A Tale of 2 Hobey Baker Finalists.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I got excited after reading the title expecting some player comparisons, maybe even reading about Brendan Smith. Instead it's another Ken Holland thread - so disappointing.

It was nice to see Brendan Smith taking 4 stupid penaties yesterday, in one game.

One was pretty cool "Brendan Smith special", playing the puck inside from the penalty box, which did cause another penalty after one just stopped. :laugh:

Reactions: Sentinel

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
In both cases, they didn't artificially find themselves there because they were chasing the top pick. They sold players off for other reasons. The Pens were financially screwed and the Caps just made a whole load of bad trades in a row.
Agree Pittsburgh was in financial trouble, but the Caps tanked on purpose. They sold off all of their assets because Jagr wasn't selling tickets and the team sucked because the vets were mailing it in. It was a very deliberate rebuild, they kept the same GM (McPhee) through all of it until he couldn't make it past the second round.

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
for what its worth, they are the tied for the 4th oldest team in the league. only pittsburgh, la, and minnesota are older and they are tied with san jose.
NHL: Roster Breakdowns by Age

Yeah, and to be fair they'll be a lot younger next year without Vanek/Kronwall. They really spike the average age on the team.

I'm not a super fan of Holland, infact I think it's time to move on. I'm just not setting him on fire for the last two years, he's been reasonable.

Not sure about this extension for Blashill either, I don't like it personally, but if it's what ownership wants to bridge the gap for Yzerman, what can he do? What really hate most of all is that the Organization/Holland/Ownership/ The Red Wings didn't even look at who was available or who was about to pick and choose from.

JustJokinenAround

just a goofball
Feb 5, 2018
a local rink
Yeah, and to be fair they'll be a lot younger next year without Vanek/Kronwall. They really spike the average age on the team.

I'm not a super fan of Holland, infact I think it's time to move on. I'm just not setting him on fire for the last two years, he's been reasonable.

Not sure about this extension for Blashill either, I don't like it personally, but if it's what ownership wants to bridge the gap for Yzerman, what can he do? What really hate most of all is that the Organization/Holland/Ownership/ The Red Wings didn't even look at who was available or who was about to pick and choose from.
i'm convinced kronwall is back.

i don't love blashill by any means, but realistically this year wouldn't have been any better with any coach. if quenneville is interested i would like quenneville, but they aren't competing for anything next year so if blashill is here it is what it is. when they are ready to contend i think they will go find a coach to lead them.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

I will ask this for the 85th time this year, what makes everyone think Yzerman doesn't know this?

Nyquist entered a much better version of the Wings, the current young Wings are getting a lot more opportunity as is to be expected. In any event it also ignores the several ways that taking one instance and trying to haphazardly smash it to another when the real goal is really an old cycled reason isn't a ton of fun. But not sure this is really adding much to discussions we aren't already having around here in well almost every thread.... But I will give this advanced warning, we are going to need to start merging and combining threads an awful lot more if this keeps up. I realize it is tough watching a team where we are and have tried to be patient a lot. Really though, there has to be a place for us to talk hockey and not just play 18 year old kids across the board and **** everyone currently here management, coaching wise and players above the age of 25... I think we are getting to about that time ladies, gentleman and other, this is getting pretty exhausting to watch.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad