Speculation: A Tale of 3 Games

STL BLUES

Youth Movement
Oct 22, 2013
Up-Nort
Binnington is the hot hand. Play him tonight. He’s had plenty of rest. Let him beat the Bolts and the teams confidence will soar. If he falters he gains the experience of seeing the top NHL team. He’s the guy that turned our fortunes around. Blues have nothing to lose and everything to gain tonight. Let’s raise our ceiling!!!

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
I apologize for not being more specific. My point was more of playing for a cup or playing for the playoffs. I’m pretty convinced we can make the playoffs, but I’m not convinced that we need to be playing for the cup. Perhaps one or two deals could set us up as a cup team in two years, if we really aren’t there now. If we walk through these three games, then I may think otherwise. We may actually have a shot.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
The outcome of these 3 games will not impact my belief about making the playoffs no matter how we do. I said it in another thread, but I'm officially on board the idea that playoffs are an expectation and not a possibility. This Conference is awful. Colorado, Anaheim and Edmonton are in complete tail spins and the Koivu injury is a huge loss for Minnesota (who was already feeling the loss of Dumba). We will still be well within striking distance even if we lose all 3 in regulation and I'm confident that they would overcome the setback.

With that said, getting 2-4 points out of these 3 games would make the rest of the season a lot easier and more comfortable.

I've been thinking that exact thing since December. There is no excuse for missing the playoffs, regardless of how bad of a start they got off to.

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
I've been thinking that exact thing since December. There is no excuse for missing the playoffs, regardless of how bad of a start they got off to.

Haha, I know you have. While I was optimistic and pushing the "we really shouldn't be outright tanking at the moment" opinion, I was not nearly as confident as you. I knew the West wasn't good, but I didn't think it was this bad.

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Haha, I know you have. While I was optimistic and pushing the "we really shouldn't be outright tanking at the moment" opinion, I was not nearly as confident as you. I knew the West wasn't good, but I didn't think it was this bad.
Good for you guys, but I started the True Believers thread in December, to the scorn and ridicule of several posters here. :D Part of that (as stated in the first post) was that I wasn't impressed with the competition in the conference. I felt the Blues could make up ground. No, I never imagined it would be this dramatic, or that the rest of the 'contenders' for the wildcard would swoon this badly.

Its nice to see that my read on the situation was close. But mostly, I just am happy to have meaningful hockey games to see. I'm going to several games next month, and didn't want to be watching a team just going through the motions after having sold off its assets.

Reactions: Stealth JD

STL BLUES

Youth Movement
Oct 22, 2013
Up-Nort
Three key events happened that changed the trajectory of this team:

1.) Craig Berube rebuilding what seemed impossible to rebuild
2.) Larry Robinson having a profound influence on some of our D players. Especially Parayko & Bouwmeester. Remember when Parayko laughed at Yeo during a time out?
3.) Binnington - Without JB we wouldn’t be having this conversation. He was the missing piece to our success equation.

I’d also add DP57 becoming the inspirational player that few of us saw. I totally love DP57 and what he brings to the table. I want him back but not before he’s ready. Insert DP57 and wow.

Can we bring back Larry Robinson for another one month deployment?

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
You’re saying Tampa was mailing it in last night? I beg to differ. That was 2 teams in a playoff like atmosphere.
I’m not saying they were, but do they have another more desperate gear? I don’t know. They aren’t desperate. They are 9 points ahead of everyone. They aren’t wearing their horses on their team out night after night yet.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
I’m not saying they were, but do they have another more desperate gear? I don’t know. They aren’t desperate. They are 9 points ahead of everyone. They aren’t wearing their horses on their team out night after night yet.

Kucherov played 21 minutes, Stamkos played 19, Hedman played 27, Stralman played 21. Obviously some of that was inflated by OT and the amount of PK time but it wasn’t like Tampa’s top guys weren’t playing their normal minutes.

You can’t knock the Blues for a perceived lack of desperation from the other team (which I don’t agree that Tampa was somehow content to lose that game.) The Blues played a good game against the best team in the league and shut them out at home. There’s no negative spin to put on it, except maybe the lack of finish, but Vasy was lights out.

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
Kucherov played 21 minutes, Stamkos played 19, Hedman played 27, Stralman played 21. Obviously some of that was inflated by OT and the amount of PK time but it wasn’t like Tampa’s top guys weren’t playing their normal minutes.

You can’t knock the Blues for a perceived lack of desperation from the other team (which I don’t agree that Tampa was somehow content to lose that game.) The Blues played a good game against the best team in the league and shut them out at home. There’s no negative spin to put on it, except maybe the lack of finish, but Vasy was lights out.
So you did notice they turned it up a notch in the second period. I did. The Blues played an awesome game.

Here you go. OMG the Blues are coming. Batten down the hatches. Our whole season comes down to this one game. We can Tank afterwards, because life won’t be worth living. Don’t see them having the same attitude about this game as us.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
So you did notice they turned it up a notch in the second period. I did. The Blues played an awesome game.

Here you go. OMG the Blues are coming. Batten down the hatches. Our whole season comes down to this one game. We can Tank afterwards, because life won’t be worth living. Don’t see them having the same attitude about this game as us.
I really don’t even know what you’re trying to say here? I’m not acting like the whole season came down to this game, or even this stretch of 3 games. You said Tampa doesn’t have anything to play for and weren’t playing their top guys. I posted TOI for Tampa’s big guys and said the Blues played a good game.

Punished ROR

a hero denied by hortons
Jul 3, 2006
Re: "[Tampa] had nothing to play for"

The statement is obviously a bit extreme when taken literally, but I agree with the spirit of it -- the Blues were fired up and came ready to play their absolute best game against the top team in the league. On the other hand, Tampa is naturally a very good team that can beat most teams without giving their 100% best effort. It can be hard for good teams at the top of the standings to wake up for what is, to them, just another regular season game.

I don't believe for a second we saw Tampa's very best effort, but that was the best Blues game I've seen all season. Blues had a lot more riding on this game than Tampa did, and it showed.

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box

The statement is obviously a bit extreme when taken literally, but I agree with the spirit of it -- the Blues were fired up and came ready to play their absolute best game against the top team in the league. On the other hand, Tampa is naturally a very good team that can beat most teams without giving their 100% best effort. It can be hard for good teams at the top of the standings to wake up for what is, to them, just another regular season game.

I don't believe for a second we saw Tampa's very best effort, but that was the best Blues game I've seen all season. Blues had a lot more riding on this game than Tampa did, and it showed.
Thanks for putting my words more eloquently. That’s really what I meant.

Reactions: Punished ROR

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014

I agree with most of this, with the exception being the play of Vasilevski. That was his absolute A game and there is no 'other gear' for him to find in a more meaningful game. The odds of him having that type of performance even 50% of the time in a full playoff series are incredibly slim.

Reactions: Punished ROR

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad