these shit teams in the West. It’s going to be tough. I don’t have much faith in beating Tampa, but I think we can take one of the two against Nashville. They don’t impress me nearly as much as Tampa. We’re going to need Binnington to stand on his head to have a chance against the Lightning, but we’ve been able to control games against the Preds so I wouldn’t be shocked to see it happen again.

Cotton McKnight

He left, get over it!
Feb 6, 2009
Siloam Springs
I'm feeling nervous about these next three games. If the team can continue the way they've been playing it will be great.

But if they fold and can't handle the pressure, break it all up, lose for the tank! (we may have trouble beating ANH to the bottom)

2-0-1 or 2-1-0 is the beginning point for me believing this team can make run to the playoffs. Now our chances in the playoffs, we'll need the odds of match-up on our side.

Vladdy the Impaler

Moar Sobotka
Feb 20, 2015
The Lou
I have a hunch we'll just come out an blow Tampa away. Nashville will come out strong and beat us in the first game, but then we'll win in OT for the 2nd. Blues are HOT right now.

Just a hunch.

Reactions: shmotz

Novacain

Feb 24, 2012
I'm feeling nervous about these next three games. If the team can continue the way they've been playing it will be great.

But if they fold and can't handle the pressure, break it all up, lose for the tank! (we may have trouble beating ANH to the bottom)

2-0-1 or 2-1-0 is the beginning point for me believing this team can make run to the playoffs. Now our chances in the playoffs, we'll need the odds of match-up on our side.

Make a run "to" the playoffs? We are literally a point out with 3 games in hand,

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
Even if the Blues lose the next 3, they're still sitting well for the playoffs with the easier schedule the last month. But I'd much rather the team show that they're ready to compete with anybody.

Agree. Id be happy going 1-2 or 1-1-1. The schedule does seem more manageable coming up

STLegend

Feb 20, 2010
Montanuh
I expect the Blues to win at least one of these games and get a point from another. 3 points out of Tampa and Nashville x2 isn't anything to feel bad about. The next 3 games are most important because they're the games the Blues have in hand for the WC spot, less so because they're "measuring stick" games; the Blues have shown they can play with and beat the good teams in the league, it's the clunkers against CHI, LA, VAN, etc. that have hurt them. So if they lose all 3 that is a massive missed opportunity, but I wouldn't write the season off because of it. The Ducks are butt, the Avalanche are getting ECHL goaltending, the Wild are petering out and just lost Koivu for the year. I mean, the Blackhawks have worked their way back into the picture for god's sake. The goal is and should remain making the playoffs, this year of all years, with the conference shaking out the way it is. I think we're past the point where Armstrong is going to make a big move mid-season, regardless of how theses games go.

Not really though. Pretty much everyone plays tonight and Saturday, by having a back to back on Sunday we are moving to 2 games in hand. Except we will still have same # of games differential to Nashville since we are playing them. CO & MIN are also playing back to back so # of games doesn't change compared to them either.

The TB game is what it is, more of a measuring stick. But with Nashville being a division rival and a team we may have to beat if we make it to the playoffs, it is much more than a measuring stick or a way to gain points in the WC race. It will be critical to this team believing in themselves, and that if they make the playoffs that they have a real shot at getting past the Central.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
The next 3 games are obviously important but will not drastically alter how I see this team/season.

Eldon Reid

Dec 13, 2018
Remember what is funny with the Blues. They always have played well against the top teams.

Top 9 teams 11-6-2
Bottom 21 13-16-3

I expect 2-1 or 1-0-2. I would hope to get minimum 3 points. Would love to get at least 4.

Halak Ness Monster

Nov 11, 2010
St. Louis, MO
I don't think these 3 games decide our fate at all unless we get blown out and lose all confidence.

There's still enough time, enough games in hand, and the rest of the conference is largely trash.

I mean we're 1 point behind VAN with 3 games in hand for the 8th spot. Just assuming we're the only team that plays over the next 4 days, we'll still just be 1 point behind VAN for the 8th seed if we go 0-3. Of course others would then have a game or two in hand but you get the idea. It's all close.

I thought the most important game of the week was Florida. Gotta start winning games we should win. And we did!

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
The points are less important than coming out of these games with a belief that the Blues can be competitive in a series against either of these teams, especially Nashville. I'd love a split. But if the Blues were to win both, they might actually start getting noticed by the league-wide media. More likely it would just be taken as a sign that Nashville is struggling.

Reactions: Stealth JD

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Hopefully we can go at least 1-1-1.

The thing I'm most interested in just now is who the starting goalie is tonight.

ItsOnlytheRiver

Mar 25, 2010
We have Phoenix in a week. When was the last time we played them to even a close game? Oof. I’m thinking about attending that one but it might be ugly.

Reactions: BlueDream

Halak Ness Monster

Nov 11, 2010
St. Louis, MO
Hopefully we can go at least 1-1-1.

The thing I'm most interested in just now is who the starting goalie is tonight.

I'd go with Allen in TB and NSH.

We don't expect to win these two games so give it to the backup and let the starter rest. Binnington may not be ready for a starter's workload so we need to rest him as much as possible when it makes sense.

And who knows, Allen may surprise us. He has had some really good games on the road vs. playoff teams this year.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
I'd go with Allen in TB and NSH.

We don't expect to win these two games so give it to the backup and let the starter rest. Binnington may not be ready for a starter's workload so we need to rest him as much as possible when it makes sense.

And who knows, Allen may surprise us. He has had some really good games on the road vs. playoff teams this year.
I just wouldn't want to be commiting to playing a goalie that hasn't played in 3 weeks to starting twice over the next few days. If Binnington has issues with the workload then we can cross that bridge when we come to it.

If Allen plays well on his start at the weekend then start him against the Devils on Tueday and we can split the starts 2-2 next week.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
Not really though. Pretty much everyone plays tonight and Saturday, by having a back to back on Sunday we are moving to 2 games in hand. Except we will still have same # of games differential to Nashville since we are playing them. CO & MIN are also playing back to back so # of games doesn't change compared to them either.

The TB game is what it is, more of a measuring stick. But with Nashville being a division rival and a team we may have to beat if we make it to the playoffs, it is much more than a measuring stick or a way to gain points in the WC race. It will be critical to this team believing in themselves, and that if they make the playoffs that they have a real shot at getting past the Central.
Fair enough re: the WC race. I don’t see the games against Nashville as “critical” though. If the Blues make the playoffs they will undoubtedly be feeling confident as they came back from a hole -with help from every other team shitting the bed, to be fair- and will like their chances against any team. Would it be nice for them to beat Nashville twice? Of course, it’s always nice to beat divisional teams. The playoffs are just a completely different animal, and I don’t think either team will be putting a whole lot of stock in two games from early February.

WeWentBlues

May 3, 2017
We have Phoenix in a week. When was the last time we played them to even a close game? Oof. I’m thinking about attending that one but it might be ugly.
November 9, 2017 3-2 (SO)

We had a 12 game win streak against them until recently. 2018 games against Arizona were not pretty, outscored 17-3 in 3 games. Here's to hoping 2019 is better.

mcubed.net : NHL : Series records : St. Louis Blues against Arizona Coyotes
A 2018/12/01 St. Louis Blues 1 - Arizona Coyotes 6 L
A 2018/03/31 St. Louis Blues 0 - Arizona Coyotes 6 L
H 2018/01/20 St. Louis Blues 2 - Arizona Coyotes 5 L
H 2017/11/09 St. Louis Blues 3 - Arizona Coyotes 2 (SO) W
A 2017/03/29 St. Louis Blues 3 - Arizona Coyotes 1 W
H 2017/03/27 St. Louis Blues 4 - Arizona Coyotes 1 W
A 2017/03/18 St. Louis Blues 3 - Arizona Coyotes 0 W
H 2016/04/04 St. Louis Blues 5 - Arizona Coyotes 2 W
A 2016/02/20 St. Louis Blues 6 - Arizona Coyotes 4 W
H 2015/12/08 St. Louis Blues 4 - Arizona Coyotes 1 W
H 2015/02/10 St. Louis Blues 2 - Arizona Coyotes 1 W
A 2015/01/06 St. Louis Blues 6 - Arizona Coyotes 0 W
A 2014/10/18 St. Louis Blues 6 - Arizona Coyotes 1 W
A 2014/03/02 St. Louis Blues 4 - Phoenix Coyotes 2 W
H 2014/01/14 St. Louis Blues 2 - Phoenix Coyotes 1 W

Reactions: Driveshaft

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
The outcome of these 3 games will not impact my belief about making the playoffs no matter how we do. I said it in another thread, but I'm officially on board the idea that playoffs are an expectation and not a possibility. This Conference is awful. Colorado, Anaheim and Edmonton are in complete tail spins and the Koivu injury is a huge loss for Minnesota (who was already feeling the loss of Dumba). We will still be well within striking distance even if we lose all 3 in regulation and I'm confident that they would overcome the setback.

With that said, getting 2-4 points out of these 3 games would make the rest of the season a lot easier and more comfortable.

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
Before the 2 games against Columbus and Florida, I told myself I’d be happy with 3 wins out of the 5. So far 2-0, so one of these next three is fine with me, and anything else is gravy.

ItsOnlytheRiver

Mar 25, 2010
November 9, 2017 3-2 (SO)

We had a 12 game win streak against them until recently. 2018 games against Arizona were not pretty, outscored 17-3 in 3 games. Here's to hoping 2019 is better.

mcubed.net : NHL : Series records : St. Louis Blues against Arizona Coyotes
A 2018/12/01 St. Louis Blues 1 - Arizona Coyotes 6 L
A 2018/03/31 St. Louis Blues 0 - Arizona Coyotes 6 L
H 2018/01/20 St. Louis Blues 2 - Arizona Coyotes 5 L
H 2017/11/09 St. Louis Blues 3 - Arizona Coyotes 2 (SO) W
A 2017/03/29 St. Louis Blues 3 - Arizona Coyotes 1 W
H 2017/03/27 St. Louis Blues 4 - Arizona Coyotes 1 W
A 2017/03/18 St. Louis Blues 3 - Arizona Coyotes 0 W
H 2016/04/04 St. Louis Blues 5 - Arizona Coyotes 2 W
A 2016/02/20 St. Louis Blues 6 - Arizona Coyotes 4 W
H 2015/12/08 St. Louis Blues 4 - Arizona Coyotes 1 W
H 2015/02/10 St. Louis Blues 2 - Arizona Coyotes 1 W